ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
SilentNight
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

It's a year now and the convertible top STILL doesn't work properly!

amazing, just amazing. I'm from Ohio and I bought my 2006 Z4 M Roadster with 5,500 miles on it from Century BMW is South Carolina (which is a horror story in and of itself). When I got the car, the top was down and it was filthy and the convertible top did not work...at all.

So, I took it to the local BMW service center as the car is a CPO. They said water got in the convertible top motor so the motor needed replaced. Which they did. Then, not too long after that it started to go up and down VERY slowly and make a horrible loud noise. Obviously it wasn't working correctly.

So, I took it back in (the closest BMW dealership is 45 minutes away from me) and they said the fluid was depleted due to them putting in the new motor. They said it is a long process to put more fluid in so I would have to come back up to have that done.

Back up I went for the third time and they put the fluid in. I picked up the car and it was raining outside so I didn't check the convertible top but assumed that it would be fine. I should not have assumed.

I got home and after spending several hours cleaning it and detailing it checked the convertible top. Nothing. It doesn't even make a sound like it's trying to work. The red light comes on in the center console but nothing happens....at all. It actually worked when I took it up and now it doesn't even work!

So, I called them and told them the top didn't work. Now...back up it goes to the service department at BMW...again. The FOURTH time for the damn convertible top. I am beyond frustration and at this point am kicking myself in the ass for not getting a Z4M Coupe or better yet, a Porsche Cayman S. I will have used one full tank of premium gas on dealing with this stupid convertible top issue that should never have malfunctioned in the first place and now the car gets dirty again after the long drive up and back to the dealership yet again. I might just be nit picky and bitchy right now but I hate that this issue is just not getting fixed and it's taking so much of my time driving up there to get it worked on.

Just thought I would vent to you all. At what point do I contact BMW NA and complain about this continued issue with the convertible top? Or, do I suck it up and continue fucking around with driving it back and forth constantly getting it worked on?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

The car should not have made CPO with the defective roof.

I think if it's not fixed perfectly this time you should make that call. You also aren't out line for asking for some kind of compensation for your time, gas and inconvenience when it shouldn't have even been that way in the first place, let alone after multiple repairs.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
SilentNight
Private
Rep

I agree. The salesman tried to blame the delivery company. He was the biggest asshole I have ever had the mis-pleasure of dealing with in a big sale. Other than the roof, I do love the car but it is to the point that it isn't worth all the hassle I have had to go through.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear man. Do you have another BMW dealer you can try? At least be thankful you have a warranty.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Little C
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I had similar problems with my e46 M3 vert, and I finally got fed up with it and traded it in for my M coupe with it STIL not working. I was well over $1000 into it and BMW still couldn't diagnose the problem. I have loved BMWs my entire life, but I will NEVER buy another BMW convertible. Too many electronics, sensors, parts, etc. that can go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
Sorry to hear man. Do you have another BMW dealer you can try? At least be thankful you have a warranty.

Chris
nope, the second closest is an hour and a half away. The guys at the dealership I go to are really nice and feel terrible about this so at least they aren't pricks.

I am honestly giving serious thought to trading this car in on a used Lexus IS-F. I know it's a totally different car but those cars are super bad ass looking.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I would drive the car over to them tomorrow morning and tell them you will be back Friday before closing time to colect either the car with the roof working or a suitable replacement Z4M roadster with the roof working.

This is not a POS Dodge - its a BMW, a premium automobile and you deserve having this corrected immediately at this point, especially as the car was purchased CPO.

I think its time for Mr. Nice Guy to go away for a while and get in their face. This is not the remote manipulator arm on the space shuttle for cripe sake - its a convertible top. Options: they should fix it or pull the entire unit (electrics, motor, mechanical etc) and replace with new. Accept nothing less.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I would drive the car over to them tomorrow morning and tell them you will be back Friday before closing time to colect either the car with the roof working or a suitable replacement Z4M roadster with the roof working.

This is not a POS Dodge - its a BMW, a premium automobile and you deserve having this corrected immediately at this point, especially as the car was purchased CPO.

I think its time for Mr. Nice Guy to go away for a while and get in their face. This is not the remote manipulator arm on the space shuttle for cripe sake - its a convertible top. Options: they should fix it or pull the entire unit (electrics, motor, mechanical etc) and replace with new. Accept nothing less.
good advice. The car goes back in this Wednesday. I just can't believe that I took it there and it worked (although it was very slow going up and down due to the low fluid) and when I picked it up, nothing. It doesn't even make a sound. And of course it is FINALLY a beautiful week here in Ohio where I could actually have the top down. This is such a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Have you spoken directly, face-to-face with the general manager of the dealer? I absolutely would demand this and when you ask, if you get anything but "Okay sir, let me get him for you.", I would immediately respond with a very explicit intent to contact BMW-NA about your situation, that you fully intend to go above and beyond if they don't get it right. If you have an appointment, you could call in to speak with the GM ahead of time just to tell him when your appointment is and that you expect to speak with him when you arrive. I had some issues with my CPO '04 M3 - between speaking directly with the GM and with the manager of the shop, they came through and fully rolled out the red carpet for me and my issues. It's clearly been a damned run around for you this entire time. At this point, I'd suggest to them if it means replacing the entire roof system as a whole, they need to just do that at this point because they clearly do not have the know how or expertise to fix the system part by part.

And this time, don't drive it away from the garage without testing the roof at least 2-3 times right in front of the shop manager or the GM.....rain or shine (you can tell them you'll be pulling it in to the shop to test it before you are on your way)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
SilentNight
Private
Rep

car is now in the shop. They came down and dropped off an X3 for me to drive while the Z4 is in the shop (again). Then they drove my Z4 back up to the dealership which is 45 minutes away. The car has now been driving a total of 6 hours to get the convertible top worked on and God know how much gas has been spent driving it back and forth. Not to mention it will certainly come back dirty as they have to drive through amish country to get it back to me.

The more I think about this the more it infuriates me. It has finally been nice out in the miserable, shitty county I live in (which I plan to move away from at the earliest possible time) and I can't drive my convertible I paid $33,000 for a year ago.

This damn top have never worked correctly since the morons at Century BMW in South Carolina sold me the "Certified Pre-Owned" car. What a crock of shit. I am tempted to go ahead and call BMW NA to complain but maybe I should give the manager a call at the dealership here in Ohio and fill him in on this mess before I do. I'm also tempted to send an email to the jack ass that sold me the car at Century BMW (Bill was his name) and tell him what a "joy" I have had this past year with a convertible top that has NEVER worked correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
I hear your pain man, but unfortunately in life sh*t happens. Hopefully they get it fixed this time and you don't have to deal with it ever again.

keep us updated...

(remember life could be a lot worse, i'm not downplaying your situation but try to look at the glass as half full)
      05-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
SilentNight
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
I hear your pain man, but unfortunately in life sh*t happens. Hopefully they get it fixed this time and you don't have to deal with it ever again.

keep us updated...

(remember life could be a lot worse, i'm not downplaying your situation but try to look at the glass as half full)
well said, I actually told my wife last night, at least we have the means to have a Z4 M Roadster that is completely paid off. Even if it means convertible top troubles.

Speaking of which...it is now fixed. I am not joking when I say, this is the first time it has worked properly for the entire year since I bought it. The top goes both up and down smoothly and fast and is very quiet. Before, it would either not work at all or go up and down so slowly I would have to help pull it up or push it down. Otherwise, it wouldn't be able to fully open or close. Plus, it was so loud that it was embarrassing to even try in public.

I told the BMW service guy that delivered the car back to me (another 100 miles put on the car, this time not even by me) that the convertible top has never worked right. He shrugged and mumbled "sorry for the troubles" and hopped in his X3 that was my loaner and took off.

I washed it off (again) as it was dirty from the long drive and now finally, I think my Z4 actually works properly. No joke...one more time with the convertible top and the car gets sold...immediately. I know I've been ranting but I have been trying to keep a cool head about this the whole year it has been not working right. After a while though, you get fed up with an expensive sports car that simply doesn't do what it's supposed to. I bought a BMW Z4 ///M Roadster that was almost $60,000 when new...not a Chrysler Sebring for pete's sake.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

That's great news, I'm glad that you finally get to enjoy your car.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
SilentNight
Private
Rep

I should also add...I had the car stored for the winter so there was about 5 months that it wasn't driven. While the top didn't work properly then either, it wasn't the bother that it has been this spring.

So while I said "full year" I guess it should be more like 7 months it hasn't worked properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

It's working now so go put the top down and enjoy some nice warm rays!

2006 E46 M3, 2004 Jeep Rubicon, 93 Golf VR6
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear it is working.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
That's great to hear, congrats!

I agree, for as much as these cars cost they need to work properly. Unfortunately the majority of dealers simply do not care

Chris
      06-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #18
SilentNight
Private
Rep

guess what, the convertible top is back to not working. Now the car is getting sold. Over a year and multiple trips to the dealership and the damn thing just doesn't work. With a sticker price of $59,000 you would think this wouldn't be the problem that it is. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #19
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

That's a real PITA. I would think it won't be easy to sell with the top not working either.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
SilentNight
Private
Rep

I am actually hoping due to all the crap with the top not working the dealership will buy the car off of me, fix it and sell it. They have a large sign in their service department that states, "We Will Buy Your BMW!"
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I don't see how you can sell it, unless at a great loss. It's CPO--what's the warranty say? Can you lemon it? What legal rights do you have in your state? Given the loss you'll take I'd get some legal advice first. That might cost you some $, but far less than what you get hit with trying to sell a non-functional car.

I know it's hard, but don't let your frustration cost you $. Either they owe you a working car or they make you financially whole. Orherwise CPO is $hit and BMW doesn't honor it's obligations. Get a pit bull and go after them!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #22
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep

I'm sorry to hear you’re still having issues. You say the closest dealership is 45 mins away but how far away is the next closest? Sounds like the 45min away one is incompetent and shouldn't be dealt with further. I'd suggest trying another dealership.

This is the point where I would start contacting BMWNA politely. Don't attack BMWNA when you are mad at a particular dealer for bad work. This may make them defensive and less likely to work with you. Point out to them what you stated to us about how disappointing it is to own your BMW, that you can't enjoy it. Also tell them how you've been forced to put excessive miles on the car attempting to have this issue fixed. Ask them if there are alternative options they can provide you such as having the car transported on trailer to a known reputable dealer that has experience with convertible repair. Good luck!
Appreciate 0