ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Small RANT about "TRACKED" Cars

I am sure the ones that read this part of the forums already feel this way, but I will plow ahead. Do you get as tired of people selling the cars with the famous quote "never tracked" on the sale page as I do? SERIOUSLY do these people really believe taking an M series car to the track is hurting it! Myself I would never devalue a car just because it was on the track. Think about it, people that DO track their cars, have a far more inclusive maintenance schedule that those that don't. I can tell you the EXACT day and hour my last brake fluid flush was done, when the tires were balanced, oil changes (myself only), all the bolts and nuts checked, filters changed, valves adjusted, diff and trans fluids changed, bushings checked and changed, rotors and pads inspected and changed.

Joe Normal Guy has no clue when any of this was done to their "never tracked" car. I would MUCH rather buy a car that was tracked than one that was only serviced by the BMW schedule and driven around on the weekend like it was a fragile flower. My 2 cents.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I agree. I also hate the "Never Driven in the Rain".....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Personally, and this is just me, I'd be more worried if an ///M car or Porsche GTx car I'm looking to buy says "never tracked." It means it's a high strung car that has been sitting in a garage and NEVER fully exercised.

Those cars seem to have far more issues further down the line. I'd rather buy a car that says "lightly tracked" than a car that's never tracked or a car that's heavily modified but never tracked, because modified cars that's been tracked tend to be modified the right way, while cars that are modified and never tracked never got a chance to stress those modified parts to show potential problems with the junk that goes on the car.

Just my personal opinion, of course.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Joe average consumer won't know or understand any of that. They will think that a tracked car is one that has had lots of premature wear done to parts and that it will need lots of repairs in the near future.

I wouldn't buy a car that was tracked all the time but someone who took it out a few times a year and took care of it, no issue. Like the guys above me said, a driver who tracks is more likely to be on top of maintenance than someone who drives the car once a month on a sunny day.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I understand where you guys are coming from, but let's be a little honest here. It's a pretty well known fact the S54 has a tendency to develop rod bearing issues on cars that see a bit of high revving, TRACK time. I've seen it mentioned countless times on this site that guys who run their cars at the track need to pay special attention to the rod bearings. If I was buying one of these cars, I'd certainly want to know if the car had been regularly tracked for this very purpose, and if the bearings had been attended to. This is just one example of why I personally wouldn't want a car that has seen significant track time when there are so many other affordable examples of this car available currently.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
losingmylycosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

I feel bad for those who don't track their car, ever. Why buy an M then?

11-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I think it's good to track any BMW not just Ms. Ultimate driving machine right? They are all built to go from the showroom to the track. At least occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

To play devil's advocate: If all other factors were equal (assume owner has high maintenance standards, ALWAYS allows the car to warm up fully before driving, etc.) and one Z4M were tracked while the other was not, I would definitely go for the latter. Most likely less time in the high RPMs = less wear, implying potentially healthier rod bearings, among other things.

edit: I should really read all replies before replying, @NickyC beat me too it haha.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

It's right up there with those marketed as "bone stock". Doesn't mean they were bone stock all their lives or not modified and subsequently returned to stock. Same thing with people using the vastly overused term "rare". My Z3 has had it's oil changed with Amsoil Euro synthetic every 5000 miles, had its lifetime diff/trans fluids changed each year, and it's Dot 4 brake fluid twice a year.
      12-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Many would prefer a car only adult driven (older owner), one owner, low miles, meticulously maintained, not tracked, garaged, never driven in snow, always warmed up properly, 100% stock, etc.

None of them by themselves mean much and virtually none of them can be proven but as long as some buyers care about the above the sellers will keep posting them. I would post most of the above and if the seller doesn't care he can skip over it. If other owners don't agree they also can skip over it (they weren't buying anyway).

There is probably the same discussion about high mile cars and how it doesn't matter compared to how it was maintained. All things being equal I would still take the lower mile car.