ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Even with 4 inches on the ground on Monday, today was a 50+F day for our first autocross. It was a non points event, just a fun day to shake the cobwebs off

Fastest run from today. Car didn't want to put power down, seemed to be upset everywhere on the course, and my inputs were really choppy.

Despite getting owned by a Miata in RTR, finished a respectable 2nd in class and more importantly 12th in PAX even with the trouble I was having....

C&C appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

nice vid, first runs of the year are always fun runs here as well.

What RPMs are you doing your launch? Seems like you had a lot of wheel spin.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler
nice vid, first runs of the year are always fun runs here as well.

What RPMs are you doing your launch? Seems like you had a lot of wheel spin.
It was at about 2k...anything under and it would bog, but 2k seemed to work get some heat and the tires would start to skip and get traction.

The tires literally had no heat in them the whole day, it was frustrating. RS3s do not like the cold, so it was an ongoing battle trying to drive on them
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

The cold weather and RS3s didn't help you work on smoothing out inputs much. Yeah, it's a bit choppy and you know that (winter rust from not practicing), but you're expecting the car to handle differently (as it would with heat in the tires) and when it doesn't, you have to quickly "compensate" which isn't conducive to smooth driving. I'd call it a spring wake up call and work on being smoother (maybe try to "go slower" the first time or two out) the next time out, when hopefully the weather will be more conducive to grip with those tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The cold weather and RS3s didn't help you work on smoothing out inputs much. Yeah, it's a bit choppy and you know that (winter rust from not practicing), but you're expecting the car to handle differently (as it would with heat in the tires) and when it doesn't, you have to quickly "compensate" which isn't conducive to smooth driving. I'd call it a spring wake up call and work on being smoother (maybe try to "go slower" the first time or two out) the next time out, when hopefully the weather will be more conducive to grip with those tires.
Yea, this is my actually my first time driving when low temperatures on my car. Other cars it was on Star Specs.

This is a new camera position for me, and with the addition of the mic it really helps determine the on/off of the gas and brakes, as well as tire squeal.

Although it doesn't show the course too well, you can still determine it I believe...

Here is my second fastest time, 0.2 seconds off my FTD. Much more smooth, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Agreed, that run was much smoother. Always nice seeing the Z4Ms autox.

Good luck this year!

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Much smoother with hands, on/off braking seems smoother too, as does transition to throttle. Braking, especially coming off smoothly, is huge in terms of increasing absolute grip. (Something I've really focused on with my driving--still learning though, a lot of way to go.) This run is much better--nice work! Good luck this year!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
Agreed, that run was much smoother. Always nice seeing the Z4Ms autox.

Good luck this year!
Thank you. I'll be posting videos throughout the year with positive results, hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Much smoother with hands, on/off braking seems smoother too, as does transition to throttle. Braking, especially coming off smoothly, is huge in terms of increasing absolute grip. (Something I've really focused on with my driving--still learning though, a lot of way to go.) This run is much better--nice work! Good luck this year!
Thank you! "Shocking" the car with brakes or throttle isn't ideal, as you'll just disrupt the balance.

Only going into my 4th year for autox, 2nd year with the car set-up as it is currently.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

You need to break the habit of shuffle steering. It took a while for me to brake but really keeps turn in inputs smoother. You seem to need more throttle modulation, rather than on/off especially on RS3's in the cooler temps. They really respond to a 2# drop when grip temps are lower. Finally, it looks especially early, you broke, floated and then entered the turn. I'm a huge proponent of braking very late but hard, set the front end, and then immediately roll, even lightly, onto the throttle to transition the weight to the rear. The less time between brake and some throttle the better in our cars with the short wheel base. Overall though, it was pretty good for a first event of the season.
      04-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
You need to break the habit of shuffle steering. It took a while for me to brake but really keeps turn in inputs smoother. You seem to need more throttle modulation, rather than on/off especially on RS3's in the cooler temps. They really respond to a 2# drop when grip temps are lower. Finally, it looks especially early, you broke, floated and then entered the turn. I'm a huge proponent of braking very late but hard, set the front end, and then immediately roll, even lightly, onto the throttle to transition the weight to the rear. The less time between brake and some throttle the better in our cars with the short wheel base. Overall though, it was pretty good for a first event of the season.
Thanks for the comments.

Regarding shuffle steering, should I start doing like hand-over hand on tight corners or what other method? I try not to move my hands when possible (like slaloms, lane changes...etc)

I know my throttle modulation sucks, this is my first time using an external mic so I really got to know how the throttle is....all prior videos it was muffled from wind noise.

Interesting information on the pressure drop. I ran 36# front and 34# rear and at the end of the day I had to go to 37# front to avoid massive rollover past the arrows. This is similar pressure I ran when in the middle of the summer. I'll have to think about that one.

As far as coasting, I've been worse...and have got better. I have too noticed that I do float a bit...the course had a lot of gravel, and of course STR, STX, STU cars that went in the heat prior took tight lines where I needed to open the course up and take more speed, the gravel killed me. Especially after the loop and into the wide left handed sweeper into the slalom the morning I was dealing with massive understeer into oversteer from later braking. I figured I mine as well not do that in the PM runs and try to keep the car more supposed. With heat though in the tires and brakes (as you heard my HP+ pads were still screaming) I can brake later for sure. It's something that I need to work on.

Thanks for the comments. I've seen plenty of your vids and it seems to work for you
Appreciate 0