ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Soft top question

Greetings,
Pulled my 07 M Roadster from the garage after winter storage. Car was stored with the roof closed, car cover, and battery tender. Strange thing is going on with the soft top. It goes up and down without difficulty. It disengages and engages the cowl of the windshield without difficulty. However, when the roof is retracted it stops just short of being flush to the rear shelf behind the seats and the red light stops blinking to indicate that it is retracted sufficiently; even though it is not. I bypassed the hydraulic motor and manually lowered the top, but it still stopped short of the rear shelf. I put some pressure on the top to see if I could move it to the "locked" position flush with the shelf, but it wouldn't budge. I have read multiple threads and Skipkiller's explanations for roof failures. It doesn't sound like a problem with the motor and if the compartment floor switch was bad, it wouldn't lower the top at all. I have checked the the shelf trunk to make sure it is at it's lowest position. In my Google search I found only one thread with this same problem. It was in the UK and it ended in a "black hole" with the person never updating the solution. The two things I'm thinking are that maybe the compartment switch has become glitchy or the switch arm is slightly bent...or the roof has suddenly decided to fold in such a way as to make the roof stop prematurely? Kind of scratching my head on this one...any help or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I would check on the positioning of the movable shelf in the trunk. Maybe its come off the track and is sticking up.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
I bypassed the hydraulic motor and manually lowered the top, but it still stopped short of the rear shelf.
This definitely points to some sort of obstruction, but odd that the red light extinguishes as per normal cycle completion. I'd be inspecting very closely for some stray protrusion - organic or inorganic. Otherwise, when auto-retracting, have you tried to assist the process at the end of its travel by pushing a bit as it descends into its cavity - like spotting a weightlifter?
      05-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
If the 'Compartment Floor' or shelf was up, then the top would not retract.

As Kimo says, do a visual for something obvious, and try lubricating the joints on the frame. The frame might be binding a little. This happens (top not going all the way down) more times than you think.

Since you have a 2007, you may or may not have the 'topdown' lock, as BMW deemed it unnecessary and it (the lock) was deleted later on, so if it sticks up an inch it is not a really a big deal. It just looks odd.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Also, there is a "Grabber" in the middle of the back deck that is supposed to grap and lock down the roof when it reaches the full open position. You should see a set of hooks about where that empty space under the roof in the photos that grap the roof and pull it locked down.
Maybe that is not grabbing and locking for you.
      05-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I know this is unlikely to be the cause but if it was very cold that day the roof may not operate properly. A buddy of mine experienced this but it was during winter on a cold day in his unheated garage . I know that's a long shot in this case but I'll throw it out there anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #7
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone for giving me some suggestions!
1. I've checked the shelf position and it appears normal.
2. Did a check for any obvious obstruction...didn't see anything, but will continue to look.
3. Will try that suggestion about guiding the roof as it descends.
4. Will lubricate the joints,
5. Will also investigate the "grabber" in the middle of the back deck.
I'm hoping I can get it to close flush because I don't like it looking "odd" as it sits right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z
I know this is unlikely to be the cause but if it was very cold that day the roof may not operate properly. A buddy of mine experienced this but it was during winter on a cold day in his unheated garage . I know that's a long shot in this case but I'll throw it out there anyway.
Thanks Huz for the suggestion. It wasn't that cold when I operated the top, but it is still something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #9
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Further to my last, check carefully that the fabric is folding as designed. A rogue pleat could bind the whole retraction cycle - and, like electricity, once it folds that way once it will always seek the path of least resistance until corrected.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Och the deadly rogue pleat - bonnie wee scourge of the Scotish kilt wearer for many a generation!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Och the deadly rogue pleat - bonnie wee scourge of the Scotish kilt wearer for many a generation!
True that. And depending upon where that pleat may fall, it can be injurious to your health or turn you from a tenor to a soprano.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
Further to my last, check carefully that the fabric is folding as designed. A rogue pleat could bind the whole retraction cycle - and, like electricity, once it folds that way once it will always seek the path of least resistance until corrected.
Good point. Will also check that as well
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z
Appreciate 0