ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Input Request - Search for Power

Hi All...I know there have been other threads on this topic but I wanted to start an opinion and factual thread in one spot for my own benefit

Purpose: Motor work for a track orients street M54 powered BMW.

I'm slowly turning my non-M Z4 into a dual purpose track and street car. I've done suspension, brakes and now seats, to my liking. I'll be investing in track rubber shortly. Now my attention turns to engine work. Summary: I want more power. I have headers, intake and a tune. Roughly 280 at crank dyno'd. I'm planning on upgrading my water pump (metal impeller) and will also be looking to take car of the oil pump nut issue in one way or another (was thinking cotter pin).

I was considering a VF supercharger, but I've read and been told multiple ways that the heat generated will quickly ruin gains from forced induction on the M54 on a track day. I'm still leaning this way.

The other option is cams, which might be a little cheaper and easier on the wallet if not as much power. I'd like to get over the 300 crank mark in all honesty. I know an S54 motor needs to have the valves checked quite often. Would this be something of a concern with aftermarket cams?

Chime in your thoughts and experiences. I welcome all.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Heat soak is a concern with a blower. WMI does help in that regard.

Honestly the best bang for the buck IMO is a lower gear ratio
Swap in a 3.64, 3.73 or if you are really crazy a 3.91 from an X3.

The torque multiplication of a 3.73 over a stock 3.07 is 21% more.
I can attest to the seat of the pants increase. You in to the power band so much quicker. 60 mph has the engine revving at 3000rpm.

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

For me cams are only worth it on an all out race build.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Heat soak is a concern with a blower. WMI does help in that regard.

Honestly the best bang for the buck IMO is a lower gear ratio
Swap in a 3.64, 3.73 or if you are really crazy a 3.91 from an X3.

The torque multiplication of a 3.73 over a stock 3.07 is 21% more.
I can attest to the seat of the pants increase. You in to the power band so much quicker. 60 mph has the engine revving at 3000rpm.

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

For me cams are only worth it on an all out race build.
To further this wonderful input....which of those are limited slip?!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

None are LSD stock
Aftermarket for that
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
None are LSD stock
Aftermarket for that
If I swap diff I'd look to go limited slip.

I might stick with the supercharger solution and just further upgrade to WMI in the future to keep temps down.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

We need to meet up this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Hi All...I know there have been other threads on this topic but I wanted to start an opinion and factual thread in one spot for my own benefit

Purpose: Motor work for a track orients street M54 powered BMW.

I'm slowly turning my non-M Z4 into a dual purpose track and street car. I've done suspension, brakes and now seats, to my liking. I'll be investing in track rubber shortly. Now my attention turns to engine work. Summary: I want more power. I have headers, intake and a tune. Roughly 280 at crank dyno'd. I'm planning on upgrading my water pump (metal impeller) and will also be looking to take car of the oil pump nut issue in one way or another (was thinking cotter pin).

I was considering a VF supercharger, but I've read and been told multiple ways that the heat generated will quickly ruin gains from forced induction on the M54 on a track day. I'm still leaning this way.

The other option is cams, which might be a little cheaper and easier on the wallet if not as much power. I'd like to get over the 300 crank mark in all honesty. I know an S54 motor needs to have the valves checked quite often. Would this be something of a concern with aftermarket cams?

Chime in your thoughts and experiences. I welcome all.

With headers, intake, and a tune, you're probably closer to 250 bhp in all honesty. Your mods + aggressive cams will not get you to 300 bhp either (270 bhp is more realistic). A 300 bhp / 252 rwhp build looks like this. Dynos can be made to read however the customer desires. Fortunately, a VF kit will get you well over 300 bhp.

A supercharger can increase the magnitude of crankshaft vibrations, theoretically making oil pump failure more likely, although there isn't enough data out there to show that FI cars are more prone to failure. The cotter pin method isn't a reliable fix for the oil pump problem, as the oil pump's shaft can shear. The ATI super-damper and an upgraded oil pump are the only methods I know of that truly minimize the problem.

I highly recommend an LSD, even before supercharging. Be careful of going too aggressive on the final drive, as your car will require more shifts (potentially mid-corner). I've been thrilled with my Quaife LSD and 3.46 final drive. I had a 3.64 open diff before picking up the 3.46 Quaife, and it made the car a whole lot more fun too. However, it had traction problems coming out of corners with the supercharger. The Quaife made a night and day difference in corner exit speed.

As Dave pointed out, cams aren't really worth it on these motors any more. Previously, hotter cams could partially bridge the gap between the M54 and S54 at a fraction of the cost of moving to a Z4M or M3. These days, you can buy a whole ZHP motor for $1200, and a Z4M is <$20k. With aggressive Schrick cams, you will pick up 15-20 hp, but only at the very top of the rpm band. Cams essentially move the powerband, meaning cam choice is a compromise between power at low rpm and power at high rpm. Aggressive cams make less power than stock at low rpm.

If you do install a VF kit, WMI is great for cooling the intake charge, but I wouldn't recommend having a custom tune that requires WMI on the track. As the water/meth is used, the remainder sloshes around in the tank, and the pump doesn't provide reliable flow under high cornering loads. Therefore, I wouldn't use it for anything beyond supplemental cooling, and a lot of track guys don't recommend it at all.

Your best bang for the buck is going to be moving up to a Z4M, which is nearly track ready. I fully understand wanting a unique car; just be aware that it will be much more expensive in the long run if you try to mod your car into Z4M territory (let's not forget that a Z4M can be modded into supercar territory). You'll spend $6k on a supercharger after all is said and done, and it won't add to the resale value of the car. It will be a hassle to pull the supercharger off to sell for half of what you paid, and in the meantime you'll need to store all your stock parts. Consider it a sunk cost. I'm not saying don't do it, but take into account the true lifecycle cost.

The S54 is a better track motor. While they do fail from time to time and suffer from a handful of Vanos / rod bearing issues, the S54 is still pretty stout. The M54 is a great commuter motor that can be modified to impressive power levels. On the track, the oil pump issues make it a timebomb, and the fixes cost half as much as it would be to upgrade to the more powerful S54. Therefore, I don't recommend a supercharger for an M54 track car, but not because the supercharger itself will cause any problems. They're reliable on the street, but the M54 isn't track-ready.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We need to meet up this year.

This is a must. The summer got away from us I guess!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post

A supercharger can increase the magnitude of crankshaft vibrations, theoretically making oil pump failure more likely, although there isn't enough data out there to show that FI cars are more prone to failure. The cotter pin method isn't a reliable fix for the oil pump problem, as the oil pump's shaft can shear. The ATI super-damper and an upgraded oil pump are the only methods I know of that truly minimize the problem.
Can you advise who sells the oil pump and damper?

Quote:

I highly recommend an LSD...too aggressive on the final drive, ...car will require more shifts (potentially mid-corner). I've been thrilled with my Quaife LSD and 3.46 final drive. ...The Quaife made a night and day difference in corner exit speed.
Noted.

Quote:

These days, you can buy a whole ZHP motor for $1200, and a Z4M is <$20k.
If a motor swap (LS or other V8) could be done reliably for less than $6K Canadian I'd hop on that train. S54 is a more obvious choice and hence why I don't want to go that route (and that is the biggest "Why didn't you just get an MZ4 in the first place" engine as per your valid point).

It's not worth me changing and moving to an MZ4. I know that's the ultimate solution (which is always everyone's first suggestion) to sell and move to M. But for a decent M I'd have to take a hit on my current car and still spend an additional $15k. So not quite cost efficient. This is a thread for specifically not going that route (as odd as it may seem).

Quote:

WMI is great for cooling the intake charge, but I wouldn't recommend having a custom tune that requires WMI on the track. As the water/meth is used, the remainder sloshes around in the tank, and the pump doesn't provide reliable flow under high cornering loads. Therefore, I wouldn't use it for anything beyond supplemental cooling, and a lot of track guys don't recommend it at all.
Noted.

Fantastic input, thank you! That's forum gold!

So what about buying a crate M54 or looking at a high flow head and cam option? Looking at more of a built M54 with the oil and such taken care of?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Pump and Damper

Quote:
It's not worth me changing and moving to an MZ4. I know that's the ultimate solution (which is always everyone's first suggestion) to sell and move to M. But for a decent M I'd have to take a hit on my current car and still spend an additional $15k. So not quite cost efficient. This is a thread for specifically not going that route (as odd as it may seem).
I know it's annoying, and you probably expected at least one "you should sell your car and buy a Z4M" response. My point isn't that it's more expensive up front to build a track-ready Z4. Rather, it's more expensive over the life cycle of the car, which ends when you sell it. The super damper, oil pump upgrade, and supercharger may have a lower initial cost than moving to a Z4M (depending on the equity in your car), but they don't add anything to the resale value of the car... if you decide you want to change things up in a few years, you'll lose more money overall trying to sell a modded Z4 versus a near-stock Z4M.

IMHO, only modify a car if you want something unique, or if you want to keep it for a very long time. Keeping the car for many years is the only scenario where you'll spend less money over the entire lifecycle. In an extreme example: spending $20k modifying a $10k car and getting as much enjoyment out of it as you would a $60k car sounds great up front... but when you go to sell it, the $10k car is worth $7k-8k (despite your mods) and the $60k car might be worth $45k. Overall, the cost of driving a modified $10k car would be $22k in this example, and the cost of the $60k car would be $15k.

Some people, like me, love the M54. I've had my non-M for 12 years, so the $15k-20k in mods (sunk costs) really only average out to about $1500/year. Still, I've spent that much on a car that's now only worth $8k .

Quote:
So what about buying a crate M54 or looking at a high flow head and cam option? Looking at more of a built M54 with the oil and such taken care of?
I plan to build my motor (if I can avoid another 2 year stint overseas). It's VERY expensive ($10k-20k) to have it done at a shop. If you like projects, are patient and careful, and have an expert to lean on, it's a good option. Otherwise, it's too expensive.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I highly recommend an LSD...too aggressive on the final drive, ...car will require more shifts (potentially mid-corner). I've been thrilled with my Quaife LSD and 3.46 final drive. ...The Quaife made a night and day difference in corner exit speed.
Noted.

Quote:

These days, you can buy a whole ZHP motor for $1200, and a Z4M is <$20k.
If a motor swap (LS or other V8) could be done reliably for less than $6K Canadian I'd hop on that train. S54 is a more obvious choice and hence why I don't want to go that route (and that is the biggest "Why didn't you just get an MZ4 in the first place" engine as per your valid point).

Quote:

WMI is great for cooling the intake charge, but I wouldn't recommend having a custom tune that requires WMI on the track. As the water/meth is used, the remainder sloshes around in the tank, and the pump doesn't provide reliable flow under high cornering loads. Therefore, I wouldn't use it for anything beyond supplemental cooling, and a lot of track guys don't recommend it at all.
Noted.

Fantastic input, thank you! That's forum gold!

Could always buy the diff I have for sale cheap send it out to be upgraded and maintain drivability till you can slap it on ...win win
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      01-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:

If you're comfortable with doing a lot of work yourself, LS-swapping an E86 chassis could be done in the $5-$8k CAD range, so long as you were starting with a pulled engine rather than a crate engine.

Good parts: aluminum-block / head LS engines are lighter than the S54; they're also shorter than the S54, so you can move the weight of the engine towards the center of the chassis. LS engines are trivial to get into 400WHP territory and are easily adapted to the MZ4's 6-speed. Don't know about the transmissions that came in other E85/6 trim. The engine bay is wide enough to accommodate exhaust headers for the V8, but you'll need to cross the driver's side over to a 2-1 collector on the passenger side since there's no way to get exhaust tubing out of the engine bay on the driver's side of the car, without dropping it below the frame, which you really don't want to do.

Bad parts: you'll have to use the LS ECU (or maybe, maybe Megasquirt) to stay in that budget, and will lose a lot of the electronic goodies of the BMW. You'll have to use aftermarket gauges and re-wire everything from battery to ignition switch to engine loom, and do it yourself. It'll be reliable, powerful, etc. but a lot of the cost will really be in day-to-day use. Depending on which province you're in, you may or may not be able to continue to drive the car on the street after the swap. Finally, it will sound like an American V8, which frankly is the reason I'm building the S54 rather than doing an LS swap on my car - I couldn't square the experience of the Z4M with the sound of an American V8. And flat-plane setups for LS / Coyote are ludicrous dollars, even compared to the cost of building a 370+ WHP naturally-aspirated S54, which is saying something.
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      01-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Unfortunately I am unable to do the engine work myself so there is a high cost to me doing a swap of any sort really, although maybe one day.

I appreciate everyone's comments and it looks as though my first concern should really be making sure that the M54B30 will be up to track duty first before I consider upping power beyond what I've got already.

So my plan thus far:

I've ordered a used M54B30 oil pump off ebay for <$75 shipped. I'll be taking it apart and manufacturing a new solution to the shaft and sprocket. I will keep you updated on that progress.

When I install the new oil pump into the car I will add an Achilles Oil baffle as well (to help with large G oil movement) and proceed to do the suggest damper and will refresh the cooling system with a high performance water pump.

This will tackle a considerable size of my budget for a super charger, so I'll instead put money into better tires and potentially track rims instead of just the stock 18" sports.

Thoughts?

Last edited by 3GFX; 01-12-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I am unable to do the engine work myself so there is a high cost to me doing a swap of any sort really, although maybe one day.

I appreciate everyone's comments and it looks as though my first concern should really be making sure that the M54B30 will be up to track duty first before I consider upping power beyond what I've got already.

So my plan thus far:

I've ordered a used M54B30 oil pump off ebay for <$75 shipped. I'll be taking it apart and manufacturing a new solution to the shaft and sprocket. I will keep you updated on that progress.

When I install the new oil pump into the car I will add an Achilles Oil baffle as well (to help with large G oil movement) and proceed to do the suggest damper and will refresh the cooling system with a high performance water pump.

This will tackle a considerable size of my budget for a super charger, so I'll instead put money into better tires and potentially track rims instead of just the stock 18" sports.

Thoughts?
First thought: call Achilles, talk to Minos, tell him what your goals and thoughts are, and get his feedback. He's incredibly knowledgeable and very happy to share what he's learned about racing (and breaking) BMWs. He's been very, very, very helpful to me with my build.
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      01-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfwalters View Post
First thought: call Achilles, talk to Minos, tell him what your goals and thoughts are, and get his feedback. He's incredibly knowledgeable and very happy to share what he's learned about racing (and breaking) BMWs. He's been very, very, very helpful to me with my build.
Would he appreciate me not buying his product and making my own though?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #16
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Would he appreciate me not buying his product and making my own though?
You said you're planning to buy his pan baffle, right? I'm suggesting that you call him before you buy anything (else) and talk through your goals and how you're thinking about getting there. Despite the fact that I bought my Schrick cams elsewhere, I bought valves / springs / retainers from Achilles, and Minos was extremely helpful when I had questions about the cams that the company who actually sold them to me had no idea about. I'm not saying his answer isn't going to be "you're insane to try to solve this yourself, my oil pump kit is literally track-proven and you're talking about saving $50 when putting $4k+ into a track engine build" - that would be my answer - but at least in my experience, he'll be happy to talk through what you're trying to accomplish, and will provide some useful hints / tips that you'd have to research or learn the hard way otherwise.

YMMV, of course.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You said you're planning to buy his pan baffle, right? I'm suggesting that you call him before you buy anything (else) and talk through your goals and how you're thinking about getting there. Despite the fact that I bought my Schrick cams elsewhere, I bought valves / springs / retainers from Achilles, and Minos was extremely helpful when I had questions about the cams that the company who actually sold them to me had no idea about. I'm not saying his answer isn't going to be "you're insane to try to solve this yourself, my oil pump kit is literally track-proven and you're talking about saving $50 when putting $4k+ into a track engine build" - that would be my answer - but at least in my experience, he'll be happy to talk through what you're trying to accomplish, and will provide some useful hints / tips that you'd have to research or learn the hard way otherwise.

YMMV, of course.
I'll reach out to him and appreciate the contact name . The thing about the oil pump is we make shafts and sprockets where I work (its our specialty). We're the kind of shop that would make that solution. I do believe there might be a more cost effective and maybe better option once I dive into the parts. If anything for my own access in this scenario.

Everyone's input has been fantastic on this thread , thank you! Keep it coming!!! M54 FTW!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #18
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Further conversation. The damper, would this be necessary with a built oil pump? Is the stock M54 crank not fairly durable?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Further conversation. The damper, would this be necessary with a built oil pump? Is the stock M54 crank not fairly durable?
No input? Who's running an aftermarket damper?

Edit (01/19/2018):

Found some damper info
http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...mper_dinan.htm

Also

Last edited by 3GFX; 01-19-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
First thought: call Achilles, talk to Minos
Minos is a G

A quick conversation on the phone, very helpful and you can tell he has a lot of experience. We discussed the oil pump, and he explained his suggestion and how he manufactures his solution. Ideally i'll create something similar. I have access to be able to make the sprocket and shaft from scratch, so until I have the used one I ordered in hand I can only speculate what to do.

As for the damper, I'm on the cusp of needing it or not. Intending to have the car as dual purpose (track/road) I won't really be revving the balls off of it like a full track car. But I don't want to live in fear of pushing the car. So I believe the damper will be on my list of purchases.

So for now my intended spring updates:
- Performance Water pump
- Oil Pump
- Damper
- Oil Baffle
- Track wheel/tires

Most importantly, get faster by learning to drive better

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 12:26 AM   #21
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I think you're on the right track. The only other things you might consider adding are oil pressure and oil temperature gauges. Radar-mirror.com has options to cleanly incorporate the gauges into the rear view mirror, and you can have a kill switch installed if you don't want the data displaying during normal driving. As far as senders go, an oil distribution block is a pain to install but your best option for both temperature and pressure. Temperature can be pulled from the drain plug as well. The P3Cars vent gauge is a good option too, but it can only display one reading at a time.

Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      01-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #22
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Further to Josh’s gauge suggestions.
This is what I have on my M54 for oil pressure and temp. Really nice piece

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac...m54-p1776.aspx
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50