ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Moving to Cali, have a few questions!

I am moving to the LA area in the next month or two for work and was hoping to get some tips from the locals:
  1. How strictly are the front window tint and front license plate laws enforced by LEOs? I don't have any tint on my M coupe (although I was thinking about getting one) but my ZHP came with a tint on all but the front window when I bought it in Texas. Neither car has holes in the bumper drilled for a front license plate, although I have provisions for affixing a temporary plate when I'm parked (this is usually when they get you in Chicago). I would prefer not to have to run a front plate while driving (even a tow-hook one) if at all possible.
  2. How is highway law enforcement in general? Anything to be worried about if I have a V1 and stay on the lookout? I am increasing my commute quite a bit from what I currently do so I'll have to be a little more careful.
  3. Anything to be worried about in terms of parking in LA? Are there any decent neighborhoods in which I can find a decent place with parking in my own garage (i.e. a townhouse or something) for ~$2000/mo? Unfortunately, I have a feeling the answer is no, so it's likely that I'll end up living in downtown LA and commuting to where I work in Santa Fe Springs. I imagine the options are going to be a garage down the street from where I live or a garage under the building if it's newer.
  4. How do folks who live in the city keep their cars looking nice? I have my own place now so washing/detailing is never an issue. I'm concerned about my ability to do that when I don't have my own garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Can't comment on any of those questions but I'm also curious, in addition to your list of questions, do you have to do anything for smog regulations seeing your car was originally a non-CA car?

Btw, I would seriously invest in a proper laser jammer set. I have one in conjunction with my V1 and I've had 2 legit saves so far. V1 is awesome but it's useless against LIDAR =T
      04-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Welcome!

1. My 3.0si was tinted pretty dark and I had it here for over a year without any issues, the front plate on the other hand can be a big deal. I always ran one but I know tons of people who don't and have been ticketed for it.
  2. Really it depends on where in LA you're moving, but in general, the freeways will be too backed up for you to get in any trouble unless you're flying around at 3am (and even still there can be a bit of traffic sometimes from people coming out of bars, accidents, construction, etc. ). I haven't found that I've been pulled over any more here than anywhere else I've lived (CT/FL/MA/RI). If anything it may be better because a) less room to fly around and b) your car won't stand out as much here.
  3. You can get a 1br with parking for $2k/mth pretty much anywhere in LA. 2br is tougher but can be doable as well depending on where and how fancy of a place you want. Everyone drives in LA so pretty much anywhere you live will come with a parking spot and if it doesn't then it will likely be heavily discounted because no one wants to street park.
  4. Carwash I guess? Everywhere I've lived in LA I've had a driveway and a hose (and that's on purpose).

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Keep in mind Los Angeles is a gigantic urban sprawl, and enforcement varies from one side of town to the other...

1) Tint is rarely enforced unless you give the LEO a reason to pull you over, like speeding or weaving in and out of traffic, or if you've got a set of exhaust that will set off car alarms in a 5 mile radius. I've got moderate tint on the front windows on the WRX wagon and it's got a pretty loud exhaust, but I've only been pulled over once in 3 years (knock on wood) for tint and he let me go on that one. As far as license plates, I've never been pulled over strictly for the lack of front license plate, although I've been ticketed twice in parking structures. My observation on both of these, is that the further WEST you go in L.A., the more strict these two violations are enforced. Both of the front license plate tickets were given on the west side of town, once at L.A.X and the other time in Santa Monica.

Unless your tint is so dark that it's impossible for a LEO to see inside in broad daylight, you'll probably skate by.

2) Radar detectors are perfectly legal in CA. Speeding isn't an issue on the highways IMO, at least if you stay well within 10 mph of posted speed. Where you're going to get busted are the other violations, like carpool (the CHPs love carpool violations), crossing over double yellow, illegal U-Turns...etc. You'll find more trouble with the local municipalities than CHP in my experience, although if you get pulled over by CHP, don't expect to talk out of a ticket, whereas I've had mixed luck with the local Munis.

3) If you work in Santa Fe Springs, there are plenty of options. Whittier, Industry, La Habra, Fullerton, Rowland Heights...etc, there are literally TONS of neighborhood where you can rent a condo or townhouse with attached parking. I'd probably go south and find a place in Buena Park or Anaheim for slightly more "upscale" neighborhood, but for $2,000 a month your choices are unlimited on this side of town, IMO.

4) Why wouldn't you have your own garage?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
dekaliber
Major
Rep

I should have mentioned this, but a part of the "where to live" concern is that I want to be around people my age (late 20s) and the population of young, single people is pretty scarce in the suburbs around SFS from what I've heard. I am not super into the bar scene or anything like that anymore, but having easy access to restaurants, coffee shops, and just nice places to go for a date is fairly important.

At the same time, the prospect of not having a garage really sucks for someone with 2 cars and a bike. I may investigate the Orange County option a little more.

Around here on the highways I tend to do around 80-85 when posted speed is generally 55. NO one goes 55 though, and the average ends up being around 70. I don't find speeding on the highway to be a problem -- no tickets in the last 7 years (knock on wood) -- but I've gotten a handful for bullshit fundraising tickets on local roads (we're talking like 37 in a 25) before I got any BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I should have mentioned this, but a part of the "where to live" concern is that I want to be around people my age (late 20s) and the population of young, single people is pretty scarce in the suburbs around SFS from what I've heard. I am not super into the bar scene or anything like that anymore, but having easy access to restaurants, coffee shops, and just nice places to go for a date is fairly important.

At the same time, the prospect of not having a garage really sucks for someone with 2 cars and a bike. I may investigate the Orange County option a little more.

Around here on the highways I tend to do around 80-85 when posted speed is generally 55. NO one goes 55 though, and the average ends up being around 70. I don't find speeding on the highway to be a problem -- no tickets in the last 7 years (knock on wood) -- but I've gotten a handful for bullshit fundraising tickets on local roads (we're talking like 37 in a 25) before I got any BMWs.
Yeah you definitely won't get tickets for going 80, that's what everyone here does. I don't know that area east of LA very well so I can't help much with that. If you like the beach though check out the South Bay area (Manhattan, Redondo, Hermosa). You could get a 1br with garage for under $2k and it is a really nice area, tons of young people and young families. Also check out El Segundo, it's not as upscale but it would be a bit cheaper so you could swing a 2br w/garage. I'm not sure the commute will be to your liking though, depends on what times you're commuting and your expectations. I found the longer I've lived here the more I'm able to put up with traffic-wise.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
gizmo83
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

1. Tint is not usually an issue here since everyone has it and especially on nicer cars. (I had tint on a Jetta and that got pulled over all the time but not once in the Z)

2. There aren't too many speed traps here and when there are it's usually always in the same spot which you'll find out on your own. So radar doesn't help much for me at least. It's either too much traffic or you'll see them driving and slow down before them.

3. Yea, consider the other cities people have stated. You're going to end up driving every where anyways so might as well live at a nicer place.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

I just did the final move to the OC-(Orange Curtain,lol) in Dec. Before I dug in fully I had an apartment in Newport Coast for 2 years as I flew back and forth to and from our Lab in Missouri. I think that 1 BR apt.w/garage was $2,200.00 monthly.

I met a sweet gal south in Laguna Beach and managed to fall in Love, move in together. Our rent for a cottage and no garage but 3 parking spaces is $2,500.00 which is fairly common here.

Almost EVERYWHERE is tiny spaces compared to the Midwest for your dollar. Including parking spaces in lots. You'll see.

I looked from San Lois Obispo,Santa Barbara to San Diego to live because the job covered all these points so it didn't matter where I landed.

The closer to the beach communities the higher prices can climb of course....and Terrorist Season-(Tourist)...can be a nightmare to live amoungst sometimes....but then again...to have to drive to these destinations and find parking for the day can be worse.

Dining....well, we walk everywhere because its close and easier mostly.

I run light tint and no front tag.....but I didn't receive a ticket when pulled over unless it was excessive speed additionally. I tend to drive as fast as traffic will allow and keep a 'front-door'.

While driving with a pack to Bimmer-fest one year I did get a ticket for tinted tails. I felt this was more due to the mass attention.

I remember in L.A. they sweep the streets on certain days and you can't park on the curb on those days or you'll get ticketed with a nice fine. This was back in the day when I was acting.....might have changed as it was 14 years ago.

Good luck to you on your journey !
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Cal State Fullerton is smack in the middle of Brea/La Habra/Fullerton area and there's a ton of bars/hangouts for 20 somethings. You can still rent a 2 bed, 2 bath condo there with attached garage for around $2,000. Heck my wife's cousin rented a 5 bed, 3 bath house just north of there in Rowland Heights for $2,800 a month.

What you also need to keep in mind is, if you live anywhere more than 10 miles away from work, it's going to take you anywhere between 35 minutes to 1 hour to get there in the morning and coming home. Yes traffic is THAT bad if you're going with it, and in Santa Fe Springs, no matter where you go, you're going with it.

So for example, if you choose to live in, say Santa Monica because it's chock full of young professionals and young college age kids (Santa Monica is 10 miles from USC, UCLA, Loyola Marymount...etc), it will take you 2-2.5 hours everyday in traffic, at least, to get to and from Santa Fe Springs (ask me how I know).

If you're intent on living next to college co-eds, try northern Irvine close to UCI. The commute will take you through the famous "Orange Crush" daily, but once you get past that, it should take no more than 15-20 minutes to get to your destination. The other issue is the social scene around Irvine is not as hip and happening as the rest of the So Cal areas surrounding colleges (Pasadena near PCC, Westwood near UCLA, Santa Monica near SMCC, Brea/Fullerton near CSUF, Long Beach...etc).

I still think your best bet is the area around CSU Fullerton.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

With those commute times, and probably low MPG, cost of gas, accessibility to fun, it's probably not a bad idea to factor in those costs in addition to the monthly housing budget. It sounds like it might be easy to end up with cheaper rent and higher total expenditures given other factors.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
dekaliber
Major
Rep

The folks I've talked to at the company describe the commutes from Long Beach and Downtown to be a fairly painless 30 minutes -- downtown since I'm going in the reverse direction of most traffic. I've also heard that folks in LA tend to underestimate their commutes by habit, but Google Maps around 7:30 in the morning and around 5 PM seems to confirm this. I'll be in town later this week so I'll try the drive myself in the morning to get a first-hand feel for how it is.

I should mention I'm likely to do a fair amount of commuting on my motorcycle in order to take advantage of the HOV lane. Not sure how much of a difference that makes when everything is backed up.

Thanks for all the feedback here though. I'm going to broaden my search a bit to include more places in Orange County and some of the communities north of the branch. I was headed down this route originally for practicality reasons, until the cool kids at the company convinced me I should do otherwise!

Nothing beats the 10 minute commute I have right now, and I love my house, but hopefully the quality of life benefits from sunny weather and windy roads offset everything that I have to sacrifice.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

On a motorcycle you'll be golden. It will cut your commute time in half. Just be careful.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
On a motorcycle you'll be golden. It will cut your commute time in half. Just be careful.
Cautious and paranoid is more like it on a cycle. My GF works at Mission Hospital in the SICU and its a daily report on how many motorcyclists come in brain dead or worse.

People rarely use turn signals out here or consider smaller sized vehicles speed. Just my experience perhaps.

Winters here are just rainy. I threw all my coats and sweaters away. Its flips and short sleeves pretty much.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Other than saying that I am envious, I can't comment on life in California.

But I can comment on motorcycles, having had my own for a while.

Huz Rule 1 you are invisible on a bike.

Huz Rule 2 if they do see you, they will TRY to get you!

Huz Rule 3 always wear a helmet. Don't be an organ donor!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Other than saying that I am envious, I can't comment on life in California.

But I can comment on motorcycles, having had my own for a while.

Huz Rule 3 always wear a helmet. Don't be an organ donor!
Helmets are mandatory in CA, although there's no enforcement for level of protection. As Huz has pointed out be as visible as possible, I know dark colors are fashionable for riders, but they blend in to well. Bikes for short commutes are great, but like all things, there are plus and minus considerations. Weigh the benefits and consequences carefully.
      04-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E85

http://www.city-data.com
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

+1 on both of the above. Best advice I ever got. I rode a bike as dd without incident for about 4 years, sold it to buy the M.

I think the only reason I never had any problems is that I followed the 2 rules above. I did see a lot of stupid moves though, there are so many terrible drivers on the road it's not even funny.
      04-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
dekaliber
Major
Rep

I'm well aware of the dangers of motorcycling and am an ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) kind of rider. Never get on the bike without helmet, gloves, and boots. If I'm just going down the street to the grocery store I'll wear jeans but anytime I'm on the highway I'm in all leathers. I haven't skimped on the quality of my helmets or any other gear.

I generally have very good situational awareness in my car (checking mirrors reflexively all the time) but I definitely amp it up on the bike because the consequences are so much worse.

Unbelievable how many people in IL ride without helmets. It's just too stupid to even consider. Plus, who wants bug splatters on their face?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #19
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
I'm well aware of the dangers of motorcycling and am an ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) kind of rider. Never get on the bike without helmet, gloves, and boots. If I'm just going down the street to the grocery store I'll wear jeans but anytime I'm on the highway I'm in all leathers. I haven't skimped on the quality of my helmets or any other gear.

I generally have very good situational awareness in my car (checking mirrors reflexively all the time) but I definitely amp it up on the bike because the consequences are so much worse.

Unbelievable how many people in IL ride without helmets. It's just too stupid to even consider. Plus, who wants bug splatters on their face?
Have you seen www.pashnit.com ? Great site if you're in California. His photos and descriptions make me want to move. Great tours and roads. And www.madmaps.com is another one.....

Got my motorcycle license in '65, and have it still.

DaveL
Toronto

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Do you have any other option on where to live? I would avoid Socal like the plague. I am from San Diego and have lived there for 20+ years but have also lived in about every state west of Colorado. I would strongly suggest Southern Oregon or Northern California. I am going to retire there and I am still in my 30s. Gun laws are laxed, no tint issues, they don't care about front plates, etc. Plus California and Hawaii (Oahu specific) are way too crowded and crime is sky high and it is NOT everywhere you go. I have lived in Oregon for the past several years and can comment that there is next to zero crime (Oregon Coast) and places are cheaper AND 0% sales tax.

As for Socal. CHP pretty much enforced the front plate and tint thing. Local PD didn't bother much unless you give them a reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

If you move to Oregon, forget the leathers, you'll need Rain Gear. It's definitely not SoCal! Medford/Grants Pass aren't bad, but the winters are still pretty cold. Save those sweatshirts and long johns, you'll need them.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #22
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
I am moving to the LA area in the next month or two for work and was hoping to get some tips from the locals:
  1. How strictly are the front window tint and front license plate laws enforced by LEOs? I don't have any tint on my M coupe (although I was thinking about getting one) but my ZHP came with a tint on all but the front window when I bought it in Texas. Neither car has holes in the bumper drilled for a front license plate, although I have provisions for affixing a temporary plate when I'm parked (this is usually when they get you in Chicago). I would prefer not to have to run a front plate while driving (even a tow-hook one) if at all possible.
  2. How is highway law enforcement in general? Anything to be worried about if I have a V1 and stay on the lookout? I am increasing my commute quite a bit from what I currently do so I'll have to be a little more careful.
  3. Anything to be worried about in terms of parking in LA? Are there any decent neighborhoods in which I can find a decent place with parking in my own garage (i.e. a townhouse or something) for ~$2000/mo? Unfortunately, I have a feeling the answer is no, so it's likely that I'll end up living in downtown LA and commuting to where I work in Santa Fe Springs. I imagine the options are going to be a garage down the street from where I live or a garage under the building if it's newer.
  4. How do folks who live in the city keep their cars looking nice? I have my own place now so washing/detailing is never an issue. I'm concerned about my ability to do that when I don't have my own garage.
You will love L.A., there is a reason why so many people want to live here. Nightlife, weather, beaches, dining, shopping etc. Yes cost of living is more expensive, but it is worth it. If you can live near the beach cities or the South Bay that would be a plus ie Redondo Beach, Torrance, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach they all are very pretty and safe, some areas can be very expensive Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills are extremely expensive or the closer you are to the beach can be costly to find somewhere to live, ie Manhattan Beach etc.. As for parking, you should have no problem finding a place to live with a garage or covered parking as most have them.

As for living in downtown L.A., not sure if that is where you want to live, there are some nice luxury apartments and or lofts, it may be cool to live there but there are some old areas, industrial parts and skid row and not really known to be residential friendly (yet) but downtown L.A. has been looking a lot better recently.

I would probably look somewhere else since L.A. is very spread out. Plus you are going to work in Santa Fe springs you have a lot of options since it is very accessible from many freeways, 110, 91, 5, 710, 605, 10. Look at Cerritos, Los Alamitos or Cypress (avoid Hawaiian Gardens) as they are very clean, nice and safe and very close the Santa Fe Springs. There are some not so good areas neighboring that I would avoid as well (ie Lynwood, Paramount, Southgate, Compton, Cudahy (pretty much the West neighboring cities). Someone else mentioned Long Beach, Long Beach would be great too but Long Beach also is very spread out and have some bad areas, so you would want to look at Downtown LongBeach (around Pine, Shoreline Dr.), Bixby Knolls, Signal Hill, Belmont Heights, Naples etc (Again some areas are very rich neighborhoods so the $2K budget may not go very far).

Again no matter where you choose to live Santa Fe Springs is very accessible and shouldn't be too bad, Nikki mentioned El Segundo, which is really a nice city (neighbors Manhattan Beach) which would be the farthest I would go since traffic can get pretty bad. Just as long as you aren't coming from Santa Monica, West L.A. as the 405 will be brutal. You will never get tired or bored of L.A. IMHO, as there are so many parts that are rich in culture, historical, music, scenic, trendy, hip, artsy, really whatever you are looking for L.A. has it.

Enjoy L.A. You will love it. IMO the best city in the world. Plus we have the Lakers. Let us know if you have more questions and from being a L.A. native I will be happy to answer anymore questions.

Last edited by doozyj; 04-06-2012 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0