ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Buying a stolen Z4M?

I've found a Z4M roadster that ticks most of my boxes, except for the fact that it is out of province.

However in looking at the CarFax (and then talking with the dealership), it turns out the car was stolen, and then recovered a couple of weeks later.

Part of me just says to forget about this one and wait for another to come along, but it is a decent price for the mileage and meets most of my relatively picky requirements (as far as colours and options go).

Would I just be opening up a known can of worms and have issues down the road with re-sale?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Stolen and then recovered reduces it's value. If there are similar cars for the same amount of money I would buy one of them, if it looks to be a good deal I would get it checked out and then make an educated decision based on driving and looking at it.

Besides a close look and getting a professional to check it out there is no way to know if any car hasn't been abused at some point by the previous owner, his friends, etc. I bought a car that had 3 previous owners.
      03-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Stolen and then recovered reduces it's value. If there are similar cars for the same amount of money I would buy one of them, if it looks to be a good deal I would get it checked out and then make an educated decision based on driving and looking at it.

Besides a close look and getting a professional to check it out there is no way to know if any car hasn't been abused at some point by the previous owner, his friends, etc. I bought a car that had 3 previous owners.
The price is very good, considering it only has 9,000 miles on it! So it was not likely abused by the owner, but who knows what was done to it when it was out of their hands. Supposedly it was recovered unharmed with no repairs necessary. The dealership selling it said I could have it inspected at BMW.

Without this blemish on its record, I suspect the car would be worth much much more. I am wondering if the lower price reflects the diminished value.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I smell a sweet deal.
With any used car you'll seldom know what the original owner got up to.
Good chance that the thief hid it and did little else with/to it.
Get it inspected and if it's clean, you win!
      03-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I agree with the above. Also, if I stole a car there is a good chance I would either be storing it to figure out what to do with it, stripping it, or would be driving it around obeying every law possible. Last thing I would want to do is stand out or get pulled over for some minor infraction.
      03-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Also, if I stole a car there is a good chance I would either be storing it to figure out what to do with it, stripping it, or would be driving it around obeying every law possible. Last thing I would want to do is stand out or get pulled over for some minor infraction.
The vehicle was sold to a dealership. I'm thinking it might be wise to see if the dealership can put me in contact with the seller. He might be able to give me the rundown on what actually happened and the extent of any damages that occurred. Not sure the dealership will be too keen to do that though.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
ZMCoupe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Try checking https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1069147 maybe the previous owner registered and you can then send them a message requesting info?... Maybe there weren't too many in your area and you'll get lucky!
Cheers and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

So....did you buy it? Let us know...

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0