ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #67
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownX View Post
gtMC - Was there an improvement after the RE trans mounts? Any additional NVH after the RE mounts?
Yes there was an improvement with just the RE mounts. It helped reduce notchiness in shifting, especially from 1->2nd. no added NVH to speak of though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Not in your head. Previously when you accelerated the engine had to move a fair amount before the power got to the wheels. Now that the engine is not moving nearly as much, you get more "instantaneous" power.

One more great feature is that these mounts are fail safe. So even if they crack in half they still will work as expected. They are also rebuildable, so schedule in every 5-10 years getting new inserts from VT so they're always in top shape.
Interesting point, and I do recall Ship mentioning the added throttle responsiveness. I definitely think its more responsive, almost like a smoother version of a 'sport' button had been turned on. I put another 120miles on it today and noticed even more improvement in overall shifting (especially when downshifting), then I did last night. Its even better than I thought at first.

It improves your connection with the car and makes it easier to drive it a lot more smoothly.

Good to know on the rebuildable part. thanks!
      11-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #68
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar View Post
07119913653 (6 pcs) M8x25 10.9
07119913673 (2 pcs) M8x35 10.9
07119903078 (8 pcs) washers ( by new ones or reuse)
Oddly the long bolts are sold out at bmw europe?!?
Been looking all over for the torque spec on the motorsport 10.9 bolts - anyone have that handy?

thx!
      11-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #69
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Pretty sure it's 24Nm.

That's what I tightened mine to.
I also used Nord-Locks and a drop of assembly oil, per Nord-Lock's recommendation.

There's been much debate on to-lube or not-to-lube.
Season to taste.
      02-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #70
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Reviving this old thread. I purchased the VT mounts back during this group grope, and my impressions were pretty much the same as the others shared - nice improvement in shift feel, negligible (if any) difference in NVH. Overall I was a bit disappointed as there wasn't a whole lot of difference. Then I read a suggestion to pair them with Rogue Engineering tranny mounts. I ordered them soon after but only had them installed about a week ago. At the same time, the trans & diff fluids, which weren't replaced at Inspection II as they should have been, were replaced with Red Line products.

WOW. This is the winning combo! Shifting again improved, overall solidity of the drivetrain improved and can be felt/sensed, and again, virtually no additional NVH. I wholeheartedly recommend the VT/Rogue combo.

Original owner now at 51k miles. My mods are minimal. Bilstein HDs on stock springs at about 40k, CDV removed, Pilot Super Sports (after 2 sets of PS2s), and the mounts. That's it. For me, perfection.
      02-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #71
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Reviving this old thread. I purchased the VT mounts back during this group grope, and my impressions were pretty much the same as the others shared - nice improvement in shift feel, negligible (if any) difference in NVH. Overall I was a bit disappointed as there wasn't a whole lot of difference. Then I read a suggestion to pair them with Rogue Engineering tranny mounts. I ordered them soon after but only had them installed about a week ago. At the same time, the trans & diff fluids, which weren't replaced at Inspection II as they should have been, were replaced with Red Line products.

WOW. This is the winning combo! Shifting again improved, overall solidity of the drivetrain improved and can be felt/sensed, and again, virtually no additional NVH. I wholeheartedly recommend the VT/Rogue combo.

Original owner now at 51k miles. My mods are minimal. Bilstein HDs on stock springs at about 40k, CDV removed, Pilot Super Sports (after 2 sets of PS2s), and the mounts. That's it. For me, perfection.
Great info! Nice to see you on the Z4M forum as well... (will add my ZHP to the garage soon)