ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Bluetooth module possibly dead? Upgrade options?

OK, so at the end of last month I went on a trip and when I got back my battery was completely dead, had the car jump started, it went into limp mode for the first 10 minutes or so and then went back to normal. Everything started working normally except my bluetooth.

I can't get the thing to even want to sync with a phone. I have pressed both the voice icon button and the R/T button on the wheel and it won't go to the "searching" mode. Even pressing the little BMW roadside assistance button (phone with wrench) doesn't do anything.

I checked both fuses that the fuse card says are associated with the phone system and they are good. I even unhooked the module completely, let it sit unhooked overnight to see if it would reset, and nothing.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Are there some other fuses that are associated with the module that I don't know about? Any secret hard reset methods? I contacted the dealer and of course it isn't covered by CPO, so any help would be appreciated.

If by chance it is fried, does anyone know of any good upgrades or third party systems that would work? I always thought the stock system kinda sucked to begin with so if I have to drop some money to get it fixed might as well see if there is a way to upgrade it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
gferil
Captain
Rep

Bump.

Just tested out that neither the SOS or BMW assist buttons are working, so I think it's a pretty clear sign that the BMW Bluetooth TCU went bad. I'm going to double check all the fuses in the fuse block just to make sure, but other than that sounds like I'm SOL...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

should be able to just replace the TCU, I think....
      04-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
SF-Z4_3.0si
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i convertible

My bluetooth stopped working today. :-( Not to say was the best when it did work, but I have gotten quite used to using it. I have a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si.
Up until today, the bluetooth worked fine. Nothing has been disconnected or unhooked. There were no strange noises in the speakers, etc. The radio still works. I do not have navigation.
I have pressed the R/T button on the steering wheel and nothing appears on the radio. Same holds true when pressing the talk button on the left of the steering wheel. My phone says it cannot pair.
For giggles, I pressed the SOS button. Nothing happened.
I have yet to unhook the battery or search the fuses. It that a potential fix?

Thank You in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
gferil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Z4_3.0si View Post
My bluetooth stopped working today. :-( Not to say was the best when it did work, but I have gotten quite used to using it. I have a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si.
Up until today, the bluetooth worked fine. Nothing has been disconnected or unhooked. There were no strange noises in the speakers, etc. The radio still works. I do not have navigation.
I have pressed the R/T button on the steering wheel and nothing appears on the radio. Same holds true when pressing the talk button on the left of the steering wheel. My phone says it cannot pair.
For giggles, I pressed the SOS button. Nothing happened.
I have yet to unhook the battery or search the fuses. It that a potential fix?

Thank You in advance.
If it's anything like how my BT went out (my replacement module actually crapped out a few months back, so now that's 2 broken ones I've been through), then you should go pull a fuse now before it starts draining your battery. I'll have to look into my files for the paperwork to see the actual number of current draw, but if you're handy with a multi-meter then you can check the current draw yourself, and see how much current is being drawn by your system when the car is "off". That's how my dealership found the fault, my car was drawing an abnormally high current when in the off position, and found it was coming from the defective TCU.

Hopefully for you it's just a blown fuse, so check the fuse first, and if the fuse is fine, and your car ends up dead after a day or two of no use, then you can pretty much point to the defective TCU.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
SF-Z4_3.0si
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I reviewed the fuse box diagram earlier. Would the fuse for this be under the (3) fuses for the radio? I have been hunting the forum to see if others replaced this fuse.
My other thought was to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
gferil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Z4_3.0si View Post
I reviewed the fuse box diagram earlier. Would the fuse for this be under the (3) fuses for the radio? I have been hunting the forum to see if others replaced this fuse.
My other thought was to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Thank you in advance.
I think it is either #47 or #49, the one on the diagram that has an icon of a phone next to it. All I remember is one of them, when removed, made the radio not work, and the other one, when removed, still allowed the radio to work. I pulled the one that still allowed the radio to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
SF-Z4_3.0si
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

#49, the 10amp fuse was the culprit. I replaced it this afternoon and the Bluetooth immediately worked. Whew.
Appreciate 0