ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
JohnnyBravo_e85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver BMW z4 2.5 5speed

Engine Acceleration Problem PLEASE HELP!

Hey everyone, so as the title states im having engine acceleration problems with my z4 2.5i. I thought it was the Vanos that needed to be repaired so i bought a kit and repaired and replaced all the O Rings and seals myself and followed the instructions on a thread on the forums for the repair, the car was jumping up and down from 2k-3k RPM and getting worse prior to the repair but after all the repair was done and the acceleration did get stronger BUT it does still wines up and down at 3k-4k RPM still and it didnt completely fixed the issue. Bellow are the maintenance that i have done already on the car to ensure everything would work correctly..
*Ignition Coils
*Vanos Rebuild Kit from Dr. Vanos
*Spark Plugs
*Head Gasket
*Disa Rebuilt also with the O Ring Replacement
*MAF Sensor Cleaned
Im not sure what else to do, maybe there is a valve adjustment that needs to be done? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in Advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Not sure if your 2.5 has an idle control valve but believe so....

While it may not be responsible for the 3-4K jumping, it's relatively easy to remove and clean. It's one of the few things you haven't done...
      03-03-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Any codes mate?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post

While it may not be responsible for the 3-4K jumping, it's relatively easy to remove and clean. It's one of the few things you haven't done...

^^ this and vacuum lines that may be broken or dislodged during your maintenance.

You noted head gasket. Did you have the same symptoms before that piece of maintenance?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
JohnnyBravo_e85
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post

yeah i clean to ICV and with ICV Cleaners just because and it was the issue below is what ive found to be the issue and it fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo_e85
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Any codes mate?
as of now there are no more codes after ive done what is stated below
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo_e85
Private
United_States
Rep

**FIXED**
Reset the ECU and Reset Throttle Position
Car is now Re-Learning how to drive basically and its got all its pep back and is running perfect! No more surging in throttle over 4k RPM and seems to be driving exactly how it is. Reason im thinking it was driving like that was because my Vanos has been needing a rebuild for awhile and it was driving like crap so the ECU and TPS thought thats how the car is suppose to be driven. I thought i needed my ECU Reflashed cause thats what i read on the forums but before doing all of that and paying i thought id try the reset method cause it didnt cost me anything and it surprisingly fixed it for me. Below is how i reset both and i hope it helps someone out with the same problem ive had.

**Resetting ECU**
1. Unplug both + & - connectors and put a cloth over the battery so you dont accidentally short anything
2. Touch both the connectors together for 10-15 minutes, dont worry this wont short anything on the car.
3. Plug battery back in and now your ECU should be RESET if you CLOCK on the car is black like default
DONE

**Resetting Throttle Position Sensor"
1. Turn key to position #1
2. Step on the gas pedal 5 times then hold it there
3. Turn key to position #2 and then back to position #0
4. NOW start the car and your TPS Sensor should be resetted and i guess drive it normally and dont go ham just yet.

**If anyone knows of a way or a link of how to break in the TPS sensor the correct way please let me know, im just driving the car normally to break it in but im sure there is a correct way to do it, Thanks in advance!**
Appreciate 0