ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
First time autocross...

and WOW, do I suck at it!

I did my first auto-x session which was organized by NASA / MSNE and took place in the parking lot of Giant Stadium. After speaking with few others, they commented that this was one of the biggest courses they've ran. The walkthrough alone took about 15 minutes. My Z4 3.0si ran in class C which was mostly e36 m3s, s2000 and g37's. The best time was 75 seconds and I ran 92, wtf!

We were allowed 6 runs and I ran with an instructor the first 3 times. It took that long for me to just remember the layout, and even then I got lost in the middle section. What's funny is that with the sound of the tires squealing, I could've swore I was going "fast" but after looking at the video (gf recorded), I looked slow as f0ck. I never left 2nd gear but I think the fastest I probably got was 45-50mph? No clue as I was too focused on the road. But either way my slowness was validated by my time record.

My only real mods are lighter wheels (OZ's 18x8) in square setup with Hankook v12s, everything else was stock. I did NOT turn off DSC because being my first time I thought I might lose control. My friend who ran his S2000 mentioned that he shaved 5 seconds off his time by turning it off but I figured I'd do that next time.

I have to say it was pretty fun, at first I didn't have a great time because I thought to myself there's no way I'm going to remember this course and I'll be too worried about trying to find my way around. Instructors gave good tips though, telling me to focus 2-3 cones ahead and look in the direction I'm driving. Only problem is that when I look in that direction, I constanty found my vision blocked by the A-pillar whenever I was looking left. Also I have a tendency to drive with 1 hand and the instructor yelled at me for doing so, LOL. I know he's right but I find driving with 2 hands to be more restricitive when I turn b/c my arms get crossed. I guess I'll need to figure all this out over more practice/experience.

I'll upload videos later tonight but wanted to post this first. Assuming the car classifications are fair, I wonder how I'm supposed to shave off 15 seconds! I know it's going to be more driver skill than additional mods but I can't think what more I could've done to make up for that much more time. Sure I probably didn't enter each turn the way I was supposed to but would that really account for 15+ seconds?
      05-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Haha, I have my first AutoX event ever at Tire Rack in June. I fully expect similar results, even in a car that, in stock form, is ranked 2nd in A class after only the E90 M3.

Here, the 3.0si is 52 points, which is only 1 point less than the E46 M3.

I have a co-worker who's been doing autocross for a few years and from everything he tells me, it is much more about the driver than the car. There are people here with Minis who post better times than people with M3s.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

75 is a really long course. Ours are generally in the 50 sec timeframe, so you can memorize the course and really focus on hitting your marks from memory. If you are running against E36 M3's (with a little suspension work), you are in bad car class. I'm in a class with slightly mod'd E36 M3's, and I'm often slower. The traction control is hurting you some, your tires are hurting you some, not being able to memorize the entire course and figure out which corners to "sacrifice" in order to faster later on, is hurting you, no LSD is hurting you, and driver experience is hurting you. The good thing is most of that can be fixed with practice and a comfort level with the cars characteristics. Autox generally is "slow". In 90+% of the autox events I've run (BMW CCA & SCCA) I haven't needed to go into a gear higher than 2nd.

And yes, you should drive on the street and track with BOTH hands. You have much better control and feel with both hands and for tight turns you may need to shuffle steer, but short of shifting both hands should always be on the wheel.

Good luck withy our development!!

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
yea, i didn't stick around to see the full results so i'm sure someone got below 75 but i remember 71 secs was considered a really good score in the class above. and others said the same thing about how most courses they ran were done under a minute but this was the best course they've been on b/c of the length. either way i had a blast and i'm hoping to get 2-3 more events before end of summer.
      05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

I have yet to take my z4 to an autox or track day... but it sounds like you needed to walk the course a few more times. If you cant remember it before you start, chances are you need to walk it again. I normally walk it at least 2 times, if I still have blank spots I will walk it again. You wont be able to fully use your seat time if you dont know where you are going to turn next. Most instructors suggest you put you hands slightly below 10 and 2 closer to 9 and 3 so that you dont over compensate when you are turning. You are supposed to keep them there so you dont loose the center of the wheel, hence not taking them off. Just a suggestion/FYI.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
i would've rewalked if i could but they were already running behind schedule so they closed off the course after the 15 mins!
      05-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
i would've rewalked if i could but they were already running behind schedule so they closed off the course after the 15 mins!
Ouch that sucks specially for your first time out
Appreciate 0