ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-26-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

RPI exhaust

Hey guys, even tho I'm new member I tend to read this forum for past 2 years, and now, finally, I'm looking to buy a BMW Z4M coupe in April

Even tho it might be weird I'm looking to do 2 upgrades right away, first being Tekarbon headlights and second a nice exhaust. I know many of you have the RPI crazy thing and from videos I'm liking it a lot, but I'm a lil bit concerned...

Is it possible to drive with the RPI w/o being a total jerk? I mean cruising around the city at 2000 rpm ...

I would also like to know how this compares to OEM exhaust of some cars like Lamborghini Gallardo, F430, Porsche GT or Bentley Continental Supersports ... drove all of these so I know how good/bad they are so if anyone has experience with any of those + Z4M on RPI please let me know

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
I do believe that if you are looking for a sporty sound w/o increasing the noise lvls too much, try something like Supersprint, this is what I went for (still waiting on delivery though). RPI might be a bit too noisy for Vienna.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Beedub
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500

my rpi at my track db test measured 98 at the static test at 4700rpm...... its VERY VERY loud....... my supercharger install has added alittle more noise to the setup, but its CRAZY loud, my z4m isnt an everyday vehicle and no way could i live with it everyday! no way!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

It wont be my everyday car, but I want to be able to drive it also w/o everyone thinking that I'm a cock I like loud exhaust, actually I love them, but I think I'll go with the Supersprint exhaust as I will be inside city 90% of the time. All I need are just the rear exhaust, not the center pipe right? Should I pick "Racing" OO 70 or OO 80?

Last question: Where would you position the Eisenmann exhaust? Is it more like the RPI or SS?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

my rpi matured into a mellow sporty sound then at around 3k it totally rips.....i love it
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
It wont be my everyday car, but I want to be able to drive it also w/o everyone thinking that I'm a cock I like loud exhaust, actually I love them, but I think I'll go with the Supersprint exhaust as I will be inside city 90% of the time. All I need are just the rear exhaust, not the center pipe right? Should I pick "Racing" OO 70 or OO 80?

Last question: Where would you position the Eisenmann exhaust? Is it more like the RPI or SS?

Cheers!
I have heard some Eisenmanns and to me it falls somewhere between RPI and Supersprint. I am inclined to think that it leans more towards SS in terms of noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I'm about to get rpi, myself. I think that with all loud vehicles, people understand the difference between a loud car at low revs, and a cock-mongering baboon going WOT through the city. Check out some videos of VRalexander on youtube. I heard his straight-piped CGT last year in CA, and when it idled by it was loud as hell, but no one really got offended until he really ripped it.

Tschüß
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

RE Diablos are awesome - throaty, sounds like a sports car now.
      01-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Well, sorry but you WILL appear like a cock with the RPI's in town.

I get lots of evil stares and i've had several friends complain about it but i still love it when i take it out of town and into the mountains for a nice drive.

At first even at 2000 RPM they were still VERY loud but after a couple of thousand miles on them they've quieted down and are OK for cruising around town at that speed. Venture above 2000 though and it's like opening the gateway to the underworld with a loud, raw bark not unlike a race car. You'll scare little old ladies and you'll make babies cry.
      01-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

not to mention tripping off car alarms
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

have to concur with the opinions on rpi's so far, they are massively obnoxious at pretty much anything above idle rpm and u will attract attention, whether of the good kind or the bad. think very carefully about what u'd like from ur choice of exhausts, as the rpi's are the most raw and unbridled motorsport-esque muffler choice on the market. by tt i mean, either prepare to go seriously deaf (the drone is loud and omnipresent anywhere above 2500rpm) or invest in a pure racing-inspired experience. u see how cars like the pagani zonda r and mclaren f1 require headsets in-cabin? i would venture to say the m coupe would probably need something like tt after u put rpi's on.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I wouldn't put RPIs on anything that is used outside the track. They're obnoxious, and your neighbors will hate you. Why put an exhaust on your car that's insanely loud on the outside, and drones so badly on the inside you'll want to kill yourself after a long drive? It seems like they trade sound quality for volume, so much so that owners have to put sound deadening material in their cars just to live with them. Personally, I think they sound like rice. However, if any exhaust adds horsepower, the RPI probably does.

Volume inside the cabin - mind-numbingly loud.

Volume outside the cabin - rude. It says, "f&%$ your ear drums, f$%# your peace and quiet, f&%$ noise pollution, and f&%$ you, I'm a race car and here I come... and I could be a Honda!" Cops will get to know your car very quickly.

Sound quality - terrible IMHO; nothing "exotic" about it. It seems like the louder the exhaust is, the worse the sound quality. If the RPI sounded like the Remus (only louder), then I would be more interested; it doesn't.

Power - probably adds a few horsepower. However, this is only a guess. RPI seem to take the approach of function over form- in this case, sacrificing sound quality and leaving volumes at borderline illegal levels to achieve a few hp gain over stock. So, if I were a betting man I'd say they did everything they could do to a muffler to increase the power. This is great on the track where a few horsepower translates to a better time, or even in a car that's driven in unpopulated areas on the weekends. For a daily driver with an owner that has neighbors, the volume doesn't make up for obnoxiousness. You WILL be thought of as a cock, no doubt about it.

I had a neighbor with a Z06 and extremely loud exhaust. I didn't know the guy for the first few months I lived there, but I hated him. I could hear the car coming from blocks away. With my crazy work schedule I had to sleep when I could (even if it was for 30 minutes during the work day). That car ALWAYS woke me up, whether it was coming or going. One day someone bashed it with a bat, and I can't say I was the least bit upset. Then, I met the guy and it turned out he was very nice. Even though he was a great guy, people hated him to the point of vandalizing his car, simply because of his dickheaded exhaust.

If you don't drive your car every day, perhaps your neighbors can tolerate it every once in a while on the weekends. You will be hated if you put those cans on a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:58 AM   #13
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm not a big fan of drone so I'm definitely staying away from RPI. I'm thinking about Eisenmann Racing (4x 83mm) or SuperSprint Powerloop ... I hope I will be able to cruise with those in town w/o being a dick and yet get some nice loud sound when I take it for a spin into the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

what is/are TTs?

Also, to be honest I'm a 19y/o with an M coupe.. at college, so I'm probably universally hated as it is. Turns out though that I don't give a flying one. People that have met me know that I'm not a dick, and everyone else is welcome to hate me until they defecate from pure rage. The only issue i have will be my with neighbors. I'm running through forums for all types of cars and bikes, and theres actually some interesting/wacky solutions for driving in and out of the garage and down the block without assassinating them via the ear drums.

Last edited by Eccentric; 01-31-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep

well im mostly deaf from Iraq so i could give a %^&* less about noise drine and whatever else is bothering people these days.......when the CSL's get put on it will only be louder. lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #16
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

Been a while, but finally I'm checking a 2008 MC (Premium Selection) next weekend (and very very likely taking it) straight from BMW. Now the only question is:

Eisenmann Racing (4x 83mm) or SuperSprint Powerloop?
Appreciate 0