ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Swapped Battery - Now AC doesn't work.

The OEM battery in my 3.0si finally died today so I swapped in a new one. Afterwards almost everything works (other than needing to reset date/time), but the climate controls are pretty much non-functional. Fan can be switched on an ultra-low setting, but that's it. No A/C, no rear window defogger. The car runs fine and all the other electrical systems seem to work normally other than this one problem. I checked the obvious fuses and didn't find anything blown.

Is this the "transport mode" I've heard about? More to the point, how do I fix it? I'm many years and miles out of warrantee and would REALLY like to avoid a trip to the dealer.

Last edited by vachss; 11-24-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Doing some more searching it sure looks like this is "BMW transit mode" (folks on other forums had identical symptoms after bad battery replacement).

Unfortunately the solution (other than the dealer) appears to be hooking up a diagnostic computer to the car and resetting the programming. This can be done at home, but I know nothing about the INPA program and would probably have a better chance of screwing more up than fixing my problem.

So now I'll ask a big favor: Anybody in the LA area with a working copy of INPA willing to give me a hand?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Same thing happened to me when my battery died. A friend of mine was able to hook up his computer to my car and disable the Transit Mode. Unfortunately, I no longer live in California and I'm now in Florida.

I'm sure you'll be able to find someone in Cali, though. Good luck.
Appreciate 0