ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Cool Custom Performance Innovations Stepped Headers - Review + Pics!

The fit and finish of these headers exceeded my expectations. Happy customer? You bet! So happy, in fact, I wanted to share the results with the community. Figured my Z4M brethren should know about this option as well, not all the fun should be saved for the M3 guys I am not an engineer nor a certified mechanic, but I'll give my feedback from an average enthusiast's point of view.

Seeing as great gains can be had with headers, the time came and after perusing a number of threads here, I decided to go where most of the S54 owners hang out - m3forum.net. After researching quite a bit, I decided to try something a little different from most ZPosters and go with the Custom Performance Innovations stepped headers. Seems everyone LOVED their SS stepped V2's but I really wanted to go with a more cost effective option without sacrificing a great design.

While CPI is somewhat lesser known than many of the other brands out there, my decision boiled down to a number of reasons (AKA rationalization to spend more $ on the Z ):

-Performance. The CPI headers have gone through dyno testing with proven gains.

-Durability. The CPI headers have been put through true race testing on an endurance race E46 M3.

-Design. The CPI headers are an equal length, 'stepped' design, similar to SS V2 but with it's own improvements/unique aspects.

-Quality. Based on photos, the CPI headers seemed to have great construction. Stainless steel, TIG welded.

-Price. $1200 shipped sure beats SS V2 @ $2800

-CPI works closely with the S54 community over at M3forum.net. Generally I prefer to purchase from vendors that associate with the community as I've found they often have better developed products due to direct public feedback from community. In this case, CPI had told me at least one non-M3 S54 cars had installed the headers with success but offered assistance should I run into issues.

Time for install. I must praise Bill from http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWZ4MS...stallation.htm. This man is a lifesaver with this amazing DIY. However, a few things he shows made me a little wary (o2 bung location, clearance, etc.). There was not one clearance issue, the headers installed FLAWLESSLY. No hammering with a mallet, no 'too close for comfort' areas, no problems. The ONLY thing that did catch me off guard was the fact the flanges on the CPI headers were noticeably thicker than OE on the head side. This prevented the studs from passing through as far as with OE header, though a more-than-sufficient amount cleared. There's probably a reason for this (strength?) but I've never worked with S54 headers before so can't say if other designs are the same. Once the install was complete, my buddies and I admired our work and (sadly) put the heat shield back on, covering the lovely piping.

Like a total plonk I did not dyno before, nor do I have a baseline dyno with OE headers. Kicking myself for that, but was just too excited not to install. However, the butt dyno is thoroughly satisfied. And now, on to the best part, photos

CPI VS OE:

Details:

Installed Clearances:

And a shot of the car they went on, just because

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Those welds look legit! Congrats, car looks great
      10-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Nice man! those are some sick pics. Especially the last one.

One thing I'm curious about now are how they are compared with the euro spec headers. The price between this and the euro ones are pretty close. Would be nice to see a price vs quality vs performance.

Didn't you have to relocate the O2 sensor?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

Pretty interesting. I was pretty much having SS stepped V2 headers above all others header brands as my one next investment but this might be another way to go since you saying is pretty similar to the amazing V2 SS ones and price is reasonable. Have you change ur S pipe ? x pipe? ( think u did saw a pic in ur other treat), mufflers??
What did you do with ur o2 sensors?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz View Post
Nice man! those are some sick pics. Especially the last one.

One thing I'm curious about now are how they are compared with the euro spec headers. The price between this and the euro ones are pretty close. Would be nice to see a price vs quality vs performance.

Didn't you have to relocate the O2 sensor?
These should outperform the Euro Headers. The Euro headers are nice, and high quality as they're OEM, but the collector is located very high and the piping is not 'stepped' such as the CPI headers/Super Sprint stepped headers. Furthermore, the piping diameter differs, as well as length - the Euro headers are more of 'shorty' headers while the Super Spring V2 and CPI are more of 'long tube' headers. Don't know if that's technically correct, but just an observation. Here is a link to details on the CPI headers and what makes them 'better' than the rest. No way to really tell what the 'best' option is without a side-by-side comparison of all options but all fingers point to the CPI headers being a great bet in terms of performance, cost, and quality.

Here's a pic of the Euro headers for comparo. Notice how high the 3 tubes collect to one compared to the CPI headers:

I didn't relocate the o2's. Currently have the SES on right now. CPI also offers a section 1 with optional cats or resonators which is also widely popular in the E46 M3 scene. Not sure if they have the option to have the o2 bungs positioned similar to the Euro cats but I'm probably going to go this route when the time comes, rather than relocate in my stock section 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLCZ4M View Post
Pretty interesting. I was pretty much having SS stepped V2 headers above all others header brands as my one next investment but this might be another way to go since you saying is pretty similar to the amazing V2 SS ones and price is reasonable. Have you change ur S pipe ? x pipe? ( think u did saw a pic in ur other treat), mufflers??
What did you do with ur o2 sensors?
Lots of good info on CPI's page about the headers and why they're on par with, if not better than, the SS V2's -> http://www.custom-performance.net/pr...idproduct=1536 I don't know if that's entirely true but there is a large attention to detail behind these headers which, given the cost of these Vs the rest, made it a no-brainer to me. They're also claiming this header nets the most torque of all the S54 header options. Not sure if that can be verified but the car certainly does feel good!

I do have the Rogue Engineering X-pipe but stock section 1 right now. Might try to see if CPI can make a section 1 similar to the Euro spec though. o2 sensors are plugged in as normal, SES light firmly on

BTW, I didn't realize there was a Black Friday special on these next month, $1k shipped... http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...462891&page=65 Still no regrets on getting these on the car now though

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

i have these headers on the car currently and i am a fan of them as well
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

quality looks good. butt dyno can confirm some power gains?
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
dorifto88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
quality looks good. butt dyno can confirm some power gains?
id imagine so. i switched from jvt headers and felt some more down low torque
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
Lots of good info on CPI's page about the headers and why they're on par with, if not better than, the SS V2's -> http://www.custom-performance.net/pr...idproduct=1536 I don't know if that's entirely true but there is a large attention to detail behind these headers which, given the cost of these Vs the rest, made it a no-brainer to me. They're also claiming this header nets the most torque of all the S54 header options. Not sure if that can be verified but the car certainly does feel good!

I do have the Rogue Engineering X-pipe but stock section 1 right now. Might try to see if CPI can make a section 1 similar to the Euro spec though. o2 sensors are plugged in as normal, SES light firmly on

BTW, I didn't realize there was a Black Friday special on these next month, $1k shipped... http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...462891&page=65 Still no regrets on getting these on the car now though
Very interesting... Thanks! yea Im do research about this nice steeped headers. Hope to save by next month is just not so easy been a college student and car not pay off yet.
I do hope I could relocated my 02 sensors in my DKF section 1 although I do like my DKF sec one cat-less but this is California -_- sooo... xD might have to switch cats in my DKF.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Nice, excellent write-up. Craftsmanship on the CPI headers looks
      10-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

I feel ya, I'm SoCal too. Now I'm looking for an aftermarket Section 1 to help when smog time comes haha

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

No dyno? I am a bit skeptical (and everyone else should be too) without one.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #13
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
There is an E46 M3 dyno floating around out there. If you can wait long enough, I'll be posting a dyno too. Mine has to include a new tune, since a retune is required when you make hardware changes with alpha-n tuning. I would be shocked if you didn't see at least 15 whp on an otherwise stock car, since you are eliminating the primary cats and the piping looks to be close to equal length.

I still have a few things to work out - logistics of the before and after dyno, and how I'm actually going to get the headers installed.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
dorifto88
Major
Rep

I'll get on the dyno hopefully within the month, cars in the shop and I still have to load setup Frank's tune
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
If you've got the time, here are 66 pages to sift through but I strongly recommend taking some of the points with a grain of salt until you've read through the entire thing. CPI actually addresses the dyno question on the last page -> http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=462891 Jack is a great guy so I'm sure he'd be happy to address any other questions you (or anyone else out there) may have.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
I'll get on the dyno hopefully within the month, cars in the shop and I still have to load setup Frank's tune
Time is running out before the end of the month my friend I'm curious to see how the TTFS tune does. Has anyone else successfully run one of his tunes on the Z4M DME?

In case anyone happens to be on the fence this weekend it looks like CPI is running a Black Friday / Cyber Monday special, they're shipping for under $1k right now. http://www.custom-performance.net/pr...idcategory=596

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Any updates. My dumb ass is going to have to buy a new set of headers and will likely be going with CPI and a custom Dyno tune from frank
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #18
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
Any updates. My dumb ass is going to have to buy a new set of headers and will likely be going with CPI and a custom Dyno tune from frank
Your dumb ass? Haha, what happened?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #19
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
Your dumb ass? Haha, what happened?
I was basically given eBay brand headers and no surprise, they didn't fit. So I picked up some OEM euro and finished the install. Now just to talk to frank smith in the spring to tune!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #20
OptionlessM
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Does CPI offer a direct replacement for the section 1 on Z4M similar to the one they offer for E46 M3.

I would like to do these stepped headers plus a resonated section 1.

No cats. Need to warm the globe for the poor east coast.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #21
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
No, but DKF does. DKF's is a stepped section 1 too.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
OptionlessM
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Where does DKF sell their section 1? google isn't giving me much other than threads on here.
Appreciate 0