ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
VMZ432
Fast Everything
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Z4M track vid plus F40 on fire!

Video of my Z4MC running at Sandown on Thursday. A hot lap followed by a bit of Ferrari F40 action, and a nice little off track adventure (damn, that was looking like a nice lap!).

A great day as usual and the car is running like a top!

Available in 1080p if you can swing it.

2006 IBlue BMW Z4 MC - ESS VT2-525 Supercharged, JRZ RS1 suspension (500#F, 600#R) with Vorshlag plates, ST Trophy BBK with CL R6E pads, KKS gated exhaust, TMS sway bars, RE rear camber arms, VT engine mounts, Recaro Pole Position (driver), APR GT wing, Street: Volk G2s and Potenza, Track: Volk TE37SLs and BFG R1s.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

very nice! sad to see the F40 on fire, but you can't go a day without seeing a ferrari in flames....

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Good catch on the braking mishap... WHEW!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
Good catch on the braking mishap... WHEW!
Indeed!

VMZ432, thanks for sharing! Is that an APR wing I see on the back in the shadow? RPI exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
VMZ432
Fast Everything
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Indeed!

VMZ432, thanks for sharing! Is that an APR wing I see on the back in the shadow? RPI exhaust?
Yeah, it's an APR wing, which I love! The exhaust (all stock except cans) is a KKS gated exhaust. It sounds close to stock when closed, but is decently loud when open (as it is in the vid of course).

Regarding the "near miss", I could have pulled it up quicker if I'd stayed hard on the brakes (like you're generally supposed to during a spin) but I could see I wasn't going to hit anything so I was more concerned with making the car end up in an easier spot to drive out of plus clear of any traffic. In retrospect, I should have just played it safe and got stopped as soon as possible.

The actual cause was a complete screw up of heel/toe finesse, so much so I had to lift my right foot and start again. This meant that I was braking way too hard through the corner, and the slicks just gave up all at once (as they do). On street tires things would have been a little different. I suspect there would have been more understeer for one, making the off a little safer in this case.

The funny thing was, right before this session I mentioned to someone in the pits it had been a long time since I'd had an off, like more than a year. How cliché....... what a stupid thing to say at the track! Just asking for trouble.

2006 IBlue BMW Z4 MC - ESS VT2-525 Supercharged, JRZ RS1 suspension (500#F, 600#R) with Vorshlag plates, ST Trophy BBK with CL R6E pads, KKS gated exhaust, TMS sway bars, RE rear camber arms, VT engine mounts, Recaro Pole Position (driver), APR GT wing, Street: Volk G2s and Potenza, Track: Volk TE37SLs and BFG R1s.

Last edited by VMZ432; 03-24-2013 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Added pic
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMZ432 View Post
Yeah, it's an APR wing, which I love! The exhaust (all stock except cans) is a KKS gated exhaust. It sounds close to stock when closed, but is decently loud when open (as it is in the vid of course).

Regarding the "near miss", I could have pulled it up quicker if I'd stayed hard on the brakes (like you're generally supposed to during a spin) but I could see I wasn't going to hit anything so I was more concerned with making the car end up in an easier spot to drive out of plus clear of any traffic. In retrospect, I should have just played it safe and got stopped as soon as possible.

The actual cause was a complete screw up of heel/toe finesse, so much so I had to lift my right foot and start again. This meant that I was braking way too hard through the corner, and the slicks just gave up all at once (as they do). On street tires things would have been a little different. I suspect there would have been more understeer for one, making the off a little safer in this case.

The funny thing was, right before this session I mentioned to someone in the pits it had been a long time since I'd had an off, like more than a year. How cliché....... what a stupid thing to say at the track! Just asking for trouble.
Ah, I know exactly what you mean about that kind of mistake. Not fun. Well, I always say any day that both you and the car go home in one piece is a good day! So, as offs go, not bad.

Nice bit of driving otherwise, and that looks like a fun track.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-25-2013 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

What slicks are you running?

It's a good reminded to people who aren't ready to run slicks what you "can" encounter. There is no forgiveness on R-Comps, let along vocal noise associated with it. When they want to go they'll let you know.

Good driving!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

really fun to watch
thanks
love the multi-angles

glad it wasn't a serious mishap

how many miles on your ride? How's the clutch holding up?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Great Vid. Sad about the F40. Love the exhaust sound!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
VMZ432
Fast Everything
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
What slicks are you running?

It's a good reminded to people who aren't ready to run slicks what you "can" encounter. There is no forgiveness on R-Comps, let along vocal noise associated with it. When they want to go they'll let you know.

Good driving!
Slicks are BFG R1's. Not the stickiest tire (true to their Tire Rack feedback) but they are long lasting and I have no complaints. Yes, slicks are definitely not as vocal! Not such a bad thing though, it forces you to pay complete attention to the attitude of the car, which along with the engine pitch really tells you all you need to know. Once you get used to it, it feels like streets talk too much. The idea that they give up all at once takes longer to come to grips with, but it's worth it.

Speaking of being worth it though, I sometimes struggle to see the value. My best lap time on slicks on that track is 1:25:15. On streets my best time is 1:26:69. Just over 1.5 seconds. That's not much really.

Still, I much prefer the slicks, and you really can feel the extra grip. And I really like the idea that I'm not wearing out my road tires forcing them to do something they aren't designed for. And I love that they last much longer than street tires before handling turns to goo.

On the downside they take a little longer to warm up, there is an extra cost in wheels, they are unusable in the wet, and it's more messing around generally.

There is a good case for going either way. For me the extra grip and longer life per session is enough reason to feel they are worth it. But if time and money was a big factor, I'd prefer to spend it elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
really fun to watch
thanks
love the multi-angles

glad it wasn't a serious mishap

how many miles on your ride? How's the clutch holding up?
Thanks buddy. Hopefully my next vid will be a step up with better views of the car itself and inside shots.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say my Z4 only has 16,500 miles on it. It's not my primary vehicle, and I ride bikes too. The clutch still feels perfect, perhaps as you'd expect on that mileage but considering the extra power from the VT1 it's not a given.

VT2-525 goes on in a couple of months. We'll see how the clutch survives that!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMZ432 View Post
Slicks are BFG R1's. Not the stickiest tire (true to their Tire Rack feedback) but they are long lasting and I have no complaints. Yes, slicks are definitely not as vocal! Not such a bad thing though, it forces you to pay complete attention to the attitude of the car, which along with the engine pitch really tells you all you need to know. Once you get used to it, it feels like streets talk too much. The idea that they give up all at once takes longer to come to grips with, but it's worth it.

Speaking of being worth it though, I sometimes struggle to see the value. My best lap time on slicks on that track is 1:25:15. On streets my best time is 1:26:69. Just over 1.5 seconds. That's not much really.

Still, I much prefer the slicks, and you really can feel the extra grip. And I really like the idea that I'm not wearing out my road tires forcing them to do something they aren't designed for. And I love that they last much longer than street tires before handling turns to goo.

On the downside they take a little longer to warm up, there is an extra cost in wheels, they are unusable in the wet, and it's more messing around generally.

There is a good case for going either way. For me the extra grip and longer life per session is enough reason to feel they are worth it. But if time and money was a big factor, I'd prefer to spend it elsewhere.
In the autocross word they typically say that on a 60 second course, same car and driver there should be a 1 sec difference from R-Comps and Street Tires.

The technology these days with street tires are really amazing. The BFG Rivials, Dunlop Star Specs or now ZIIs and the Hankook RS3s are something to consider in the future, IMO. All meant for high performance driving.

The BFG Rivals are suppose to be the fastest tire so far, and it has been proving that with all of the independent tests that have been conducted.

Perhaps you should look into some Continental Slicks...some 17" sizes are on sale DIRT CHEAP

https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
jon1275
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe ILB

Great video. Car sounds awesome. Multiple angle edits very cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
VMZ432
Fast Everything
Rep

Quote:
In the autocross word they typically say that on a 60 second course, same car and driver there should be a 1 sec difference from R-Comps and Street Tires.
I guess that's pretty much what I am getting. I thought they'd be good for double that in time savings, but I must admit I never really researched that properly.

Quote:
The technology these days with street tires are really amazing. The BFG Rivials, Dunlop Star Specs or now ZIIs and the Hankook RS3s are something to consider in the future, IMO. All meant for high performance driving.

The BFG Rivals are suppose to be the fastest tire so far, and it has been proving that with all of the independent tests that have been conducted.
I'll take a look at those BFG's and Hankook's when I am after new street tires, thanks. I didn't like the Star Specs on the Z4 though, thought they were only a small step up from the OEM contis. Everyone else seems to like them lots, so maybe it's just me. FWIW they are GREAT on the WRX, and I haven't tried the new version.

I quite like the Potenzas on the track. They came already on the wheels, and I have been pleased with them. IMO better than the Star Specs.

Quote:
Perhaps you should look into some Continental Slicks...some 17" sizes are on sale DIRT CHEAP

https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm
[/QUOTE]

My track wheels are actually 18"s. I said smaller than my streets, because my streets are 19". I would have happily stuck with the OEM wheels, but they wouldn't clear the BBK of course, and spacers are illegal here.

Great price for people with 17" wheels and who love those discontinued Continentals! I've seen posts of people looking for them. Good price on 18" rears for the Z4 too but they don't have any fronts. Doesn't matter though, I should get another year on the BFG R1's. After that I want to try something really hardcore that wears out in 4 days.
Appreciate 0