ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Track Pad Recommendations but...

So I know there are TONS of threads on track pad recommendations but here's the thing... although my car is becoming more and more track and less street, I still end up driving to each of the DE events which are all about 250+ miles or so away from me. And on top of that, I obviously love taking the car out on nice weather days/weekends.

So I don't mind running separate pads but I figured I'd throw out the question anyway, is there any pad that will let me get away with both? I was thinking HP+ or PFC06 on all 4 corners might do the trick but I've heard from some "experts" that these pads are also "compromise" pads, too much dust/squeal for street, not enough temp range for track. Also, would it be possible to run something like PFC06 up front, and stock pads in the rear?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-22-2011 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I've run the HP+, they're a great performance street pad that can be driven hard on track, however depending on your skill level at the track you'll likely want something with more bite. On the street once you've gotten them up to temp they'll squeel like a mack track.

Your best bet if you're driving the car to the track is to swap your pads once you get there to a track compound, and use a true street compound once you're done.
      08-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
wrose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [8.50]
2007 Z4MC  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
Track pad recommendations

I have been using Hawk HP+ pads since june and have at least 12 track days on them and it is my daily driver. they are noisy on street but provide more than adequate bite on the track for me and are no more than 30% worn yet and bedded with my OE used rotors fine. I would buy them again
( We usually get 150-200 kms each track day)
Good luck with your choice
Wayne
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I think it really depends on how much 'seat time' you have.

After two years I am just now getting to the point to were I need to start to think about using a dedicated track pad. eg. change them out at the track.

As you know I have been using the CoolCarbons over the last year and just replaced them with another set. I think these are a great 'middle ground' pad. You absolutely cannot overpower them on the street, and it takes dedicated effort to get to that point on the track. People that do not have that much seat time will have a hard time saturating them. I have not overpowered them yet, but I really think it is getting might close.. I measured my rotor temps as soon as I came off the track at VIR and they were sitting at 1100', but the braking system never got soft or mushy. Even the initial 'bite' was the same. Hell, my buddy who tracks his C5, C6 Corvettes and also his Miata thinks that the initial bite of the MC is staggering.

The makers of CC have also improved the pads since my first set. This second set now has chamfered edges on the front pads and a groove in the center of the pad to reduce temperature stress cracking. They have also redesigned the stainless steel anti-squeal plates, more specifically the mounting rivets so they will not come off like my first set did.

One of the side benefits I have found is that the new pads also dust less than the older pads. I know that is not that big a deal for you since you are moving toward a more track only oriented car but for the people who just do an occasional track day, this can be important.

One other thing is that they are more rotor friendly than a dedicated track pad.

After you do your research, let me know what you come up with. I may be going down that road also... but if you don't think you want to go the route of a dedicated track pad, you might want to give these a try.
Appreciate 0