ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

M track mode on ZCP

Hey fellas,

Does anybody know if we can retrofit the M track mode function that ZCP M3's have on our zed M's?

DSC is so intrusive doing any sort of spirited driving, and it cuts throttle for so long as well. I don't want to drive traction off entirely on the track. I have, but some added comfort from the M track mode would be nice.

I came from a 2006 ZCP M3 which had it and it let you get a little loose before activating. It was just amazing. I always turned it on in the rain because DSC would activate way too much in the wet just putzing around town.

My second question is, should I just learn to track 10/10ths with traction off entirely?
      04-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

To your last question yes, but it can help to know where it is coming on when newer to that car because it will save your butt. This is the first car that I have had with this kind of technology and it will keep the car from rotating when learning. Eventually, you need to take it off to be faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
So why not switch to dtc mode? Allows some slip but not as intrusive as full dsc...
      04-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
So why not switch to dtc mode? Allows some slip but not as intrusive as full dsc...
lolwut. ya lost me there.
      04-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF
No DTC on the Ms.

Either full on or full off.

I ran my first event with DSC off. Just be careful with the throttle and you'll be more comfortable with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
Does anybody know if we can retrofit the M track mode function that ZCP M3's have on our zed M's?
Since it was never a function of our cars, probably not.

But it would be extremely cool to find someone that could do a custom DSC tune to allow it more slip. I've never found anyone offering such services though.

In the end I think your best bet is one of these. Set it to 5% when dry and you basically get M mode traction, without the real stability control though. But if it's predictable enough it shouldn't matter.

I think you need a custom tune to ignore the missfires. Supposedly one of the companies out of the UK can do it, but I don't remember which one.

If I decide to supercharge, definitely picking one of those up. You can do launch mode and flat shifting in addition to traction control. I really hope someone installs one in the next year or so so we know what steps to follow to get it working.

Last edited by beta; 04-18-2013 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0