ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

to transform a car into sometging its not.... is it posable?

so I've been toying with this idea for some time now. And a recent post just reminded me of it.

My queschine is, I've found a scraped 06 Si z4 and I'm wondering if I grabbed the ECU, keys, security box, and ignition, could I put it in my 3.0i and get the SI HP and such, basically tricking my car into thinking its an SI, I've heard of people doing this when converting a dodge neon into an SRT. I have converted my manifold to the 3 stage manifold and just need the programming but the stock "I" ECU can only be programed so much. To get a custom tune is 600 bucks so going this route will be cheaper if possable ....what are your thoughts and if this is double ...... what am I missing and what else would I need.

their both auto's

Thanks guys..

Last edited by -c-; 05-25-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Well, I've had a similar idea for a while, but it involved getting absolutely all the electronics and systems along with the engine. I've talked with the chief mechanic at the dealership and he said that there is not reason it shouldn't work if you get the whole system and engine. I am not sure what will happen if you get the system without the engine though.
      05-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #3
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Why not buy an M to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Sounds like too much work for me. I would just get the active tune and call it a day. Is it proven that your tuned dme will give less output vs an si dme?

Quit with the m comment already....

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

well first an M is not an option as this is my wife’s car and she does not enjoy driving a stick shift. I get to have fun driving it and modding it as well so I am making the most of it.

also with all the added cost over a normal n52 based car I’m not in favor of as well. (gas, parts, insurance)

plus I’m not racing it, just like the extra grunt!

so moving on, I see no reason to need the engine as the engine has no brain it’s just metal and wires, the engine is the same in every way to the SI except the computer, hence why I thought if I just replace the electronic devises then the car will think it’s an SI, not an I and behave as an SI.

if you take all parts that you can swap out and they all match up then technically you can run even tuned SI software getting closer to 270HP
with the lighter engine and such handling could be even better than an M with the proper additions, after all I think they even said the M handled worse than the Si on top gear hence you had to drive hard with the throttle and such. not sure.

so what you guys think, if I grabbed the key's, ignition cylinder, ECU and any other electronic brain and just swap it all you think it would just turn on as its receiving all the same info as if it was back in a SI.

again the engine I have has the SI parts installed just need the computer to think it’s an SI then I can run tuned SI numbers not tuned I numbers that get close to the SI hence making the car faster than a stock SI.

as you guys have noticed, winters here in the north are long and I have no problem messing around with the car as its in storage so this would could be a fun winter project.

is there any reason just taking all the electronics and swapping it over to another car won’t work, even the wiring is the same so I won’t have to rewire anything just plug in the new hardware.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I've replaces all the parts you've mentioned on a 318ti going to an m3 engine, and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS. There's a significant chance it won't plug and play, and your costs will start to go up as shops try to figure it out. Just save up, and get the tune, which from my understanding is proven to work
      05-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

don't miss my post above, since you double posted the same thing. I think even if you get the parts, you still have to get it set up by a computer reset (1 hour of labor)
      05-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yea I know, just looking at the options, i geuss i figure its easier as your messing with the same engine and car and wiring and such vs chaning the wiring to a whole new engine.

if everything is the same in the car except the ECU and key and key cylinder and security box and such then i geuss you could just almost make it plug and play.

now incase it didnt work you could just take it back to stock.

either way it be fun to try. as always if the price is right.

the hard part is coming up with the list of parts that need to be changed, as not sure if its just the ECU and key and security box, unless theirs an ECU for the trans as well.

hmmmmm.

fun to ponder....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks Roffle!

deleted sorry bout that.

yea the 1 hour isnt bad i have a freind on the inside and we can take care of that after hours......hehehe....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
I am starting to get the feeling that most people in this forum don't know how to spell anything else than "why don't you just get an M", "thread fail", and "get an M, end thread" when other people start talking about swapping engines, ECUs, etc. Well ladies and gentlemen M drivers, let me tell you something using some of the words you understand: "Some of us do NOT want to get an M" (if we did, we would have). I do understand that upon reading the words "NOT" and "M" in the same sentence some of you M drivers would faint or go into an uncontrollable rage, but try to keep it together and read on. Some people simply do not want to get an M, either because they do not have the money, or because, as in my case, think that another model would be more practical and comfortable. Those of us, just want to do some mods, I repeat we do NOT want to get Ms no matter what the cost of the mods. And often when we ask for opinions on mods we clearly note that we do not wish to be advised to get Ms. Yet YOU do it anyway. If I had to guess I would say that half the posts in this forum consist of some variation of the phrase "just get an M". For your information, I would put twice as much money towards, for instance, and engine swap rather than buy an M. And I would even try and do it myself, maybe not on my Z4, I could get a 116i and do the engine swap myself, or get a 120i and tune the hell out of it, and I would still not get an M. I just like the idea, try and wrap your heads around the fact that some people prefer to do that rather than go for the M. This is exciting, its different, especially when none have done it since most of you have taken the easy way out and gotten an M.

I am not angry, I am not pointing fingers, but try and use your imaginations outside of the M box once in a while, because when I ask for help in the forum I want opinions and ideas on the tune in question, not advice on getting an M.

Last edited by Arxangel; 05-26-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
I am starting to get the feeling that most people in this forum don't know how to spell anything else than "why don't you just get an M", "thread fail", and "get an M, end thread" when other people start talking about swapping engines, ECUs, etc. Well ladies and gentlemen M drivers, let me tell you something using some of the words you understand: "Some of us do NOT want to get an M" (if we did, we would have). I do understand that upon reading the words "NOT" and "M" in the same sentence some of you M drivers would faint or go into an uncontrollable rage, but try to keep it together and read on. Some people simply do not want to get an M, either because they do not have the money, or because, as in my case, think that another model would be more practical and comfortable. Those of us, just want to do some mods, I repeat we do NOT want to get Ms no matter what the cost of the mods. And often when we ask for opinions on mods we clearly note that we do not wish to be advised to get Ms. Yet YOU do it anyway. If I had to guess I would say that half the posts in this forum consist of some variation of the phrase "just get an M". For your information, I would put twice as much money towards, for instance, and engine swap rather than buy an M. And I would even try and do it myself, maybe not on my Z4, I could get a 116i and do the engine swap myself, or get a 120i and tune the hell out of it, and I would still not get an M. I just like the idea, try and wrap your heads around the fact that some people prefer to do that rather than go for the M. This is exciting, its different, especially when none have done it since most of you have taken the easy way out and gotten an M.

I am not angry, I am not pointing fingers, but try and use your imaginations outside of the M box once in a while, because when I ask for help in the forum I want opinions and ideas on the tune in question, not advice on getting an M.

lol dude you rock!

but on a serious note, I used to see this all the time back on the mini forums, people putting all this money in a non S and people where like what the hell, but some liked the NA engine of the cooper better than the forced induction variant.

to each their own, but I like my "I" and as such want to make it the best "I" it can be, even though it suffers from a multi-personality complex as of yet with SI parts and M parts......but hey it’s fun to make it my own.

and an "M" is not for everyone, had a friend of mine who owns many nice cars and drives an exige on a daily basis drive the "M" and really liked the non "M" way more, I found that interesting, but the he said the non "M" had handling characteristics he liked over the "M" so again to each their own but let’s try to be a fun and informative community that offers help and problem solving in an interesting manner that can help the community grow and become stronger and more knowledgeable about our cars we drive and enjoy not just tell its community members to get a different model car!....

so anybody that has any ideas on a shopping list of what’s needed let me know.

Last edited by -c-; 05-26-2011 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #12
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

I think I've read of at least one guy on the E90 forums successfully turning his 325 into a 330 by basically installing the 330 intake manifold and sending his DME to ESS to have it reflsahed to european specs. I don't see why the same couldn't be done to turn a 3.0i into a 3.0si. I'd imagine it might even be possible to do with the dealer software if you can figure out the software number of a 3.0si's stock tune.

You could probably also do it by grabbing the salvage parts from that 3.0si. You'll need the DME, EWS, and keys at the minimum. You should probably grab the LCM and instrument cluster too, since those modules also store the VIN. If you do swap those components, your VIN and mileage will no longer match your actual car. I'm also not sure how the 3.0si tune would react to not having the 3-stage intake that the real 3.0si's get.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
I think I've read of at least one guy on the E90 forums successfully turning his 325 into a 330 by basically installing the 330 intake manifold and sending his DME to ESS to have it reflsahed to european specs. I don't see why the same couldn't be done to turn a 3.0i into a 3.0si. I'd imagine it might even be possible to do with the dealer software if you can figure out the software number of a 3.0si's stock tune.

You could probably also do it by grabbing the salvage parts from that 3.0si. You'll need the DME, EWS, and keys at the minimum. You should probably grab the LCM and instrument cluster too, since those modules also store the VIN. If you do swap those components, your VIN and mileage will no longer match your actual car. I'm also not sure how the 3.0si tune would react to not having the 3-stage intake that the real 3.0si's get.

Mine already has the 3 stage manifold ...just need the computer programming ....thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #14
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
Why not buy an M to begin with?
Villalona was simply asking a question, not telling the forums that the M is the car for every single person on here. If your goal is M-like power and handling for the lowest price, buying an M from the beginning is the economical option. It's also OEM and maintains resale value. It is what it is. Just like non-M owners get sick of hearing about the M, there are M owners who get tired of reading responses about non-M owners defending their cars like there is a constant ///M-led squad assault with crew-served weapons. "I want an automatic" is a fine answer. "I can't afford it right now" or "I just want a custom car" are also okay. It's a fact that you will get more speed per dollar in the long run by buying an M. That's why he asked. It's not a knock. I liked my 3.0i so much I kept it when I bought an M, because I was too in love to let it go.

If it was me, I would get the AA tune. I've been more than thrilled with my tune. You'll get more power out of it than a stock 3.0si tune. With limited aftermarket options for the 3.0si, I would go all-out each step along the way so that you don't end up wanting a little bit more later. If headers are a possibility in the future, I would definitely get the AA tune now. Good luck and keep us posted!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0