ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
2007 M coupe battery issues

My battery keeps going dead if i leave my car for 1-2 days without driving. I typically drive 40-60 miles during the week getting to work. The dealer told me that i need to purchase an external charger to keep the battery alive..seems odd to me. any suggestions?
      11-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
My battery keeps going dead if i leave my car for 1-2 days without driving. I typically drive 40-60 miles during the week getting to work. The dealer told me that i need to purchase an external charger to keep the battery alive..seems odd to me. any suggestions?
Get them to look at the battery and make sure it is holding a charge. Mine was not charging properly and I had it checked out. They found corrosion on the terminals which was affecting the charge rate, but the battery checked out good. Mine is not driven that often either(~2,500 miles/yr), but they still did the check and terminal cleaning for free. I use a charger (https://www.shopatron.com/products/p....23205.0.0.0.0) once a month to keep it topped off/conditioned. It will have issues with so few miles being driven if you don;t maintain it. The battery is very $$$ too.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

While I do use a battery tender on my car yours seems to be a little strange,
I have to leave mine a few weeks to a month for it to be dead,
But after a charge its fine again and holds,

(this was before I bought the battery tender)

Now I always have a charged battery and never had any problems,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Yes, that does seem odd. I too have a 2007 M coupe. I average probably 100 miles per month. I have never had a dead battery, though for the winter I do hook up the battery tender.

Did the dealer actually test the battery? I would start there.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

One day I started my car and I noticed everything was reset, like clock, speed limit beep thing, etc. I think somehow the power was cut off for some period of time. It happened once and I will keep an eye for this..
      11-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
One day I started my car and I noticed everything was reset, like clock, speed limit beep thing, etc. I think somehow the power was cut off for some period of time. It happened once and I will keep an eye for this..
I also had something similar occur about a year ago and since then there has been no repeats. Other then driving, nothing had been done to the car.
      11-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Obviously your battery should not go dead after a few days of not being driven. Either you have a bad battery, or you have a current drain on the battery that is running it down. You can have the battery tested; if it is bad replace it. If the battery is OK, try disconnecting the battery while the car is sitting. If it doesn't go dead, you know you have a current drain. This could be as simple as something like a courtesy light, or as complex as one of the main systems not going into "sleep mode".
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I drive about 50 miles a day. From time to time would let it sit over a weekend and it sounded saggy when starting. Finally one weekend I got ready to go somewhere, again after it had sat, and it wouldn't start. A jump and everything seemed fine unless I left it parked for a while. The terminal was a tad corroded but not real bad. Dealer ran a check, printed out some little receipt with a code and replaced it free under warranty. No issues since.
Appreciate 0