ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

Part 2 -The Drive

The Drive…

Early this Sunday morning, my son tells me that he wants to go take his Coupe out for a drive to the local mountains here in San Diego. So he asks me if I wanted to also go on a spirited driving run with him. At first, I was hesitant to reply. However, I accepted his offer, after he had convinced me, using constructive criticism, as well as humorous remarks about age. So, I finished cooking breakfast for the family and out the door we went.

While we were both in the garage warming up our cars (you got to love that sound of the M Coupe Dual Exhaust and the Dinan Free-Flow Exhaust), it was like we were going on some sort of mission – like attacking the Death Star, or something like that. So after inspecting our vehicles and conducting FRS radio checks, as we were rolling out, I gave him the thumbs up, he looked at me, nodding his head & laughed. LOL

To make a long story short, the drive up to Mount Palomar was about 45 minutes one-way, and to an elevation of 5000 feet. The route was full of multiple twists and turns, and I have to admit my son has some serious driving skills, and numerous times he was out-of sight. In all honesty, I had felt more nervous about my son, than myself since he always pushes the envelope. Being that it was my first time up in these roads,
I was also more concerned about the oncoming cars and super fast motorcycles flying around the corners.

As we reached the summit and parked at the viewpoint, my son had decided that he wanted to switch cars, and even though that I drove his M Coupe, and he drove my Roadster, he still left me behind.

When we had reached home, while getting out of the car I was rubbing my shoulders, and he was just grinning and laughing on his way into the house. As for me, it was a workout.

All in all, it was a great Father & Son day, and here are some pics I took of my son’s car & our drive…

Last edited by 1st_Knight; 11-23-2009 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

What's with the Euro-style plate?
      11-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

Thats what I want to know. What's up with the plates? Normally MD on a european plate is Moldova.

2006 E46 M3, 2004 Jeep Rubicon, 93 Golf VR6
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty C View Post
Thats what I want to know. What's up with the plates? Normally MD on a european plate is Moldova.

That is correct, very sharp of you to recognize this.

The MD plate belongs to me, his pops. I got the plate when our family went to Eastern Europe (Romania & Moldova), my wife is European and we have family in both countries. Anyways, a couple of years ago when I brought the plate back to the US, I used to have this license Plate on my E36. I have had this plate for awhile now, and when I go back to Romania next year, I am going pick up a Romanian LP....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
pvr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

You can have a foreign plate on your car over there without issues???

Nice trip - I can understand why your son wanted to drive your car with all that sunshine about and being stuck in a tin top
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
You can have a foreign plate on your car over there without issues???
Yes & No. The Euro-Plate is only temporary, until my son gets his new CA plates. As for me, personally, I have to admit that the black & white plate looks good on the car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
Nice trip - I can understand why your son wanted to drive your car with all that sunshine about and being stuck in a tin top
LOL, I know that he could not resist the beautiful weather we had that day in Southern California...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i envy the fact you do not have to run a front plate in your state. clean bumpers ftw!
      11-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Knight View Post
.....LOL, I know that he could not resist the beautiful weather we had that day in Southern California...
Those horrible Southern California winters.
      11-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Great pics/writeup!

I just moved back to Michigan and my dad has a Z4M roadster; I'm sure we'll be doing a drive soon as well!
      11-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

1st_Knight,

Sounds like you had a great experience with your son. The two of you might enjoy going to a track day together. It's an excellent opportunity to really give your cars a good run without the various risks that you expressed concern about for the drive up the mountain. Plus, you get to hone your skills by attacking the same corners multiple times.

I'll warn you, however: track days are addictive. After 3 years of track days, I went SCCA racing for 10 years!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
1st_Knight,

Sounds like you had a great experience with your son. The two of you might enjoy going to a track day together. It's an excellent opportunity to really give your cars a good run without the various risks that you expressed concern about for the drive up the mountain. Plus, you get to hone your skills by attacking the same corners multiple times.

I'll warn you, however: track days are addictive. After 3 years of track days, I went SCCA racing for 10 years!

Rick F.
Rick F.. Thanks for the insightful recommendation....

In fact, while we were at the mountain summit, my son and I got to talking, and he wanted to know if I would consider going with him to the M Driving School at Spartanburg, SC. He expressed to me that this would be part of
my big 50 B-Day gift next year. I mentioned to him that I would love to experience Nurburgring....as a passenger LOL....

We shall wait and see...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
Matty C
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Roadster, 2006 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Knight View Post
Rick F.. Thanks for the insightful recommendation....

In fact, while we were at the mountain summit, my son and I got to talking, and he wanted to know if I would consider going with him to the M Driving School at Spartanburg, SC. He expressed to me that this would be part of
my big 50 B-Day gift next year. I mentioned to him that I would love to experience Nurburgring....as a passenger LOL....

We shall wait and see...
What is really nice is that you can rent a M3 to drive the ring. There are companies like Rehn Taxi and rent a race car that will let you rent a M3 (E92) for as little as $120 a hour. A lot better then doing it in your car as most insurance companies don't compensate you for a loss. Also Hockenheim Ring is open to the public every Thursday afternoon for about 20 Euro. They alternate car and bike hot laps. Nice experience and helpful people at both places.

2006 E46 M3, 2004 Jeep Rubicon, 93 Golf VR6
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

I would be interested in Jon's thoughts as to which car he has had over the past 3 years he likes best.

Pics looks good, what a father son day.

The lake looks like a puddle, here is a pic from 07 at the same place

11-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
1st_Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
I would be interested in Jon's thoughts as to which car he has had over the past 3 years he likes best.

Pics looks good, what a father son day.

The lake looks like a puddle, here is a pic from 07 at the same place

Bob, I called Jon and told him of your inquiry. Hopefully, he will make post here...
Appreciate 0