ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Z4 Trim Swap

Can someone please post a DIY for replacing the trim? It doesn't look like there's any here. I'd imagine its pretty straight forward but if I took it to the dealer they would rape me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

scroll down, i put up a couple of links. some of the pics are gone, if you need any help shoot me a pm

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182701
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

is it necessary to remove the whole center (gearbox area) console in order to remove the center trim piece?
      01-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

I just did it yesterday.

Remove rear console door assembly, then you have to remove the entire center console black plastic, trim is bolted in from the bottom of that.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkpart2 View Post
is it necessary to remove the whole center (gearbox area) console in order to remove the center trim piece?
yup, the WHOLE thing
      01-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

damn ok ...ill give it a shot ..... lets see how this works out .....
      01-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

you need to raise the top a few inches to pry off the center console (it wraps around the back)
      01-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

thanks Roffle
      01-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

ok so got everything off but the main dash .... got the AC vents out, the radio out and the left side out ....

the right side wont unclip ..... i can feel the spring thing with the ring but how does it release the trim .... it seems like it wont come off ....
      01-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

That single clip on the passenger side was a pain, I don't remember how I got it out though. I think I pushed it up from the bottom or something.
      01-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

just ended up breaking it ..... oh well .... its getting wrapped now ...... will be putting it back in tomorrow .....
      07-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkpart2 View Post
just ended up breaking it ..... oh well .... its getting wrapped now ...... will be putting it back in tomorrow .....
Pics of the results? Interested in doing the same thing and wrapping minein CF Leather Fabric trim so your impessions and pointers would be welcome. Thankx
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I just pulled the big piece off to fix the CF fabric, it's really not that hard (well the second time anyway)

For the clip near the vents, just push it up, you might have to squeeze it together to get it to slide out. For the rest of them just pull up on the trim a bit until it's far enough out that you can pull on it firmly. There are no clips on the other side of the radio.
      07-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
idlook2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 89' 325is x2

I just pulled the small piece and large piece on the dash with the help of this forum and other DIY's. A couple tips that I didn't find clear before:

For the vent removal, mine was subborn and did not want to slide out after pulling those 2 silver clips. What is most likely causing friction is the 2 bottom corner plastic pieces inside the vent. Use a flashlight to see them. They are tappered (small in front and gets larger in the back). While both top silver clips are pushed down, use a thin flathead screw driver to lift up on the bottom corner of those tappered pieces. I managed to do this by myself but having 2 people would really help.
To make it a one person job, I first used a flat head to pull down one of the silver top clips, shoved a plastic card between the trim and top of vent to hold that clip down, repeat on other side, lift up gently on one side of the bottom corner tappered piece, pull vent out a centimeter, repeat on other side, pull vent out completely.

For the main dash piece, just note the first clip on the passenger side needs to be removed from behind the dash before pulling. First I put a small flashlight inside the passenger cupholder spot and took a picture with my phone to see what I was dealing with, I like to understand how something goes together before getting all ape like and tearing things apart. So for the clip, it was at an odd angle to use a tool for me but I ended up just pushing the bottom "V" part of the clip up with my fingers. If you can compress that "V" and push up at the same time it will be easier. The rest of the clips are more traditional for this car and I used a bit of muscle to pull the trim away from the dash with those clips still on. Make sure to go back inside the dash and pick up any clips that were left there. I was nervous about cracking the wood trim but after looking at the build quailty and structurability, I would be less worried in the future.

Going to wrap them in silver CF wrap and put them back in before doing the center console. Hope to have it done sometime this weekend. Any tips for the center console?

I've put this project off after buying the CF and the wood doesn't bother me as much anymore but atleast now my sports car will have a sporty interior and the silver CF will go better with the rest of my silver door and steering wheel pieces.

Edit: I didn't see your post until now psygnosis. You and I are talking about that same clip on the pasenger side of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Where all the interior pics, so we know whether or not it is worth the pain.
Appreciate 0