ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
rich337
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Should I avoid 2006 models?

Hello,

Former Z4MC owner here I've itching to get back into a Coupe or Roadster, and I've found a couple '06 models that I'm interested in.

What's the general consensus on that model year? My main concern is the S54 VANOS bolts -- is that a big enough deterrent to hold out for an '07 or '08?

Thanks,
Rich
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich337 View Post
Hello,

Former Z4MC owner here I've itching to get back into a Coupe or Roadster, and I've found a couple '06 models that I'm interested in.

What's the general consensus on that model year? My main concern is the S54 VANOS bolts -- is that a big enough deterrent to hold out for an '07 or '08?

Thanks,
Rich
i did them on my 07 I don't think you should worry to much since ( not that i can find ) its an issue on the M coupe
      01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Vanos bolts is very uncommon on our platform, and can affect all years.

There's one area the 06s are better: they use the ABS to monitor tire inflation. So you don't have to worry about TPS in the tires.

The other differences are the strut braces (one time bolts instead of nuts, easy enough to fix with nord-locks), the aux-in (also just a $40 DIY, super easy, see my build thread for instructions), and maybe the engine bolts. But some of these things really didn't get fixed until 08 so it's really not worth worrying about.

Much more important is to make sure that the car had its oil changed every 2 years (or sooner depending on mileage) and that the brake fluid got flushed on schedule. A well maintained 06 is much better than an ok maintained 08.

Unless you really want space gray, then you don't have a choice
      01-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

06, 07 and 08 are all the same.

Just be more concerned about general mechanical condition of the car and less about model year.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
rich337
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. I'm a hypochondriac when it comes to S54s, maybe unrightfully so
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

funny you're shopping for my car, an immaculate '06 M-R 1500 miles, with old school/time interval changes of all fuids, with Redline and OEM (coolant, brake) while I am scouting for the S65 M3. ironic
My '06 FWIW has been bullet proof, granted it's a GQ
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Much more important is to make sure that the car had its oil changed every 2 years (or sooner depending on mileage) and that the brake fluid got flushed on schedule. A well maintained 06 is much better than an ok maintained 08.
Buying an old car based on the fact that the service book is correctly ticked ... is like buying an old house on the basis that is has a new coat of paint and thinking that covers you. It tells you almost nothing ... it gives you no idea as to how the car was driven, on what it was driven, whether it was tracked, if it was garaged, or outside by the seaside, what sort of accidents it had, etc etc ... the things that really matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
06, 07 and 08 are all the same.

Just be more concerned about general mechanical condition of the car and less about model year.

This isn't 100% accurate. 06 models manufactured before 1/06 use a lot of the pre-facelift parts. For example, the DSC controller was changed over in 1/06, so earlier 06 models have the older one.

I have an 06 and have found this to be the case with quite a few parts, not only DSC controller.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstic View Post
This isn't 100% accurate. 06 models manufactured before 1/06 use a lot of the pre-facelift parts. For example, the DSC controller was changed over in 1/06, so earlier 06 models have the older one.

I have an 06 and have found this to be the case with quite a few parts, not only DSC controller.
Not sure if this is an issue with the M's as they started production later in 06...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

correct... not an M issue
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstic View Post

This is for M's. The M's never had a facelift.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
Buying an old car based on the fact that the service book is correctly ticked ... is like buying an old house on the basis that is has a new coat of paint and thinking that covers you. It tells you almost nothing ... it gives you no idea as to how the car was driven, on what it was driven, whether it was tracked, if it was garaged, or outside by the seaside, what sort of accidents it had, etc etc ... the things that really matter.
Although I agree with you, it's also telling of the person owning the car.

Someone who doesn't take the time to get the oil changed and the brakes flushed is also more likely to not care and thrash the car when cold.

Someone who does the oil and break fluid religiously every 2 years (even if the service indicator hasn't gone over), means that they read the manual and took the care and attention to go out of their way to perform these services. People that go out of their way to read the manual and inform themselves are more likely to know that you need to warm up a car properly before taking it to redline.

I'm sure they are people on either side of the fence that don't fit the stereotypes above, but you have to play with the odds for you. If you can additionally get a clean carfax, and get to talk to the person then you're in even better shape.

But even talking to the person is unreliable, people lie. Especially when they want to sell you something. So the only "deterministic" thing you have is that print out of the service record and car fax, and both of these can be unreliable.

In the end a PPI is the best thing to do and always worth the money, as they will usually find a few small things you can use to haggle the price, or will warn you of a potential mistake.

Putting ALL of this together is the absolute best thing, as it will paint a picture. You can fudge one of the things above, but putting everything together the one "fudged" thing will stand out.
      02-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
rich337
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thanks for all of the tips. a PPI is definitely in order.

much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich337 View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
Rich
Mine is an '06 with 55K. When I had the valves adjusted at 52K, mechanic commented that my engine is spotless inside (I do regular oil changes). I have had no trouble with the engine at all. My power steering hoses were replaced under warranty for weeping at the fittings.

If you are looking at a roadster and it has the Carver audio system there has been some discussion that the '06 roadster has the very best system - subsequent coupe and roadster models are reported to sound bad. I can only verify that my Carver system sounds quite good in my '06 roadster and I am a high end audio fanatic. Haven't ever been able to reconcile the "sounds bad" comments.
Appreciate 0