ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Topsider Oil Extractor

Got it in the mail a few days ago and decided to change my oil today since it was due. I searched the entire forum and didn't see any threads on it.

Fairly easy to use it, but I found I had to pump every 5-10min to keep the oil going. Think it took me 35-40min to fully drain it out.

Also believe I got all the oil out, logic behind that is I put back in 5.5litres of oil and the dip stick was showing between half and full. From what I've read on here our engine takes 5.5-6.0litres.

Why I like it
1. No mess
2. Easy to do
3. Don't have to lift the car or get under it at all

I have read on other forums that people dislike it for not getting all the oil out and others loving it for the reason's I posted above.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

cost?
      10-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^WHS

I'm interested in what happens after 6 months. Other extractors (Mitivac) have failed due to some interaction between synthetic oil and the seals.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I use similar on my non z car, love these things.. i did put a magnetic plug in my drain so once a while I do look forward to cleaning that out
      10-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
cost?
Picked it up from Northern Tools for $50 plus shipping ($89 CAD total). They also ship to Canada. My package came from Burlington, so no duty but there is tax.

Will see how it holds up over the year as I use it and report back.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._390306_390306

I saw that Bimmian has one as well but they want $114 plus tax and shipping for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
I guess i dont see the point of this? Is it just to save a mess? For example on post you're on authorized to change your oil in your driveway so I'm assuming you would use this then?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post
I guess i dont see the point of this? Is it just to save a mess? For example on post you're on authorized to change your oil in your driveway so I'm assuming you would use this then?
Me neither. Two pieces of 2x6, jack and jackstands (for safety) i will be done in 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Me neither. Two pieces of 2x6, jack and jackstands (for safety) i will be done in 15 minutes.
Unless the car is placed on 4 jack stands (or you lowered the car back down to level ground during draining if only jacking up from the front), you may not be able to get as much oil drained if the car sits at an angle with just the front on jack stands. In this case, the extractor may get more oil out than the 2 jack stand method. I like the draining method much better as I feel that it gets more of the "crud" out from the bottom of the pan, but with the Z being so low, the extraction method is awfully tempting.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Pheonix
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Unless the car is placed on 4 jack stands (or you lowered the car back down to level ground during draining if only jacking up from the front), you may not be able to get as much oil drained if the car sits at an angle with just the front on jack stands. In this case, the extractor may get more oil out than the 2 jack stand method. I like the draining method much better as I feel that it gets more of the "crud" out from the bottom of the pan, but with the Z being so low, the extraction method is awfully tempting.
Of course there are 4 jackstands to keep the car leveled. The 2x6 are for the front (to get the jack under the jackpoint)
As someone already mentioned, it is a good alternative if one has no access to jack, jackstand, etc.. My point was that I could do a much better and quick oil change by draining it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Of course there are 4 jackstands to keep the car leveled. The 2x6 are for the front (to get the jack under the jackpoint)
As someone already mentioned, it is a good alternative if one has no access to jack, jackstand, etc.. My point was that I could do a much better and quick oil change by draining it.
I have the mitvac 7300 that works off of an air compressor (no pumping). With this unit, I can drain the full 5.5 liters of my M in about 2-3 minutes. It takes about 3 minutes to change the filter, and another 3-5 minutes to fill it back up. I can do all of this without a jack, ramps and can do it wearing whatever clothes I want as there is no dripping oil in the process. It cost about $85 shipped from Amazon and I've had it about 2 years. No issues with it so far. Best tool I have in my garage and it is perfect for BMW's that have dipsticks and oil filters on the top of the engine.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Pheonix
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I have the mitvac 7300 that works off of an air compressor (no pumping). With this unit, I can drain the full 5.5 liters of my M in about 2-3 minutes. It takes about 3 minutes to change the filter, and another 3-5 minutes to fill it back up. I can do all of this without a jack, ramps and can do it wearing whatever clothes I want as there is no dripping oil in the process. It cost about $85 shipped from Amazon and I've had it about 2 years. No issues with it so far. Best tool I have in my garage and it is perfect for BMW's that have dipsticks and oil filters on the top of the engine.
Wow, that is really fast! What size compressor, psi and hose are you using? On of my buddy has a mitvac (dont know the model number) and i've seen more than 15 minutes to drain 5-6qt. He is a mechanic and has the compressor set at 115psi. Anyhow, glad it works out great for you. I will just stick to the old fashion way.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Wow, that is really fast! What size compressor, psi and hose are you using? On of my buddy has a mitvac (dont know the model number) and i've seen more than 15 minutes to drain 5-6qt. He is a mechanic and has the compressor set at 115psi. Anyhow, glad it works out great for you. I will just stick to the old fashion way.
The keys are using the biggest diameter hose that will fit in the dipstick tube and doing it when the oil is reasonably warm and flows better. It doesn't use that much air and runs at 80-90psi. In fact, once my tank is fully charged, it doesn't even kick on during the oil change process from the amount of air used to change the oil. One of the best garage tools I've ever bought.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

both are great methods. my buddy has a shop so i just stop by and put it on a hoist. easy and convieniant
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
^WHS

I'm interested in what happens after 6 months. Other extractors (Mitivac) have failed due to some interaction between synthetic oil and the seals.
First oil change with it was in October 2011, my dad used it on my mom's car a month ago and I did my second oil change on my Z4 today with it.

No issue with seals. I think it went quicker this time around. It wasn't as cold out as it was in October. It sucked out all 5.5litres. Will report back again in 6 months when I expect to do next oil change. Hopefully it still works then . lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Mityvac = 10 minutes. Measured Oil removed = 5.5 L
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Old thread revival...

So I just switched over from Castrol to the new Pennzoil 10w60. I thought it would be a good time to test some theories on how much oil my oil extractor (Griots Garage model) was really leaving behind.

I extracted as much as possible with the car on level ground. Then I jacked up the front end and put it on ramps to see how much more I could get out. None, that's how much. Then I emptied the remainder by removing the oilpan drain plug. 370 ML drained out. There were no other surprises such as metal filings around the drain plug or evident in the oil (I slowly emptied it from my catch pan into the oil containers and didn't see any sediment, but I also didn't feel around though).

I know others have posted above that they were getting all 5.5l. Perhaps when they insert the extractor once it hits the bottom of the oil pan they continue to push so it bends and then moves on to an edge of the pan. The last thing I want to happen is a piece of that plastic to break off in the dipstick tube so I don't do that.

So there it is. 370ml or 6.7%. I don't track my car so I may continue to just use the extractor going forward. It's just so damn convenient since we don't have to get under the car to change the filter. But I was surprised at the amount that it left in the pan.

Your mileage may vary. Don't shoot me I'm only the piano player.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 03:06 AM   #17
BMWhound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 Grand Coupe, '07 MCoupe

Has anyone noticed the engine oil cooler located near the spoiler? They don't drain themselves. The return line needs to be disconnected to drain it. That darn thing will dip slowly through the night about a cup of oil.
And for the anal-retentive such as myself, jack up the left side up about two feet in the air with a couple of floor jacks and let it sit over night. Then do the same with the right side. A another cup of oil will magically drain out of the engine. Yes, I actually do this madness. At least I can happily sleep at night knowing that extra half quart of dirty oil is out of my engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I would be more concerned about wear & tear on the line from disconnecting & reconnecting than draining a little extra oil.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #19
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
I use one of these every other oil change.Been using one on my boat for years.also i've read horror stories about our drain plugs stripping(S54,aluminum oil pan,i believe)..the less i mess with it the better(imo).
      01-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #20
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhound View Post
Has anyone noticed the engine oil cooler located near the spoiler? They don't drain themselves. The return line needs to be disconnected to drain it. That darn thing will dip slowly through the night about a cup of oil.
And for the anal-retentive such as myself, jack up the left side up about two feet in the air with a couple of floor jacks and let it sit over night. Then do the same with the right side. A another cup of oil will magically drain out of the engine. Yes, I actually do this madness. At least I can happily sleep at night knowing that extra half quart of dirty oil is out of my engine.
You'll never get all of the old oil out as there will still be oil in the lifters the cam trays, etc. If you were being properly AR, you'd drain the old oil, do a fill, run the engine for 20-30 minutes, and then drain that oil so that you've flushed the old oil out, then refill.
      01-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #21
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I think all of us change our oil at twice the recommended interval, 7500 vs 15000, so I don't think it's worth getting overly AR.
My Fumoto valve protrudes slightly into the oil pan, so I have extra left in the bottom of the pan.

It's "seasoning".
      01-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #22
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
If you were being properly AR, you'd drain the old oil, do a fill, run the engine for 20-30 minutes, and then drain that oil so that you've flushed the old oil out, then refill.
With 20-30 min running you wont get to refresh the oil in the lifters....
That will take days/weeks.

But for a z4m you will refresh the oil in the cooler. That is for that car by far the biggest reservoir that doesnt get emptied on an oil change. (apart from when you count that 370ml, I guess the amount in the cooler will be something like that too, maybe 1L max)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0