ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #1
TheBobmanNH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Help with Whine

Hi, I have a new to me E85 Z4 convertible (89k miles), and it has a bit of a whine from the engine under acceleration / load. Brought it to a well-reviewed local shop and they "couldn't hear it," which seems crazy -- it's not loud but it's definitely noticeable, even to my damaged 40-something ears.

While I know a general "there's a whine on acceleration" is way too vague to diagnose on the Internet, are there any common things I can look at? It's tough because it won't do it at idle or revving in neutral so I can't just stick my head under the hood.

It's a 5-speed, does it in any gear. Increases in pitch a bit with engine RPMs but not much.

The noise doesn't "bother" me per se, I just don't want to find out it's something serious after it's too late.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheBobmanNH; 06-09-2022 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: mileage
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
Hi, I have a new to me E85 Z4 convertible (89k miles), and it has a bit of a whine from the engine under acceleration / load. Brought it to a well-reviewed local shop and they "couldn't hear it," which seems crazy -- it's not loud but it's definitely noticeable, even to my damaged 40-something ears.

While I know a general "there's a whine on acceleration" is way too vague to diagnose on the Internet, are there any common things I can look at? It's tough because it won't do it at idle or revving in neutral so I can't just stick my head under the hood.

It's a 5-speed, does it in any gear. Increases in pitch a bit with engine RPMs but not much.

The noise doesn't "bother" me per se, I just don't want to find out it's something serious after it's too late.

Thanks!
Could be a number of things.
Obviously rotating when car is moving.
Wheel bearings, rear diff, transmission gears etc are all potentials.
Try and narrow down to a particular area.

I have my engine and trans on solid mounts, so I get feedback through those that is a whine. Possibly your engine or trans mounts are going away.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 08:29 AM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

W(h)ine....

Help with w(h)ine....I suggest a good Cabernet Sauvignon or perhaps a dry Merlot

No vibration(s)?
Have all fluid levels (engine/transmission/differential) been checked?

Suggest using a stethoscope to listen for this noise by touching all surfaces under the hood:
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Last edited by racerbruce; 06-10-2022 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
TheBobmanNH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Help with w(h)ine....I suggest a good Cabernet Sauvignon or perhaps a dry Merlot

No vibration(s)?
Have all fluid levels (engine/transmission/differential) been checked?

Suggest using a stethoscope to listen for this noise by touching all surfaces under the hood:
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64...dDbGljaz10cnVl
I have that very same cheapo stethescope, the issue is that it only happens when driving so it's a little tougher to probe

Thanks though
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
I have that very same cheapo stethescope, the issue is that it only happens when driving so it's a little tougher to probe

Thanks though
Got it.
A thought - although you hear the noise when driving, have you listened via stethoscope to the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, etc, etc.

Fluid levels? Last time fluids were changed?

Is it pronounced enough that you could drive by and someone could listen from the sidewalk?
      07-26-2022, 08:58 PM   #6
Adam_F30
Rep
Drives: Red 2013 328i

If the whine is on acceleration, it may be to a tear in the intake boot or vacuum lines. You didn't mention any codes popping - have you scanned the car yet? I just changed my intake boot after getting some codes showing the engine was running lean. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
I recently replaced the idler pulley, a/c pulley and tensioner in mine. It would whine at a cold start and then go away after a few minutes. Turned out to be the bearings in the idler pulley.

Not exactly the same symptoms as you describe but more food for thought
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0