ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Which headers? (DKF Section 1 needs a friend)

I'm very excited about the DKF group buy, and I'd really like to use it (with the 300 cell cats and relocated sensors) to facilitate new headers in my coupe. I'm not in a hurry, so maybe I can wait for a bargain to pop up, but what is the current thought on these? I've read a lot of threads, but a lot of the predated the current selection, and some manufacturers seem to have modified their offerings. So please, tell me what you think!

1) CSL/Euro headers - Prob just the euro ones, and this seems like my default option as they are relatively cheap and guaranteed fit, etc. CSL doesn't seem worth it just for the weight, or are they? Slightly better flow?

2) Supersprint - Seem overpriced (or at least more than I want to spend) and unclear whether I could use an ESS tune with these? (I'd like one of those.) Really that much better to justify $2500+? If so, which ones? Is stepped really better? I've heard most of the gains or on the top end?

3) Fabspeed - Several members here seem to have picked these up lately but I'm not seeing a lot of feedback. Apparently require a bit of modification to fit? Any good? Especially if not using for the extra O2 and EGT bungs?

4) Schnell - Similar price to Fabspeed and ceramic coated, but found some negative comments? Anyone like them?

5) AA - See these in a lot of sigs here, but again, how do they compare? Seem a bit pricier than the last two but not as much as the SS.

6) JVT - Are these even around anymore?

7) Other eBay headers - Again, where are these $200 headers everyone used to talk about? In any case, not likely to spring for some unknown brand without some reviews.

8) Others???
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjw View Post
1) CSL/Euro headers - Prob just the euro ones, and this seems like my default option as they are relatively cheap and guaranteed fit, etc. CSL doesn't seem worth it just for the weight, or are they? Slightly better flow?
The euro headers for the Z4M are the CSL headers. CSL/euro is interchangeable if you mean Z4M. The only time there's a difference is if you're buying M3 euro headers.

Quote:
2) Supersprint - Seem overpriced (or at least more than I want to spend) and unclear whether I could use an ESS tune with these? (I'd like one of those.) Really that much better to justify $2500+? If so, which ones? Is stepped really better? I've heard most of the gains or on the top end?
For me it's between these two.

Either you get the Euro to get the lightest headers (flow formed, so they're really thin). Or you get the supersprint as those seem to produce the highest HP gains.

A few people on here have had great success with the ebay headers (sometimes having to do some minor modifications so the flanges line up correctly), so really it's up to you and how much you want to spend. Mfan is running JVT headers I think.
      04-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
As far as bang for buck and you can wait on the longer shipping times, the Euro is the way to go. Got mine from under $700 shipped on here from a forum member.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Jroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Status Gruppe Tuning
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

I have fabspeed's...they fit fine, they just hit the under brace, so you can dent them a bit to get them off or bend the brace
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I have the Fabspeed and will be installing them when I do the test fit on the DKF section 1 in the next couple of weeks.
They were supposed to have tweaked the fitment a bit;
I'll give some fitment feedback soon.

There are two OE headers.
The CSLs (z4 OE) are still harder to find and more expensive than the M3 OE headers (best bang for $).
member Donavan (sp?) is the best source for these.

IMO Supersprint are just too expensive.
Yes, ...maybe the best performance, but not all that much better for the price.

Schnell - coated yes, but not the high end jethot type coating.
these are not stainless steel.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 04-09-2013 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I was about to post this same question after looking around quite a bit. Fitment and O2/EGT relocation are my biggest concerns. It sounds like with the DKF section 1 the O2s/EGT won't be an issue regardless of what headers we go with so fitment is it. I'll wait for Ian's review of his Fabspeed install.
      04-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

^ yeah... Bungs was originally one of the reasons I went with Fabspeed.
....not an issue anymore

JMO, but I was (am) totally against chopping up the OE section 1 to add bungs

I should have the DKF test pieces early next week.
I'll test the Fabspeeds at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Awesome! Thanks!
      04-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
The euro headers for the Z4M are the CSL headers. CSL/euro is interchangeable if you mean Z4M. The only time there's a difference is if you're buying M3 euro headers.
Can anyone confirm whether there is a performance difference between the CSL (euro Z4M) headers and the non-CSL M3 euro headers other than the lighter weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroc View Post
Status Gruppe Tuning
More details...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
JMO, but I was (am) totally against chopping up the OE section 1 to add bungs

I should have the DKF test pieces early next week.
I'll test the Fabspeeds at the same time.
Awesome, I'll be looking out for your comments

Agree about hacking up the OEM section 1, especially because I may revert to stock when (and if) I sell the car.

Quote:
I have the Fabspeed and will be installing them when I do the test fit on the DKF section 1 in the next couple of weeks.
They were supposed to have tweaked the fitment a bit;
I'll give some fitment feedback soon.

There are two OE headers.
The CSLs (z4 OE) are still harder to find and more expensive than the M3 OE headers (best bang for $).
member Donavan (sp?) is the best source for these.
Same questions about the CSL vs non-CSL. Seems like grabbing the non-CSL euro headers from Donovan is my best bet, unless the CSL or Fabspeed headers have a distinct performance advantage.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

If you want the best fit and can find a good deal then go CSL/Euro. Otherwise, buying these new puts you into Supersprint price territory.

If you got money to burn go Supersprint. They seem to have slightly better performance.

If you want low cost then go Fabspeed. I personally went Fabspeed with JetHot coating just because I didn't want to deal with a used set of CSL headers and I didn't want to spend a lot. No fitment issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
If you want low cost then go Fabspeed. I personally went Fabspeed with JetHot coating just because I didn't want to deal with a used set of CSL headers and I didn't want to spend a lot. No fitment issues.
good to know
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
If you want the best fit and can find a good deal then go CSL/Euro. Otherwise, buying these new puts you into Supersprint price territory.

If you got money to burn go Supersprint. They seem to have slightly better performance.

Did you buy those from VAC, and are they the same as this? http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...--z3m--z4m.htm

Anywhere cheaper? And how much for the JetHot coating?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

Quote:
good to know
mine had the issue mentioned above, and they are a recent built set...it may not be everyone, but it isn't 100% true that there are no issues at all

Quote:
Did you buy those from VAC, and are they the same as this? http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...--z3m--z4m.htm

Anywhere cheaper? And how much for the JetHot coating?
yes, those are the fabspeed headers. They are the same price no matter where you get them, but you could possibly save on shipping from a dealer on the west coast some where...iirc the coating is something like $300
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I bought them from VAC. The JetHot was around $300. They had it as an add-on option when I purchased.

So, I lied a little about "No fitment issues"... I did make a minor mod to a transmission flange, see here:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=35

However, that modification was not required to get them to fit. They fit fine, but they were just barely touching the transmission and I didn't want there to be any possible NVH.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Have you since been able to take care of the CEL light with a tune, marinb?
      04-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Jroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

The M3forums guys love the SGT headers, great fitment/customer service and one of the better prices out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroc View Post
The M3forums guys love the SGT headers, great fitment/customer service and one of the better prices out there.
That's two comments about the Status Gruppe headers (http://www.statusgruppe.com/products...t-less-headers) Anyone here try these on a Z4M? They specifically identify the set as compatible with our cars on their website, but would be curious to hear from someone who's actually installed on an E85/86...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Have you since been able to take care of the CEL light with a tune, marinb?
So the first thing I did was do the relocate (only O2, left EGT in the headers). That completely solved the CEL and all readiness sensors were passing.

I later reverted the relocate and installed (another) stock section 1, and then had Evolve tune for catless. The Evolve tune can easily turn off the CEL, but I have yet to satisfy all readiness sensors (2 are still failing). Still working with Evolve on this.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep

Cool, thanks for the info.
      04-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
I got the AA, fitment was perfect plus they look REALLY well-made. The sound they produce tho i'm sure similar to all other headers available is intoxicating. Great mod choice. Just be wary of passing emissions.
      04-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I'm about to install my Supersprint V1 stepped. I'd go Supersprint or Active if you can find them used. Go Euro if you're on a budget.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0