ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Intake baffle removal?

Hi guys...

I’ve seen two mentions of an intake baffle that resricts airflow, and therefore horsepower. These were both by the same guy making comments on M Coupes for sale on Bring a Trailer. Claimed that it was an easy mod, and improved horsepower.

Anyone here heard of such a thing?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Do you have a link to where it's mentioned? The only 2 items after the air filter is the carbon filter on the top side of the air filter box and the air flow straightener in front of the MAF. Neither item is that restrictive
      03-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
GyroF-16
Private
Rep

Here’s the link:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-bmw-m-coupe/

The part that I’m referring to was posted in the comments on Feb 19th at 6:17 pm

Excerpt:
“One note the description omits is that this final version of the S54 engine as BMW built only into the E86 MC and MR, has the Siemens engine management system that is superior to the old Bosch system in many ways. This is actually about a 350+ hp engine in factory trim except that BMW put a restrictor baffle in the intake airbox to hold back intake airflow. Removing that immediately uncorks the engine up to what the Siemens engine management and the sweetly done dual exhaust is capable of. There’s another free 10+hp in other little tweaks where BMW built in dumb restrictions that keep the power down to the old Bosch managed S54 engines put out.”

I don’t know who the guy is, but he makes it sound interesting.
I certainly don’t see anything in the “box” prior to the air filter, so I’m not sure what he’s referring to, but I’m certainly interested in whether it makes sense to anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
Here’s the link:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-bmw-m-coupe/

The part that I’m referring to was posted in the comments on Feb 19th at 6:17 pm

Excerpt:
“One note the description omits is that this final version of the S54 engine as BMW built only into the E86 MC and MR, has the Siemens engine management system that is superior to the old Bosch system in many ways. This is actually about a 350+ hp engine in factory trim except that BMW put a restrictor baffle in the intake airbox to hold back intake airflow. Removing that immediately uncorks the engine up to what the Siemens engine management and the sweetly done dual exhaust is capable of. There’s another free 10+hp in other little tweaks where BMW built in dumb restrictions that keep the power down to the old Bosch managed S54 engines put out.”

I don’t know who the guy is, but he makes it sound interesting.
I certainly don’t see anything in the “box” prior to the air filter, so I’m not sure what he’s referring to, but I’m certainly interested in whether it makes sense to anyone else.
There is no intake baffle in the airbox. There is a charcoal filter in the lower half of the airbox that is actually used as part of the emissions system, and below that there is a mesh screen that has to do with laminar air flow into the intake. Removing either of those will not get you +10 HP, and will probably mean a decrease.

The only other thing I can think of that the poster could be referencing is found behind the front left (driver) grill. Rather than having a straight air path or ram air path, BMW actually installed a plastic cup they call a deflector. This deflector "cup" pulls air into the intake likely from a low pressure area behind the grill. The air opening is facing up. Some aftermarket solutions like the RPI scoop and the Eventuri intake scoop remove this deflector "cup" and replace it with a scoop that pushes more air into the intake at speeds above 45 MPH. Some think the deflector was used to prevent water intrusion into the intake, or to pull from a low pressure zone.

Intake Air Deflector
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/13717519243/

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      03-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
350+ hp +10 on top of that from a stock S54 without a CSL intake? That's some pretty funny stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Guy on Bring a Trailer is a hoser.
I took the carbon filter out just 'cause. Some say it lets a little more growl out of the intake.
Won't get you any horsepower.
Don't mess with the honeycomb pieces in the intake hose. Those are critical to the proper operation of the MAF.
      03-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
There is no intake baffle in the airbox. There is a charcoal filter in the lower half of the airbox that is actually used as part of the emissions system, and below that there is a mesh screen that has to do with laminar air flow into the intake. Removing either of those will not get you +10 HP, and will probably mean a decrease.

The only other thing I can think of that the poster could be referencing is found behind the front left (driver) grill. Rather than having a straight air path or ram air path, BMW actually installed a plastic cup they call a deflector. This deflector "cup" pulls air into the intake likely from a low pressure area behind the grill. The air opening is facing up. Some aftermarket solutions like the RPI scoop and the Eventuri intake scoop remove this deflector "cup" and replace it with a scoop that pushes more air into the intake at speeds above 45 MPH. Some think the deflector was used to prevent water intrusion into the intake, or to pull from a low pressure zone.

Intake Air Deflector
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/13717519243/

Salty
^WHS, this is probably what the poster on BAT was referring to. FWIW, I removed mine after I bought my eventuri intake secondhand (which didn't have the scoop) and didn't notice a change

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I originally said the bottom of the airbox, but it is actually in the top of the airbox. You can find photos of what it all looks like in this PDF guide I put together for installing the Gruppe M intake.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=gruppe

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
GyroF-16
Private
Rep

Thanks to all who replied!

It sounded a little too good to be true... especially when I’d seen no sign of a “baffle” myself when changing the air filter.

I appreciate all the info.

Gyro
Appreciate 0