ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Indoor Karting Endurance Racing!

I was apart of a Gas-Powered Karting Endurance event today in Cincinnati. It was a hour race with 10 teams, each team with 3 people (and required to do 2 pit changes).

It was a SCCA Endurance Race that a fellow SCCA member ran (invite only, all SCCA autocrossers that participated). It involved a LeMans start, and practice before the event. Needless to say, everything went off without a hitch.

Here's my helmet cam. Sorry about the angle...it sucks. It must of been bumped when I put it on or something.

Practice can happen anywhere . Hitting Apexes are key, I paid the price for sure missing a couple.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

looks like a really tight track! wish the angle was a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I did a 4 hour endurance race with some co-workers once, split between 6 drivers. It was crazy. Each one of us did 2x 20 minute stints and by the end of the race, my arms were like jello and my back, my @ss, and my ribs were all sore, with bruises on my back that lasted for over a week.

It was a no-holds barred, anyone can enter type event with about 50 team entries so there was traffic everywhere, and they were gasoline powered karts on an outdoor course which is especially brutal. But we came in 12th out of 50 which isn't too bad for a first time team.

While the experience was a lot of fun, I'm not sure if I want to deal with the amount of recovery after again...
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsbmw View Post
looks like a really tight track! wish the angle was a bit better.
Although it was tight, there is alot of room to pass when a bad line presents itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I did a 4 hour endurance race with some co-workers once, split between 6 drivers. It was crazy. Each one of us did 2x 20 minute stints and by the end of the race, my arms were like jello and my back, my @ss, and my ribs were all sore, with bruises on my back that lasted for over a week.

It was a no-holds barred, anyone can enter type event with about 50 team entries so there was traffic everywhere, and they were gasoline powered karts on an outdoor course which is especially brutal. But we came in 12th out of 50 which isn't too bad for a first time team.

While the experience was a lot of fun, I'm not sure if I want to deal with the amount of recovery after again...
My body hurts today for sure. This place is only limited to 10 teams as of now. They need to upgrade the ventilation and/or get new cats in order to run more karts. These are gas-powered as well, on the turn 1/2, they reach 40 mph.

We were mid-pack until we caught traffic on a pit change (only 1 team can change drivers at a time) We got caught in pit and went a lap behind...finishing 6th out of 10th.
Appreciate 0