ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
jbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Question about inspection II and CPO

My car is currently under the factory free maintenance but that will expire this summer. I have inspection II due in 8,000 miles but I have 45,000 miles on the car now so I will be over the 50,000 mile mark when it hits.

My car is a CPO car with coverage till 2013. Do I have to get inspection II done at the dealer because of the CPO or can I take it to the local independent BMW shop here. I do not know if the CPO requires that you get maintenance done at the dealer or if BMW would deny coverage on an item with CPO if I had done maintenance or inspection II somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Does CPO coverage include factory maintenance or is it only for warranty items?

Sure, you can take it to a local shop. However you will have to pay for it obviously. An independent shop should charge around $700 for inspection II. If CPO covers factory maintenance then your dealer will perform the service for free (or at least free after the $50 deductible).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^i'm also under cpo warranty but opted to pay significantly less (50%) to have a local independent accomplish inspection I as opposed to taking it to the dealership. To me, the assurance that the valve clearances check was being done under the hands of someone who works on S54's for a living was most important. ultimately, i do not see why the cpo warranty would be invalidated because an inspection I (or II) was completely outside of the authorized service centers. in the first instance, cpo does not cover maintenance and u'd only be adding a significant princely sum to the coffers of the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Does CPO coverage include factory maintenance or is it only for warranty items?

Sure, you can take it to a local shop. However you will have to pay for it obviously. An independent shop should charge around $700 for inspection II. If CPO covers factory maintenance then your dealer will perform the service for free (or at least free after the $50 deductible).
Only for warranty items. There is an additional extended maintenance plan that inspection services would fall under.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
Only for warranty items. There is an additional extended maintenance plan that inspection services would fall under.

OK well there is your answer OP. Prob best to take it to local shop as they will do it cheaper and prob better than the dealer would. As long as its done correctly there should be no warranty implications.
Appreciate 0