ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #23
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceninja View Post
I'm sure the exhaust sounds great
Incorrect, sir, the OEM exhaust does not sound great. It sounds like a Toyota Camry. I swapped out the exhaust for an RPI set up, which really makes it sound like an aggressive car. Everyone has their opinion on what type of exhaust sounds best, and there are some great threads with YouTube video samples, Excel spreadsheets with variables such as drone sound, decibel levels, etc. But trust me, the stock exhaust will need to go quickly. (Same for the wheels IMHO, but that's another topic.)

Ironically I just took my '07 M into the stealership for an oil change on Saturday and they discovered a very small, slow leak in the right rear differential. Repair estimate...$850. I am not very mechanically inclined so I'll need to have a shop do the work; will ask around for estimates and also do some research on this forum to see what others have paid. Just thought I'd share this since I said all my M has needed so far is oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #24
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

You may want to consider a 3.0si instead of the M. It has much the same horsepower and torque than the M at lower RPMs below 4500 which is where most of the daily driving occurs. It's lighter too and nearly as fast. Car and Driver has it at 5.1 0-60. It doesn't have a huge battery taking up much of the trunk space. It's much cheaper to maintain as far as parts and maintenance and doesn't require valve adjustments. It gets much better gas mileage. No, the stereo is not great but it's tolerable. And it's a bit stiff on long drives. But if you swap the run flats out, it's a much better ride I'm told. I have newer generation run flats and don't mind the ride. It's also much cheaper to purchase outright. I used the money saved to purchase an Eisenman exhaust. Although the stock exhaust sounds great in my opinion too. It also has a sound generator which pipes engine intake noise into the cabin that sounds fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, the M is fantastic. That bespoke motor is legendary. It loves to rev. If money is no object (more to purchase, more to maintain, more to drive gas wise, more to insure I imagine) and luggage space is no biggie to you, then go for the M. It's a collectible car that may hold its value better. Driving the crap out of it everyday and putting a ton of miles... Idk. The 3.0si may suite those needs better.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #25
Patrick Gent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I have a 2007 M Coupe, daily driver, bought with 30,00 miles, have about 82,000 now 4 years later. I had a complete Vanos failure (not sure exactly what failed), was covered under CPO. Also alternator went, took out the battery (I had to pay for the battery) and the Nav has never been right since.

If you are buying a daily driver, I would go CPO and buy the maintenance to 100,000 miles if they don't give that to you. Then get Mike Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule from BMW CCA (car club of America) and follow it. 15,000 mile oil changes are ridiculous on this motor if you want it to live over 100,000 miles. You will just have to do or pay for the interim oil changes.

Research the connecting rod issues on this forum, on Bimmerfest and on
bimmerpost. The S54 does have a problem with the connecting rod to crankshaft bearing wearing out--you monitor by sending an oil sample to Blackstone labs with every oil change. But the fix, if you encounter the problem, is about $1500 or a little less from an independent. Part of the cost of owning this car.

That said, I will own, and pay to maintain, this car forever. Unlikely that BMW will come up with a similar car again, maintenance on a Porsche makes this look cheap, and it is fantastic to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
Patrick Gent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel@forgemotorsport.com View Post
Agreed. 80 bucks every 5k for oil
Where do you get oil (and, I presume, filter) for 80 bucks? I have searched and searched, best I could do was $106 and free shipping at Silver Spring.
Appreciate 0