ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

E85 Z4 appearance in Top Gear

Just watched Top Gear : The Perfect Road Trip. Decently fun and was amused to see an older Z4 make an appearance - modified to be used on a road rally course. Somewhat alarming to watch the car get trashed top down in a heavy downpour, but pretty fun in any event...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

I don't think I have seen that one, but I know Richard Hammond did a review in the z4m roadster when it first came out. He loved it!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Can u post a link to the road trip vid?

Cheers
      11-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
I don't think I have seen that one, but I know Richard Hammond did a review in the z4m roadster when it first came out. He loved it!
And Clarkson immediately based the Coupe for the way it looked and they never spoke of it after that.

This must be the new special right? I had heard they were filming something about a perfect road trip.
      11-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
And Clarkson immediately based the Coupe for the way it looked and they never spoke of it after that.

This must be the new special right? I had heard they were filming something about a perfect road trip.
Yes- it was a special. Just Clarkson and Hammond.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

Bashed a Z4 Coupe? It must be great to be an upper class Brit twit who is handed some of the greatest cars on the planet to drive so you can feel superior and disparage the cars that regular plebian folks must resign themselves to driving every day.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z
Quote:

Bashed a Z4 Coupe? It must be great to be an upper class Brit twit who is handed some of the greatest cars on the planet to drive so you can feel superior and disparage the cars that regular plebian folks must resign themselves to driving every day.
Haha... I like him though, because he punched Piers Morgan.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
well in the priginal episode when they drove the roadie, he was talking about much he didn't like it.

but yes, i also agree. spoiled. haha
      11-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I don't mind him, it's just an opinion, and as the saying goes... Something or rather about arseholes.. ; )
That and not sure what the average income is in the US, but where I am from in Aus, the zed4 mcoupe retailed out of reach from every pleb that lives there. They had to settle for thier SS commodores.
      11-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

I don't know how any of you can watch Top Gear. Fifth Gear is where it's at!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

^jk
      11-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Jason Plato from Fifth Gear loved the Z4M when it came out (and bought one), as did Richard Hammond. Fifth gear has run the 3.0 coupe in a number of head-to-heads in 2006-2009. Sometimes it comes out on top, sometimes not. But always was a contender they enjoyed.

If you have watched Top Gear from he beginning, you'd know Jeremy, as a rule, is NOT a fan of ANYTHING BMW (or Porsche for that matter). A few notable exceptions with the E46 M3 CSL and 1MCoupe. Bottom line, he's a die-hard Merc guy to the bone. If it's German, it had better have a star on the grille or it's doomed as far as Clarkson is concerned. I still love the guy, though. I didn't know he punched Piers Morgan, but that definitely puts him up another couple points in my book, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I think if you have watches top gear from the beginning, you'd remember him saying all m cars are brilliant. They always say the m3 and m5 are the benchmarks others can't ever seem to meet, and even later on he said he had come around on the e85. He just doesn't like BMW drivers
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
Jason Plato from Fifth Gear loved the Z4M when it came out (and bought one), as did Richard Hammond. Fifth gear has run the 3.0 coupe in a number of head-to-heads in 2006-2009. Sometimes it comes out on top, sometimes not. But always was a contender they enjoyed.

If you have watched Top Gear from he beginning, you'd know Jeremy, as a rule, is NOT a fan of ANYTHING BMW (or Porsche for that matter). A few notable exceptions with the E46 M3 CSL and 1MCoupe. Bottom line, he's a die-hard Merc guy to the bone. If it's German, it had better have a star on the grille or it's doomed as far as Clarkson is concerned. I still love the guy, though. I didn't know he punched Piers Morgan, but that definitely puts him up another couple points in my book, too.
100% this.
      11-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh441 View Post

Actually as I undestand it, Plato bought a pre-facelift 3.0i. That was following the Fith Gear test of the Z4 against a red Boxster driven by Tiff Nedell (sp?). Around the same time, Hammond tested the pre-facelift Z4 on Top Gear when it was first introduced to replace the Z3 and liked itn quite a bit. Both guys tested the Z4M and loved it and those tests are still online.

Clarkson actually commented positively on the current E89; which is to expected from a Merc lover as the E89 is a GT car. My problem with Clarkson is that he comes across as very elitist, runs hot and cold on things and will readily insult a group or car club with the members present to get a laugh from the viewing audience. That's breaking the prime directive of car guys - you don't trash a guy's ride.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
+1. In fact, I personally feel privileged to have an e86m. to me it is one of the greatest cars on the planet. amount of $$$ cost does not dictate greatest. Just like amount of $$$ cannot buy class.

With that said, I do love the show. Its a riot for what it is... entertainment.
      11-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Top Gear is a comedy show, nothing more.
But one of the best comedy shows I've seen since Monty Python.
I wouldn't take car advice from it, but I wouldn't miss an episode.

I don't find Fifth Gear particularly amusing. Vicky is hard to look at and Tiff is so hammy I expect him to break into King Lear at any moment.
But they do know their cars. I would take advice from the Team Test, if it was a car I was likely to consider.
      11-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Exist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
I think if you have watches top gear from the beginning, you'd remember him saying all m cars are brilliant. They always say the m3 and m5 are the benchmarks others can't ever seem to meet, and even later on he said he had come around on the e85. He just doesn't like BMW drivers
Clarkson adored the E9x M3 and adored the newest M5. Then he couldn't stop talking about how great the E89 looked.

11-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Top Gear is a comedy show, nothing more.
But one of the best comedy shows I've seen since Monty Python.
I wouldn't take car advice from it, but I wouldn't miss an episode.

I don't find Fifth Gear particularly amusing. Vicky is hard to look at and Tiff is so hammy I expect him to break into King Lear at any moment.
But they do know their cars. I would take advice from the Team Test, if it was a car I was likely to consider.
Yes but it's actually about cars and they actually know how to drive them. Personally I don't consider TG funny in the least but diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Obviously I'm the minority here but I've just never understood why people that like cars would want to watch a show where they don't seem to really care about cars. That and it's all staged.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Chris Harris on //DRIVE

best car review driver.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0