ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
falkman
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Battery Compartment

Heya, I've got (and fixed with a new roof) that dreaded leak into my trunk and I have quite a bit of water pooled in the battery compartment. I'm wondering if the bottom of the battery compartment is what you see below the car in the back, and thus if I can drill a small little hole and put a one way valve in there to prevent water from pooling if my trunk leaks again in the future. The water pooling up burned out my amp, so I just want to prevent that from happening again.

I know it's a bit crude, but hey, it's a free way of preventing the water from pooling again (which it probably will within the next few years).

-B
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

If you put a new roof on and that was the issue why would you assume it will happen again so soon? That being said your idea sounds like a good one to allow any water that gets in there to drain out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
falkman
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

I'm just being extra paranoid.

Can anyone confirm that the box doesn't have anything below it that I need to avoid? I plan on drilling a hole in the back right corner of the box.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkman View Post
I'm just being extra paranoid.

Can anyone confirm that the box doesn't have anything below it that I need to avoid? I plan on drilling a hole in the back right corner of the box.
drilling a hole will just cause moisture and or tiny bugs to crawl into that closed space. Its not like a regular car where the air space is more open. I'm just guessing though.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
drilling a hole will just cause moisture and or tiny bugs to crawl into that closed space. Its not like a regular car where the air space is more open. I'm just guessing though.

That is why he is putting a one way valve in the hole he drills...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

the bottom is exposed on the bottom of the car, should be obvious. Can't recall if there are any obstructions below but it should be obvious. I drilled a hole somewhere in mine for a new battery bracket for a lightweight battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

My HiFi amp fried from taking a bath in the battery compartment.
I can confirm if you drill a couple of holes in the plastic battery box you will not hit anything when you break thru on the underside.
A couple of 1/4" holes won,t let in much if any water and if it does it will weep right back out.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0