ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Car overheated after Dealer performed coolant flush

Hello guys, i need some advices. My brother-in-law brought his 328i to the dealer to have the coolant system flush done. The car was got overheated and put on Limp Mode after a week. I was suspecting they screwed up the coolant service and left air bubbles in the coolant system which caused overheat and damaged to the water pump and Thermostat. We brought it back to the Dealer and they confirmed the Water Pump and Thermostate needed to be replaced. However, they denied responsibilities and said we have to pay to get it fixed.
We are trying to get them to own up to it and take care of the problems and now they said we will have to wait til monday for the Service Department Manager to make the decision.

What do you guys think? What are our options?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Did anyone check the coolant level after the overheat issue, before returning it to dealer? If not you have no way of proving that they left air in system. Sometimes things just break at the most suspicious or worst times.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
That is a good suggestion! We did not check the fluid level. However, i dont think fluid level would tell us too much (unless it is very very LOW). From what we read on other Bimmer forums, it didnt take much air trapped in the coolant loop to cause overheat and lot of damage. The 328i has electric water pump and has very specific procedures for bleeding/venting after coolant flush.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24818
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

I'd raise hell. Ask for the GM and/or email corporate, and post it on the dealerships facebook page as well. It was working fine before the service and it goes out right after the flush? I call bullshit. I get that things break down, but c'mon, right after you take it in for service? screw that, I'd be livid.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

they are common to be fail after 50K miles. Just something to bear in mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
I'd raise hell. Ask for the GM and/or email corporate, and post it on the dealerships facebook page as well. It was working fine before the service and it goes out right after the flush? I call bullshit. I get that things break down, but c'mon, right after you take it in for service? screw that, I'd be livid.
judge Judy doesn't believe in coincidences either lol

Which dealer was this at?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
they are common to be fail after 50K miles. Just something to bear in mind.
I know things could fail at anytime but come on, it was working perfectly fine until they flushed the coolant!
We are waiting to have a serious conversation with the GM tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Which dealer was this at?
The one in the East bay!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Please keep us posted on the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Hold on, a week passed between when you got the car back and it overheated? How many hours/miles was the car used during that week and was it put into a situation previously during that week where it might have overheated (stuck in traffic or high outside temperature)?

If the dealer screwed up the coolant service, my thought is that it would have failed earlier in the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Hold on, a week passed between when you got the car back and it overheated? How many hours/miles was the car used during that week and was it put into a situation previously during that week where it might have overheated (stuck in traffic or high outside temperature)?

If the dealer screwed up the coolant service, my thought is that it would have failed earlier in the week.
Great question! We would not even bother the dealer if that was the case. He drove for maybe 50 miles for couple days (mostly on highway with light traffic). The car overheated when he was in city traffic; ambient temp was in the 50s.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
If there was air in the system the car would have overheated in a matter of minutes of driving it, just sitting and idling it would take conciderably longer but driving of any type would cause and overheat situation probably in just one or two miles. If your car experienced vapor lock there is no way you would drive 50 miles before overheating unless you did it in 1 mile increments. It happened to my Z4 in December when I had the system flushed. The temp gauge pinned to the right and a red idiot light came on, I shut it off waited ten minutes and the air bubble moved, the temp went down immediately and the radiator was down about a half gallon, refilled it and no problem after that. The water pump did fail suddenly a year and a half ago at about 80K the car had 100k when I had the system flushed. At that time the car overheated within a half mile of the pump going.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #13
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
If there was air in the system the car would have overheated in a matter of minutes of driving it, just sitting and idling it would take conciderably longer but driving of any type would cause and overheat situation probably in just one or two miles. If your car experienced vapor lock there is no way you would drive 50 miles before overheating unless you did it in 1 mile increments. It happened to my Z4 in December when I had the system flushed. The temp gauge pinned to the right and a red idiot light came on, I shut it off waited ten minutes and the air bubble moved, the temp went down immediately and the radiator was down about a half gallon, refilled it and no problem after that. The water pump did fail suddenly a year and a half ago at about 80K the car had 100k when I had the system flushed. At that time the car overheated within a half mile of the pump going.
Appreciated the input but the two cars have different type of water pump. The e92 has electric water pump and the procedure specifically called for having the pump running fora full 12 minutes to purge. The dealer admitted that they used vacuum system to purge it instead.
Anyhow, seeing that is possible that the water pump could have fail on its own and will need to be replaced anyhow. We agreed to pay for the parts and the dealer provide free labor. The bill came out to $656! We thought that was fair and dont want to drag it out any longer. Needless to say, we wont coming to that shop anymore.
Thanks everyone for the inputs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Pretty gracious of you to accept that compromise I think. Thanks for warning us about that dealership, I'm hoping to move out there soon and I'm really bummed that I'm going to lose my absolutely stellar indy mechanic here in PA. He's probably the only mechanic I've ever trusted enough to preauthorize work without cost estimates.
Appreciate 0