ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Water overheating

My water temp rises until it boils over. Started today. I left the car at the nearest repair shop.

The oil temp started creeping up too, but the yellow water temp sign came on fairly quickly, just over the middle temperature of the oil.

I tried adding warm water, and bleeding it, but its just boiling and not doing anything. I'm thinking its the water pump, I"m at 70k miles. My AC started being very weak today when stopped, too. I see the OEM one is $500, $400 from tischer.

Isn't there a better, metal, aftermarket alternative? Stewart makes a great non-M pump
      06-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
My water temp rises until it boils over. Started today. I left the car at the nearest repair shop.

The oil temp started creeping up too, but the yellow water temp sign came on fairly quickly, just over the middle temperature of the oil.

I tried adding warm water, and bleeding it, but its just boiling and not doing anything. I'm thinking its the water pump, I"m at 70k miles. I see the OEM one is $500, $400 from tischer.

Isn't there a better, metal, aftermarket alternative?
Not too surprising the water pulley with most supercharger kits runs the pump harder. The ones in our cars is quite good and better than most aftermarket options, the only thing that goes is the bearings usually at 80-100k miles. I am replacing mine while switching my radiator to an OEM one from Tischer. Some places have stock pumps with modified bearings and impellers for the E46 M3 water pump but none for the Z4M as our housing and connections are slightly different. Stock is the best option in this case, especially since its quality.
George
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Not too surprising the water pulley with most supercharger kits runs the pump harder. The ones in our cars is quite good and better than most aftermarket options, the only thing that goes is the bearings usually at 80-100k miles. I am replacing mine while switching my radiator to an OEM one from Tischer. Some places have stock pumps with modified bearings and impellers for the E46 M3 water pump but none for the Z4M as our housing and connections are slightly different. Stock is the best option in this case, especially since its quality.
George
Didn't know our pump is different from the E46 M3 pump, thanks for the heads up. I doubt there's a good aftermarket replacement for such a rare part
      06-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

yeah its my $500 water pump. Some place quoted me $3k for a cooling system overhaul. 6 hours labor to replace the water pump. $700 for the water pump itself. LAWL

ordered my parts from tischer, will fix it this weekend. Putting in new hoses and thermostat too, preventive maintenance