ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

Oil Filter

Does anyone have any experience with anything besides the BMW oil filter? I am wanting to change my oil this weekend and I cant get my hands on an OEM, my local adavance auto parts has bosch (and a few other) filters in stock and I was wondering if anyone had an experience with them? Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Advance Auto parts carries K&N filters and the K&N filter for this car is the exact same filter as the OEM (Mann) in a different package. However, if you buy the filter by itself, it's pretty expensive--more than you would pay at the dealer. Best way to buy it is with an oil and filter package, which is usually about $27.99 with Synthetic oil. Other than that filter, I wouldn't use any other aftermarket filter on the M54 engine.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

Just as an update. I went ahead with the bosch premium filter; the oil change (used castrol full syn 5w-30) and sparkplug (NGK iridiums) change is pretty straight forward and simple on this car. Car seems to run a little bit smoother then before, but the plugs looked like they need to be replaces. Good way to save about $100. Seems my car needs a lil more then the 6.6 - 6.9 ltrs of oil... that only gets it to the first notch on the stick. I will probably have to top it off to get it inbetween the 2 notches.
Appreciate 0