ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Dave,

John Fitch was indeed a great man--and very modest and self-effacing at the same time. I'm honored to have known him. I'm in the midst of rereading his autobiography, and it's astonishing how successful he was.

For example: On his first trip to the famous Nurburgring racetrack, he entered a special race for factory-stock Porsche 356's. He was up against 40 other drivers, almost all of them Germans with substantial experience at the 'Ring. John Fitch finished fourth in the race!! That sort of result is unheard of and speaks volumes about his racing talent.

When my wife and I visited with John and Elizabeth at their home in Connecticut, I asked John what ever happened to the Fitch Phoenix that he designed and built. (Full-scale production was planned, but the introduction of safety and emission regulations put an abrupt end to this endeavor, and only the one prototype was ever built.) John said it was in his shed and promptly led me down his back yard and pulled the cover off to show it to me.

What a great guy.

Rick
I remember being fascinated with stories of him in Road & Track. He made the world much more interesting for me!

DaveL

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Do I remember right? I believe that R&T had an article about the Phoenix.

Tire humps. Great idea.
My last MX5, our M3/cab, and now our C4S have all been city cars. No spares. A can of fix-a-flat, or a compressor and prayer that they might stay inflated! Bah, humbug.

A fellow posted on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board that he rounded a corner and found a rock slide on a canyon road. And no cell signal. On vacation. Hiked out until the phone worked. Porsche dealer flat bedded the Boxster out. He flew home. When they found a new rim and tire for the car, he flew back and drove it home. Took a while.

Stuff happens.

Love the Fitch- Phoenix story!

(Enjoy MacK's book!)

Dave

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0