ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
bfwollen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4

Brace

I'm considering purchasing a cross brace in the engine compartment for my 2006 Z4. Also thinking about a different exhaust that has more ( rrrrrmmm )
sound to it than my stock exhaust.

Please provide some options, ideas and approximate prices

Brad

Olympia, WA
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

As far as the cross brace; if it's a street car, buy the one you think looks nicest. If it's a track car, I would buy the BMW Motorsport model.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfwollen View Post
I'm considering purchasing a cross brace in the engine compartment for my 2006 Z4. Also thinking about a different exhaust that has more ( rrrrrmmm )
sound to it than my stock exhaust.

Please provide some options, ideas and approximate prices

Brad

Olympia, WA
This is the stiffest chassis car ever built by BMW, doesn't really "need" a crossbrace, although it can potentially provide more reinforcement for the front shock tower. I'm assuming you have a Z4M. I'm partial to StrongStrut, they have great customer service, lots of us have them. It should work with the 3.0 Coupe or Roadster, but the bolt patterns on some additional pieces may differ, so please check.

On exhaust, if an M, you could start here. Stromung, Eisenmann Supersprint Powerloop offer good sound enhancement with minimal drone. If you've up for loud, RPI is the ticket. For newer observations and comparisons, or 3.0 and other models, best bet is to search "exhaust" in thread title and limit to this sub-form (use advanced search).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Just a quick note about the OEM brace. Unless it has changed recently, it is no longer available. BMW made one specific to the Z4, but they are no longer being made, and no one has had any stock for a long time. Some people have used the M3 (e46) brace, but it's not the same and may require some minor modification.

If you have a non-M, there is a guy across the ocean that does a mod to the stock muffler that sounds pretty good. He might tell you his secret if you tell him you are in the US and won't be competition for him. You can search for posts about it on Z4-Forum. It does involve cutting and welding, though. If you do have an M, the Stromung is a really nice sounding improvement for not a lot of money. I've had Stromung and now have Powerloop.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

By George, you're right, I see the OEM brace is discontinued. That means I have an extremely valuable classic part! Maybe worth more than my car!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelselman View Post
By George, you're right, I see the OEM brace is discontinued. That means I have an extremely valuable classic part! Maybe worth more than my car!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Deemo319 installed the one at post 1073 on this thread:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...917461&page=49

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think the e46 oem brace fits and is still available.

performance wise a 3 point brace might be an option. I've got one from ultra racing.
High strenght tubular steel, about 3kg in total weight.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0