ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

rear caliper dust boot install tool?

Does anyone know if the special tool used to press on the Z4M rear caliper dust boot is available anywhere? Or if someone has a clever alternative? Can't seem to find it online and dealers are closed today. Seems to be BMW P/N 83 30 0 492 459.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

I am rebuilding all my caliper right now... the fronts were a piece of cake but damm those rear dust boots are a pain. I was able to get one on but i dont even know how i did it. I am thinking of using a small section of PVC pipe that is the diameter of the lock ring on the dust boot then using a vise to press it on.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Finished over the weekend. As noted, fronts are easy. Btw, ecs sells the ATE front kit for about $15 and the equivalent OEM kit for about double that. I bought one of each and they are identical. BMW just charges double for the same ATE part. No surprise there.

Rears not so easy. In lieu of the special bmw tool (which is on order from germany, ~$50) I used a spray can cap that happened to be just the right size. However, the cap was flimsy and didn't apply enough pressure and not evenly. So the procedure involved a lot of cursing, but I eventually managed to press the damn things on. I don't recommend using a screwdriver in an attempt to work the boot on. You will most likely just puncture the new boot, which will require doing it all again once the replacement arrives next week. Yeah. The rear boots are only available as a BMW part, at least from ecs, and they're almost $40 each so you really don't want to f@&$ them up.
Appreciate 0