ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
bbiess
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Ebay Diagnostic Cable?

Has anyone used an OBDC to USB cable sold on places like eBay? I'd like the ability to pull engine codes and do some minor reprogramming and at $40 including the necessary PC app it seems like a no-brainer...assuming it works.

Good to have? Waste of money??
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Check xcar360. I got the cable from them. You can do some programming too. Search for BMW Scanner 1.4.0 / Car Diagnostic Interface Tool Code Reader for BMW Scanner 1.4.0 Version. It was $32 when I purchased it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Just bought THIS one off eBay.

Another forum member has the same one and they reported it works very well.

Will let you know more when I do.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Buy the one RobMCoupe said or any BMW Scanner that uses V1.4.0 software from China.

Using an OBD-II scanner with the OEM BMW software program tools is a total Head F@#k of massive proportions.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Buy the one RobMCoupe said or any BMW Scanner that uses V1.4.0 software from China.

Using an OBD-II scanner with the OEM BMW software program tools is a total Head F@#k of massive proportions.
Sound advice.

Were you able to get the one you bought up and running? Those who have got the software itself running are using tech professionals, so if you did get it to run, props. But using it, after it's installed, is another story as well. There are forums developed to that proposition exclusively.

I went the V1.4.0 route myself. Doesn't do everything, but it was a simple driver install (copy the file to disk) and then connect the cable, and bang, it works. I runs diagnostics, reports faults, clears codes, allows for basic programming features, and can code new modules (assuming your brave enough to try that).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Sound advice.

Were you able to get the one you bought up and running? Those who have got the software itself running are using tech professionals, so if you did get it to run, props. But using it, after it's installed, is another story as well. There are forums developed to that proposition exclusively.

I went the V1.4.0 route myself. Doesn't do everything, but it was a simple driver install (copy the file to disk) and then connect the cable, and bang, it works. I runs diagnostics, reports faults, clears codes, allows for basic programming features, and can code new modules (assuming your brave enough to try that).
Yes, I followed the instructions and it took about six hours to get the software package installed. Having to install VMWARE Workstation first has it’s own set of complications that I never wanted to be involved in. Never the less it worked abet with many associated complications along the long and winding way.

INPA and EDIABAS and DIS were all running. However, there were not at all as intuitive to operate as I had hoped for. I finally got everything installed after 6+ hrs of torment only to find the package was largely unusable with my level of programming knowledge. The online forums devoted to these areas of expertise I have concluded to be frequented by some of the biggest bunch of conceited and unhelpful Pricks on the face of this Earth that after reading a few introductory posts I was permanently turned off without even registering to ask a simple question that others have been more or less bitch slapped for their troubles.

I guess I expected that being official BMW programs they would be ‘better’ than others which indeed they may well be but certainly not easier to use for the average BMW enthusiast than 1.4.0 looks to be.

Have ordered 1.4.0 and I will report back once installed.

Even though it may not do everything, neither does my girlfriend which at the end of the day is no big deal as long as the main functions work A-OK.

I am only looking for basic coding functions and fault reading ability which I guess 1.4.0 will be much better suited to my needs.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

+1 for PA Soft 1.4 Simple to install - relatively simple to use, & CHEAP!!!!
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Even though it may not do everything, neither does my girlfriend which at the end of the day is no big deal as long as the main functions work A-OK.
Funniest thing I've read all week!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Hi, any update on this? People on E46fanatics have been reporting mixed successes with the 1.40 tool. Also, is the total price $50+ including shipping?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Still waiting on mine.

China Post is F'N slow.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I bought one and covered it in this thread.
Definitely got my money's worth for $43, but the software install isn't for the uninitiated.
Haven't gotten around to another try to get NCSExpert to run under 64-bit Windows 7. Microsoft has an XP virtual machine for 64-bit Win 7 that should do the trick.
So many gadgets, so little time.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I bought one and covered it in this thread.
Definitely got my money's worth for $43, but the software install isn't for the uninitiated.
Haven't gotten around to another try to get NCSExpert to run under 64-bit Windows 7. Microsoft has an XP virtual machine for 64-bit Win 7 that should do the trick.
So many gadgets, so little time.
StickMon, I read your other threads. Seems like $43 is a great deal. Will this allow me to change settings like the auto-lock (when you start driving)? I guess there are a bunch of "preference" things that the dealer can code for you, but I can't stand the dealership here in town and it would be extra satisfying if I could circumvent them.

I'm computer literate and have a bunch of Windows XP laptops lying around, so unless the software is completely terrible, I like the challenge.

Having said that, is it possible to completely goober something up with this??
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

The cables typically come with 2 programs to change settings, Progman (a.k.a. SSS) and NCSExpert.
Progman is very user friendly, and I think only lets you into a safe subset of things you can tweak. Auto locks may have been in there.
NCSExpert allows you to tweak a wider range of options, and I've heard you can muck things up if you're not careful, but I imagine you would have to be pretty reckless.
Then again if it turns out to be in all German ... Like I said, I haven't gotten around to getting it running yet.
The DIS and INPA diagnostic programs are hours of fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
Will this allow me to change settings like the auto-lock (when you start driving)?
You can turn auto lock on or off with Progman. I think I read somewhere that NCSExpert will let you set the exact speed that it locks at, but I may be hallucinating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #15
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
It says only up to 2007 models. i assume it would work for a 2008?
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Finally received the BMW Scanner off eBay and am running V1.4.0.9 with great success.

Overall I am very happy with this program and Scanner.

I was a little pissed off I had to search for a fix and then solder pins 1-2 and 7-8 before all functions were working on the coding side of things.

As if the people who made this Scanner couldn't have done that.

I have been able to read all fault codes and change to auto door locking, and a few other small things.

I have yet to be able to remove the 'Nav Accept' Nag Screen with this program, so if anybody knows how please chip in.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

You need to update your Nav firmware to V31. See this thread.

Haha. Now that I re-read that thread, I realize I did this:

On the MKIV systems, if you do the upgrade and then install an older software version (such as going from V23 down to V22.1 and then back to V23) , the navigation system may reset out of USA mode and put you into UK mode. You will know this has happened if you are now receiving directions in yards instead of feet and the "Emergency" option has disappeared from your main menu. The advantage of this is that you no longer have the annoying "Accept" screen to hassle with every time you turn on the car. To fix this, the dealer can hook the car up to their computer and reset the navigation system to "USA".

Actually I prefer yards, but I wonder if this is also the reason my Nav seems to have a weak concept of cities. I'll have to check this weekend and see if I can find this UK/USA switch in Progman.

Last edited by StickMon; 09-05-2012 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #18
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
You need to update your Nav firmware to V31. See this thread.

Haha. Now that I re-read that thread, I realize I did this:

On the MKIV systems, if you do the upgrade and then install an older software version (such as going from V23 down to V22.1 and then back to V23) , the navigation system may reset out of USA mode and put you into UK mode. You will know this has happened if you are now receiving directions in yards instead of feet and the "Emergency" option has disappeared from your main menu. The advantage of this is that you no longer have the annoying "Accept" screen to hassle with every time you turn on the car. To fix this, the dealer can hook the car up to their computer and reset the navigation system to "USA".

Actually I prefer yards, but I wonder if this is also the reason my Nav seems to have a weak concept of cities. I'll have to check this weekend and see if I can find this UK/USA switch in Progman.

I am running V32 being SW4-1/00.

Still cannot see how to disable the Accept Nav Screen
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #19
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Actually, the Live Data screen is also not working in the BMW Scanner program.

It is greyed out in the DME menu contrary to other reports.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am running V32 being SW4-1/00.

Still cannot see how to disable the Accept Nav Screen
I lost the nag screen when I updated to V32, but didn't realize until last night that the reason it went away is I inadvertently set the Nav to UK mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #21
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Finally received the BMW Scanner off eBay and am running V1.4.0.9 with great success.

Overall I am very happy with this program and Scanner.

I was a little pissed off I had to search for a fix and then solder pins 1-2 and 7-8 before all functions were working on the coding side of things.

As if the people who made this Scanner couldn't have done that.

I have been able to read all fault codes and change to auto door locking, and a few other small things.

I have yet to be able to remove the 'Nav Accept' Nag Screen with this program, so if anybody knows how please chip in.
do you have any more info on this?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
do you have any more info on this?
Click HERE
Appreciate 0