ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #23
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
O-cha's gauge mount does look good, conventional or electronic. This is something that I've wanted to do for a while and just haven't gotten around to it. I even acquired an extra ashtray to mod.

Maybe if enough people got in on a group buy, O-cha could do a large enough run to bring the price down. How bout it O-cha?
I've said I'd do it with interest. Even offered to do a complete "plug and play" set with professionally loomed wiring and OEM connectors and pins, but there wasn't enough interest.

The gauges are VEI gauges by the way, They have a bargraph display as well.
      05-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #24
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Thanks for the gauge info, O-Cha (and others).

And generally speaking, thanks for the input so far, guys. Fantastic ideas I had not considered.

I am going to contact the mirror guy because, quite frankly, that's the perfect solution for me, assuming it doesn't cost me my ass. The mounting solution has to be semi-reasonable, although I am well aware that I'll end up getting what I pay for in most cases. If I can swing it...

Totally willing to go a week or two without a rear-view mirror. Might be able to find one on craigslist or something if I decide to go that route (which is, essentially, pending only price).

The sunglasses holder idea is still a solid one, I think, especially if someone has a form made. With that, you can just send it around the boards to anyone who wants it, and any competent fiberglass or carbon purveyor can use the existing form to do a one-off for a reasonable cost.

The heavy lifting is the form. If I end up going that route, I'll be sure that my purchase agreement includes the form. Then I can just share it as needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #25
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Looks like another route may be developing using the NAV screen. Link.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #26
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Looks like another route may be developing using the NAV screen. Link.
I don't believe they're using the OEM Screen, but rather placing ProEFI's display unit in the location that was once taken up by the factory pop-up nav.
      05-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
I don't believe they're using the OEM Screen, but rather placing ProEFI's display unit in the location that was once taken up by the factory pop-up nav.
Ah, that would be more pricey than the other options Bookdock is looking at. Still interesting, and if you're going FI, probably something to consider at least or research more.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

The nav screen was the first thing I thought of, but I'm not technically inclined. I can install sensors and gauges, but once it gets into coding and hooking up laptops and what-not, I'm as lost as a salmon in the Sahara.

I'm going to try and call the rearview retrofit guy this week. I need to get time is all. And if the price blows me out of the water, I'll fall back on my original idea.
Appreciate 0