ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Soft Top part removal help

Can't seem to find any information on the "windshield frame cover" removal (part# 54317056282). It's the plastic piece/cover at the inside front on the soft top that has a removable part to allow access to the motor. Two pics attached.

The part screws into the top at the front with 4 bolts, with one additional bolt inside the removable motor cover. What I can't tell is how the back attaches. Is it clipped on? Close-ups of the part on ECS show what looks like possible clip attachment points. The plastic has broken in a few places and I'd like to replace this part myself. Thanks for any experience you may have with this!

John
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have since discovered that there are two hidden screws, one on each side that have to be removed. I think it may come off after that....... still wondering if the liner is attached in any way to this part.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

It will. I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. Once you take out the screws across the front, the ones on each side and the one in the cubby hole in the center, it should drop down. Then you'll see a series of small screws that hold the head liner to it. Once you have the screws out there's a plastic strip attached to the head liner that snaps into the center and the ends of of the trim piece and once you manipulate it out the piece comes free. Installation of the new piece is just the reverse.
      11-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
It will. I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. Once you take out the screws across the front, the ones on each side and the one in the cubby hole in the center, it should drop down. Then you'll see a series of small screws that hold the head liner to it. Once you have the screws out there's a plastic strip attached to the head liner that snaps into the center and the ends of of the trim piece and once you manipulate it out the piece comes free. Installation of the new piece is just the reverse.
Thank you good Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar
Appreciate 0