ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
sl03
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Need some opinion on this potential set up..

I am most likely going to order a custom exhaust from near by performance shop. Down pipe with cat back exhaust, 2.5" piping. Anybody know if there is going to be a lot of back pressure with this set up, my friends have mentioned the possibility of valves being burnt on some exhaust set ups.. I'm just a little confused at this point and need some advice!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Gallardo Rosso
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

You sound confused and seem like you could use a little advise...

Your description is quite vague on the system you want to build. What is your goal? Max power? sound quality? Weight? Is emissions legality a concern? Price?

There are pre made parts available to simply bolt on or modify slightly to achieve your goals
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
sl03
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo Rosso
You sound confused and seem like you could use a little advise...

Your description is quite vague on the system you want to build. What is your goal? Max power? sound quality? Weight? Is emissions legality a concern? Price?

There are pre made parts available to simply bolt on or modify slightly to achieve your goals
Price and emissions I'm not worried about, I'll just put the stock cat back on once it's time for that. I'm looking towards something that will sound loud and give a little more power. I went to a performance shop where they can build parts according to your specifications. A few friends told me to do a cat back exhaust, and then add a down pipe as well. I'm curious to know how well that would work out on my car as far as back pressure and if it would burn out my valves? (People kept telling me to find out if a set up like that would be harsh on my valves and if it will create a lot of back pressure) some of them had issues with that, they drive the AP1 S2000's. I hope that made a little more sense!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

You need to swap to catless header for power gain. Cat back exhaust will not do much.
Appreciate 0