ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
etane
Rep
Drives: '03 Zed 3.0

Do I need new Strut Mounts?

Hello:

For awhile now, my car has been making a bit of a creaking noise whenever it goes up or down a curb. Months ago, I had my mechanic give my car check it out when I was replacing my front tires and got a front alignment done. He said he didn't find anything.

Last month, I had some body repair done, and the body shop owner told me the nuts connecting the strut mounts were a bit loose which could cause the creaking sound. He said he tightened them up just a little. And, the creaking sound did get reduced. He said he didn't want to tighten them too much as they don't have an alignment machine to ensure he doesn't screw the alignment up.

So, yesterday, I got an oil change done, and I told my mechanic what the bodyshop guy told me. He then inspected the shock mounts personally and told me that they need to be replaced. And, while they are getting replaced, I should get the struts replaced too.

He quoted me $52 for each strut mount but $287 each for a strut. This total plus labor and tax comes up to $940. He said there's a chance the struts will come through the strut mounts if they are not replaced.

That's quite a big difference in the tune he's singing from just a few months ago when he told me the car is find and dandy.

Anyways, I took a pic of the strut mount.

Notice there is traces of movement around the nuts. And, there's a crack on the strut mount.

Anyways, is the mechanic right that I need new mounts and perhaps new struts? Or, is the bodyshop guy right in that I just need to tighten the screws? BTW, I have a 2003 Z3 3.0 with close to 44k miles.

Thanks,

ed
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Sounds like you have been letting ignorant people work on your car.

1, tightening those screws up wont change your alignment, any idiot working at a shop should know that.

2: those nuts are supposed to move during the alignment process, which yours obviously has been since the alignment pin has been removed.

3: take more pics the "crack" is not clearly examinable in the pic you took. Different angles would be good.

I would start by not taking my car to either of those people anymore.
      06-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
etane
Rep

Here's a few more shots.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
etane
Rep

I PSed the 2 last pics a bit to bring out the darker portions more.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

looks like they need to be replaced.

this guy had the same issue :http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2733
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Why would you need to replace the struts when replacing the strut mounts? I know you have to remove them, but I wouldn't pay for that unless it was necessary!

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Just want to add that a friends car had a creak over road heaves/bumps and it turned out to just be the engine bay top braces - the two diagonal ones that end towards the windshield. We tightened all of the bolts up (front and rear) and the noise went away. Apparently this is common for them to loosen up.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
etane
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
Why would you need to replace the struts when replacing the strut mounts? I know you have to remove them, but I wouldn't pay for that unless it was necessary!
The car has 44k miles. I think the mechanic thinks he might as well replace the struts since he's working in the mounts. It might be more cost effective? It sure is a huge upfront cost. I don't drive my car very hard. I am under the assumption that I don't need to replace my struts for quite awhile.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
etane
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Just want to add that a friends car had a creak over road heaves/bumps and it turned out to just be the engine bay top braces - the two diagonal ones that end towards the windshield. We tightened all of the bolts up (front and rear) and the noise went away. Apparently this is common for them to loosen up.
I will look into those.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etane View Post
The car has 44k miles. I think the mechanic thinks he might as well replace the struts since he's working in the mounts. It might be more cost effective? It sure is a huge upfront cost. I don't drive my car very hard. I am under the assumption that I don't need to replace my struts for quite awhile.
Cost effective....not so sure....well, if you're going to pull the struts out, why not do the brake rotors and pads, fluid, change to stainless steel brake lines, etc.....see what I mean? I think your front struts will last you quite a bit longer, so I wouldn't worry about it. Get the strut mounts and be done with it.

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
Cost effective....not so sure....well, if you're going to pull the struts out, why not do the brake rotors and pads, fluid, change to stainless steel brake lines, etc.....see what I mean? I think your front struts will last you quite a bit longer, so I wouldn't worry about it. Get the strut mounts and be done with it.
LMAO. Actually at 44k miles, it's a good idea to just replace the stock struts/shocks because that's right about when the stock ones start to fail if not already. And as a matter of fact, if the car's never had brake pads/rotors replaced at 44k miles, it's not a bad idea to replace them at that mileage either.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

If you're going to replace the struts/shocks, just get a set of Koni's and don't bother with the OEM's. You'd be paying the same money and be getting much better products. More comfortable ride and better handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
etane
Rep

I am fortunate enough that I've never had a strut replaced... most my previous cars last me over 50k with one over 150k...

I think I narrowed down the problem to the sway bar bushing or sway bar link. Those seem to be common causes for the creaking/thumping sound whenever a car goes over a bump...

I will hold off the Konis for awhile. I will look into them when I do replace the struts.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Underdog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW z4 3.0is

Strut mounts

I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2003 z4 and spent every last penny buying it cash.
I just noticed the same thing as was shown in the original post pictures.
My question is this. Is my car safe to drive, or can the struts come up and go into the hood or cause a wreck? The car drives/feels great, I just happened to notice the cracks all around the mounts. (It looks like its pretty much cracked all around on both strut mounts)
If I need to go into debt to insure safety or further damage, I definitely will, but I'd rather wait a couple of months to be able to save for it. (Not to mention it was a little bit if a hard sell to the wife and a big expense doesn't help the cause...). What should this repair cost?
Thanks in advance for your help and replies.
Appreciate 0