ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Got Pulled Over on Saturday... anyone with similar experiences?

Went home to see my folks on Saturday. On my way there, I took a busy 2 lane road which is about a 2 mile straight, notorious for speed traps. I was probably going a hair under 50 in a 40mph thinking that was a safe range to keep within. At the end of the straight, I make my right turn to get onto the locals and I notice a cop in my rear mirror. The road I was just on was empty so I would’ve noticed him before… he must’ve pulled out of a side street while I passed him. It’s obvious that he’s pacing me so I keep it at 30mph, in a 25mph… I didn’t want to make it too obvious by going 25mph which we all know is ridiculously slow. But sure enough, I see the sirens flip on 2 mins later and I pull over.

I rolled both my windows down b/c I’m tinted and didn’t want any issues. Luckily they’re only 50% and given the nice sunny weather, I doubt he even noticed but wanted to play it safe. He approaches my car slowly, and asks for my registration/insurance, no license. I say “sure thing officer” and hand him my papers. I then politely ask “was I speeding sir?” he responds “no… reason I pulled you over is because you have no front plate.” Told him that my plate bracket (which is the hideaway style) was torn off last week during all the snow we had but I do have it in my trunk and I was going to put it on first chance I had. He asks me to pull it out and show it to him which I did. He then asks where I’m from where and where I’m headed. Making sure to answer each question politely with a respectful tone, I tell him I’m visiting my folks today and I grew up in this town. His last question to me was “why do you have so many points on your license?” LOL…. Told him last year was bad luck, 2 violations = 6 pts but I never bothered to go to court b/c I knew I was guilty, I told him I didn’t want to waste the court or officer’s time. He liked that response…

At this point I’m thinking to myself “ok this isn’t too bad… he’s not returning to his car to write up a ticket so hopefully I can get off soon.” I’m wondering what he could possibly then ask and right then he says “how do you like your car? Why didn’t you get the convertible?” HAHAHAHA… i think this guy likes my whip! He wondered what I did for a living (I look really young for my age)…. He then asked what I did with my “stock rims”? At that point I relaxed a bit, told him pros/cons of the car (mostly pros of course!) and he then let me off, final advice being to drive safe and put that plate back on asap.

Anyone else run into similar experiences? One thing I've noticed is this car attracts alot of attention, sometimes good, sometimes bad...

Last edited by 3002 tii; 03-08-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
a13xkim
Rep
Drives: 06 z4m roadster, 16 x5 msport

had a similar response back when i had a g35 coupe, didnt get pulled over but came across two cops facing opposite directions in the middle of the road doing a DWI check point in the middle of the night. Obviously wasnt drunk but was going a tad bit fast but he was cool and let me and my buddy go commenting and asking about the car. but no such luck here in NY with a MDX... i get in more trouble in an SUV than i did in a sports car... sigh... maybe getting a M roadster is the answer to problem haha
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Actually yes. I was doing about 20 over and got pulled over by a cop (who didn't have time to clock me thankfully) and he wrote me up for no front plate (even though it was hanging in the windshield at that time).

He commented on how small the car was and said that it was a cool car. Then the bastage gave me a ticket anyway. I was just glad he didn't clock me.

Another time (couple years ago) I had my bright green ZX-7R out and was doing some twisties on my way down to go skydiving one morning and I pop over a hill and pass a cop. He clocked me at 24 over but only wrote me for 10 over after we got to talking about skydiving. He apparently had always wanted to try it, haha. I was just lucky he didn't catch me earlier, I was doing about 110 in a 55 cause there was no traffic out. I had just slowed down cause I saw a few dead animals on the road and don't particularily like the thought of going down.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Put your plate on. Why give them such an EASY excuse to pull you over?

I had a MD state trooper once follow me for three miles before pulling me over for, get this, having a COVER over my rear plate. This was just a plain, clear cover, to keep it clean. The plate was perfectly visible.

He said it was illegal to have ANY sort of plate cover in MD. When I asked him why it was then legal to SELL them in every auto parts store in the state, but illegal to use them, he didn't have an answer.

When I equated that with making it illegal to posses cocaine, but perfectly legal to sell it, that's when he also noted my tint looked a little dark, and wrote me up to have it tested, even though I had the 35% stickers from the MVA right on them.

When I commented that he must be having a slow day, and asked him why he pulled ME over, when, by my count, 40 or 50 other cars with plate covers had passed us while we were stopped, he told me to write my legislator if I didn't like the law.

When I told him I was going to invoke my right to free speech, and called him a a bad name (a power mad jerk), he thought my muffler was too loud...even though it's stock. He still wrote me a work order to get the decibels tested.

When I wrote to the police department about this total misuse of department time, money, resources, and equipment, I never got a response.

When I called a TV News station to report the same thing, I received a written apology from the police "officer", a letter from the State rescinding the work orders, and summary of the MD law as it was INTENDED to be enforced.

It's amazing how quickly an attitude can change when you make it public.

Last edited by vicj; 03-08-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

My first such experience actually happened before i was old enough to drive!

My brother and I had a small metal go-kart with a 5 hp engine that we drove in the parking lot of a nearby office building once everyone had left for the day, giving us a nice clear area. One day, this cop car comes tearing into the lot. Us kids were terrified and figured we were done for! My dad come running when he saw the cop car. So, the cop gets out, looks at the go-Kart and proceeds to spend the next 20 minutes chatting about the go-kart!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Motionblurrr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300 *sold*

Cops tend to look over at me since I'm young and in a sports car. Thankfully, they're on the import scene MUCH worse than European cars...

I had a Lexus IS300 and cops always thought my car looked shady (35% tint, lowered and always had a fresh layer of wax)

Some cops are car enthusiasts and have a couple of toys they take out on the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
TelfordZ4M
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

I put my car on the road for the first time in 6 months after winter on Friday. I was driving home at midnight when a cop passes me going the other way. He proceeds to turn around in traffic and pull me over. No front plate.

He then tells me how he's seen my car around a lot and had been meaning to pull me over but hadn't had a chance before. Complete BS. I had a couple drinks but was by no means impaired so I didn't want to ruffle his feathers but I'll dispute the ticket and atleast waste some of his time.

Of all the things that a cop could be doing on a Friday at midnight, he's looking for cars without front plates.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Black Z4MC

You know what's funny? As soon I saw this thread I told my self chances are it's a NYC board member. This weekend was the worst I can remember in the amount of Police and pulled overs I seen in a bit.

Bloomberg had every cop working this weekend for the city. The NYPD it's run as a corporation now in days and when the city needs money the corporation delivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Not quite so similar but...

I was driving (at the time) my wife's 545i on a Friday night coming home from work with two other people I'm carpooling with. It being a Friday coming back from Irvine I had been driving for nearly 2 hours and my concentration level wasn't up to par. Got pulled over right next to Irwindale Speedway. If you're not familiar with the area, the surface streets there has little to no traffic and no traffic lights. So if you're not paying attention you can get going VERY FAST.

Anyway, the cop asks for my license and registration. Well, I have my license but no registration and no proof of insurance, since it's my wife's primary vehicle and she keeps that stuff with her in her purse...The ONE TIME I drive the car without her I get pulled over. Stupid mistake. So the cop goes back to his cruiser, runs my license and regs, then comes back and ask me why I don't have that stuff, and I had to tell him that the car's registered to my wife, she's the primary driver, she's out of town on a conference and I decided to drive it that day...blah blah blah. Then he asks me if I know why I was pulled over. At that point I had no idea, I told him I wasn't paying much attention and couldn't tell him what I did wrong. Then he proceeds to tell me I was doing 75mph in a 35mph zone. That's when I went like this:

I said, really? I wasn't sure? He said that yeah, he had to literally stand on the gas pedal to chase me down. I told him again that this is my wife's car and I'm not used to driving it, and that it's just so damned quiet and smooth that I had no idea that I was really going that fast, and that there were no other traffic on the road at the time for me to gauge my speed relative to everyone else.

He then smiles at me and said that his wife's got a 5 series just like this and he totally understands, tells me to drive slowly and pay attention, handed me my license and sent me on my way. I look over at my carpool buddies and they were just as shocked as I was.

Sure made up for that other time when I got pulled over and written up for doing 40 mph in a 35 mph zone.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Had a cop pull me over in my E38 for 30 in a 40. Didn't have my updated insurance card, either. He came back from his car and said that I had a clean record and he wasn't going to ruin it. Then he started complimenting the car. Didn't even write me a warning.

I actually got nailed for speeding 2 years earlier, but I took court supervision to get the ticket wiped off my record. I guess it worked.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
I had a MD state trooper once follow me for three miles before pulling me over for, get this, having a COVER over my rear plate. This was just a plain, clear cover, to keep it clean. The plate was perfectly visible.

He said it was illegal to have ANY sort of plate cover in MD. When I asked him why it was then legal to SELL them in every auto parts store in the state, but illegal to use them, he didn't have an answer.
This EXACT thing happened to me when I lived in Eugene, OR and was pulled over by a city cop. The cop was nice and we chatted for a bit (he still ended up giving me a ticket) but he said that the covers were meant for "shows and not street use". Dumb as hell.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Dubbedown, 50% tint is illegal in NY?!?!?!

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_lm View Post
Dubbedown, 50% tint is illegal in NY?!?!?!
anything front in nj (and prob same for nyc) is illegal. can only tint rear and back windows.
      03-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Garage List
A month ago I was heading towards work when an unmarked police cruiser came up from behind me. I had been going about 6-7 MPH over in a 40 zone. Knocked it down to 45 and kept going figuring no point in slowing to the exact speed since no one really drives at the posted speed. He followed me for a few blocks and then I came to a left turn and moved into the turn lane. It was a red light so i came to a stop behind 2 cars. The officer pulled up next to me... no cars in front of him and rolled his window down. I was thankful he hadn't pulled up behind me and flipped his lights on. Anyway roll my window down and he asks me what car this is. So I tell him and he starts complementing how nice the car looks and starts asking me about it's engine specs. Then gives me a thumbs up! During this whole time the left turn green arrow had come on. The two cars in front of me had turned. The cars behind me and him just waited patiently, and I am sure they were surprised to see his thumbs up! (he had stuck his hand out the window so everyone behind us would have seen it) Made my day!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

You are awesome. Good Job. The best part (to me) is the "was I speeding/" and "not wanting to waste the court and officer's time." Brilliant answer.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #16
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
anything front in nj (and prob same for nyc) is illegal. can only tint rear and back windows.
Wow that sucks ...

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Great story. Just goes to show what can happen when you treat a cop with respect. Will it always turn out this way? No. A bad cop or one in a bad mood might still jack you around, despite your respect and courtesy. But you have a good chance that he won't when you act like this, and virtually ZERO chance of not getting hassled, if you call him/her "a bad name".

I've been pulled over twice since moving to Arizona in the 6 years I've lived here. Both times, I walked with a polite warning. The second time, I was doing 85 in a 55 zone, and was sure I was getting a ticket. But when the cop asked me if I knew how fast I was going, I acknowledged that I was going "between 80 and 85", and he just smiled big and said "very good!", clearly shocked (and impressed) that I leveled with him and didn't try to blow smoke up his ass and claim some 65 mph BS. With that, I received a warning and a polite request to "take it easy" and headed home.

Be nice to these guys, they're people just like you. And you might avoid a ticket in the process. Or not, no matter.
      03-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
You are awesome. Good Job. The best part (to me) is the "was I speeding/" and "not wanting to waste the court and officer's time." Brilliant answer.

Thanks, another thing that probably helped was that I grew up in the same town. This is a really small town... wikipedia says as of 2000 the population was 7197 people... so everyone knows each other or at least knows a mutual friend so I think the cops go easier on fellow "townies."
      03-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
jojodivo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

I had a cop pull me once last year only to tell me that the intersection I was just at was real bad for causing accidents. That took him about 2 seconds to say then he spend the next ten min. asking all kinds of questions about the car. How did it handle, good on gas etc. On a side note I have been very lucky with the police and the Z4. On 3 occasions I flew by a parked police car going 20+ over the speed limit and nothing. They did not follow or even flinch in my direction.
Appreciate 0