ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4m

Question Euro header install q's - please help.

Hello friends,
Z4M owner here, I’m hoping someone could take a moment and clarify a few questions for me for regarding adding euro headers. I have already purchased the headers and I’m preparing to install.
My questions:
• I understand they are a direct fit, with the exception of the O2 and EGT bungs. How many O2 (and EGT?) sensors need to be relocated after install to the secondary cat? How many bungs need to be welded? Where should the bungs be welded in relation to the secondary cat?
• I understand the wires can be stretched to fit or can be extended by splicing in more wire correct?
• Final q: I plan to purchase a tune at the same time (AA, ESS or Evolve..not sure which). Does that make relocating the 02 sensors unnecessary? Can the tune ‘turn-off’ the unneeded 02 sensors? How can the tune help me in this regard?

Thank you anyone for taking the time to help me!

Last edited by VindieselJetta; 02-21-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindieselJetta View Post
Hello friends,
Z4M owner here, I’m hoping someone could take a moment and clarify a few questions for me for regarding adding euro headers. I have already purchased the headers and I’m preparing to install.
My questions:
• I understand they are a direct fit, with the exception of the O2 and EGT bungs. How many O2 (and EGT?) sensors need to be relocated after install to the secondary cat? How many bungs need to be welded? Where should the bungs be welded in relation to the secondary cat?
• I understand the wires can be stretched to fit or can be extended by splicing in more wire correct?
• Final q: I plan to purchase a tune at the same time (AA, ESS or Evolve..not sure which). Does that make relocating the 02 sensors unnecessary? Can the tune ‘turn-off’ the unneeded 02 sensors? How can the tune help me in this regard?

Thank you anyone for taking the time to help me!
Two O2's and one EGT sensor and two bungs for each of the O2's. See if you can get Donovan a forum member who sells euro headers and cats for a pic of the euro cats and just replicate that setup.

Regardless of tune the O2's still need to be relocated as the euro headers doesn't have cats on them. Most of the tuners will either desensitize the O2 sensors so they will still pass emissions when plugged in but if a tuner "turns them off" during any emissions testing they will show as "not ready" and will fail your emissions test. Just let whoever you choose to buy a tune from let them know what you have and what it is you want and they will get you squared away. For the most part all of the tunes are similar in method some companies must just have refined their tunes better than others. I'd check out Tuning Tech Frank Smith he's a guru in tuning with our cars and overall. Hope this helps and good luck with your build!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Did you watch my videos? That should help you a lot. Try to avoid splicing the wire. That can cause issues. Try hard to just unravel the existing wires.

Even if you relocate the bungs you still might get an error code because the north american cats are too short to clean the exhaust enough to not set off the senors. People have gotten tunes to solve that problem. You could also try a defouler but that is just trial and error. There are even defoulers with mini cats in them.
My video:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ing+o2+sensors

Last edited by Jumbosock; 02-23-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0