ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Short Stint Roadster Tests M/Si

Thanks Autoweek!

M- Roadster: SPECS
AS-TESTED PRICE: $59,450
Drivetrain: 3.2-liter I6; rwd, six-speed manual
OUTPUT: 330 hp @ 7900 rpm, 262 lb-ft @ 4900 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 3197 lb
FUEL ECONOMY (EPA): 19 mpg
OPTIONS: Premium package, including auto-dimming mirrors, power front seats, cruise control, BMW assist, premium sound ($2,850); navigation system ($1,800); heated front seats ($500); HD radio ($350); hardtop prep ($75)

OUR TAKE: Chris Bangle’s design vision has been controversial, but if his leadership creates something that looks like this, we figure he’s on the right path.

Throw in the M parts--shifter, steering, handling--and what’s not to like? The car is compact yet feels beefy. It is an environment built for fun. The seats lock you in while you work the nice, fat steering wheel and positive-action shifter while stomping out a tap rhythm on the pedals as its high-revving inline-six freaks toward redline, then drops off as you heel-and-toe for the next corner.

Sensational fun.

The bigger question is: Would you drop 60 grand to put this in the driveway or opt for the immediate response of a torquey engine like the Corvette’s? It’s a toughie. This BMW accelerates with a high-rpm surge- -and it doesn’t take long to build--but it does give you the biggest thrill, accelerating most rapidly after you’ve already reached into the “You’re gonna get a ticket” zone rather than before. But then, it’s a lot more compact and tidy on the narrow, two-lane, wring-it-out routes favored by bikers than a Vette could manage

SI-Roadster: As-tested price: $49,225
Drivetrain: 3.0-liter I6; RWD, six-speed manual
Output: 255 hp @ 6,600 rpm, 220 lb-ft @ 2,750 rpm
Curb weight: 3,086 lb
Fuel economy (EPA/AW): 21/24.9 mpg
Options: Premium package including fully automatic soft top, auto-dimming mirrors, power front seats, BMW assist ($2,750); sport package including 18-inch wheels with performance tires, sport suspension ($1,200); xenon headlights ($700); heated front seats ($500); Montego Blue Metallic ($475); HD radio ($350); hardtop preparation ($75)

OUR TAKE: Great chassis, great engine, great roadster. Yes, the Z4 is holding up quite well nearly six years since its launch. Punch that sport button and hold on, because the steering is quick, the sport suspension tight and the balance spot-on for aggressive street driving.

The cabin is a little tight, with very minimal storage spots, but it's built well and features quality materials you expect to see in a luxury roadster. The cupholders, which slide out from the dash, are a particular weak point, and the seats would benefit from some additional side bolster to hold occupants in place during hard driving.

The clutch take-up and slick shifter action are highlights of an all-around great driving feel, along with the direct and weighty steering feel. There isn't much to complain about with the Z4 when it comes to driving, but with a replacement not too far out, we might hold off on buying this car until some decent deals pop up. That has nothing to do with the performance, which we suspect will satisfy drivers five or even 10 years down the line. Listening to the straight-six rev hard, banging through the snappy gearbox on the way to redline in each gear with the top down, you realize there are few better ways to spend a warm, sunny night during summer's dying days.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
jarrow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2004 z4 3.0i  [2.00]
If that is a recent article then why bother to print it because production has ended. Interesting read though.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrow View Post
If that is a recent article then why bother to print it because production has ended. Interesting read though.
Quote:
but with a replacement not too far out, we might hold off on buying this car until some decent deals pop up. That has nothing to do with the performance, which we suspect will satisfy drivers five or even 10 years down the line.
I suspect they wanted to give their opinion on the car. I doubt the only reviews they do are of brand new cars.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Both cars were '08.
Appreciate 0