ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
jpickeri93420
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MR, '08 Ducati GT1000

Inexpensive Bluetooth Phone Works!

I only have a cell phone to make the occasional call to the wifey and for emergency purposes. Sometime ago I found that Virgin has an account where you are only billed $20 every 3 months. And they gave you a free phone. While the per minute charge is pricey (currently $0.20 a minute though mine is a bit less), it is perfect for me, as I seldom use the phone (have about 7 hours of rollover minutes banked).

Since buying my Z4MR laster September, I have been curious if any of Virgin's phones would work with BMW's bluetooth. Searched wide and far and only read how limited BMW's support is. Virgin recently dropped their price on the Samsung M340 to $20. Seemed like it was worth a shot, so I ordered one, figuring that if it didn't work, at least I has a new phone that took photos (pretty crappy ones though). Got the phone last week and it worked right off. Took a couple of attempts to get it to pair with the car. Don't know what I did right or wrong to get them to pair though.

So the phone works great in hands free mode; the nav display screen even displays the phone's address book. At least part of it. BMW seems to have put a limit on the number of entries.

Bottom line for the rest of you cheapskates ... a bluetooth phone for less than $7 a month.

Cheers, Jim
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
the bluetooth stack is a universal, has nothing to do with the manufacturer or the carrier. It just works!

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
^^^ Although some cheaper phones may have an older version of Bt and may not be compatiable for that reason, that is less common as the time rolls on.

Our cars have been out with BT since at least 2006 so I would hope any phone works with them if it is semi current.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0