ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
Cafc_fuller
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw z4

Soft top roof dilemma

Good evening!

Hoping someone can help as I'm all out of ideas and getting really frustrated! I've had the common issue with my BMW Z4 soft top convertible roof where it packed up. it's a 58 plate.

After removing the roof was filled with water in the drain which was drained and the motor and pump was slightly damp but withheld from the water fairly well. I have had the motor tested and it's absolutely fine. After removing the roof i built a mount and have the roof working perfectly after realising the release valve had a slight fault with it and doing my best to repair.

After quite a bit of tinkering it was faultless outside the car on the mount so decided to put it back in the car. Put everything back in as per the guide and made sure no cables was caught and the release valve was 100% in. But nothing, attempts to go up but just not enough. Every know and again it will go or go with help.

I can't understand what is changing from outside the car on the mount to putting it Back in? Does anyone have any ideas as I've had it back in and out a few times and just can't work it out. I have tried powering the same way by disconnecting the cables once in the car but still no luck.

Appreciate any ideas!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Possibly your softtop control module.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Cafc_fuller
Registered
Rep

I fitted it back in and disconnected all cables and powered using jump leads from the battery to eliminate this. Starting to wonder if the release valve is not shutting properly? Any ideas welcome as close to throwing the roof out the window!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
MarkMcL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M

You do have an adjustment on the manual release cable.
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkMcL; 08-27-2015 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Thanks to StickMon I now Know how to post a pic.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafc_fuller View Post
I fitted it back in and disconnected all cables and powered using jump leads from the battery to eliminate this. Starting to wonder if the release valve is not shutting properly? Any ideas welcome as close to throwing the roof out the window!!
Does the pump motor run but the top doesn't move or does the motor not run at all?
      08-28-2015, 02:21 AM   #6
Cafc_fuller
Registered
Rep

The motor is running, can hear it going when in the car but just doesn't seem to have the strength when fitted it in the car. Outside of the car it works every time
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafc_fuller View Post
The motor is running, can hear it going when in the car but just doesn't seem to have the strength when fitted it in the car. Outside of the car it works every time
The fact the motor is running is good news. That means it's not a controller issue. One of the things you have to be careful of in the installation in the outer sheath for the release cable. It's not well anchored at the motor and you can activate the release by pulling on the sheath as readily as by pulling on the cable. Make certain that there's some service loop down by the motor and no tension on the sheath and see if that solves the problem when it's installed in the car.