ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
reverseloop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M

Question Motor mount bracket failure?

Alright gentlemen, so I have a 2007 Z4M Roadster. I was driving downtown (known for its crummy roads) and hit a small "lip" in the concrete at about 25MPH.

Immediately after that I noticed a vibration throughout the cabin of the vehicle, which appears to be originating from the passenger side.

After some research I believe this is the result of motor mount bracket bolt failure. I'd like to take a look myself and see if the bolts have indeed broken, so I was hoping someone on here had a diagram, or better yet some pictures, showing the location of all the mounting bracket bolts I should inspect and how to reach them.

I searched the forums and didn't find anything really, so I'm hoping someone could shed some light on what it takes to find and inspect them.
Thanks in advance for any pointers!

***EDIT***

I was searching in the wrong section of the forums. Found a BUNCH of threads on what I need to check this. Disregard post. Mods, remove if necessary!

Last edited by reverseloop; 11-15-2014 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

No prob.
I heard the "motorsports" bolts are in short supply, but somebody recently found identical bolts from McMaster.
You need qty 6 M8x25 and qty 2 M8x35.
I highly recommend Nord-Lock washers, #91812A430. and Vibra-Technics mounts.
      11-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
reverseloop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
No prob.
I heard the "motorsports" bolts are in short supply, but somebody recently found identical bolts from McMaster.
You need qty 6 M8x25 and qty 2 M8x35.
I highly recommend Nord-Lock washers, #91812A430. and Vibra-Technics mounts.
Awesome, thanks for the sizes! Haven't had a chance to even check them yet, just been such a busy week. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wet roads and experienced severe wheel-hop under hard 1st gear acceleration....immediate vibration....drove VERY low-rpm to BMW Bellevue and wheel-hop snapped the right side motor mounts off....required extracting the broken off bolts....it also allowed the engine to move enough to damage the high pressure side power steering hose....inspection revealed the 7 yr old drive belts (both) needed replacement....decided to include a laser alignment as well....voila....a $2,500 experience.