ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

recomendation for fcab bushing press?

I'm going to be installing powerflex fcab's soon. Any recommendations on tools to press the bushings in/out of the lollipops?

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27pc-Tool-Se...-/252424169860

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIS-BMW-FCAB...-/281900588564

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
N55_Mike
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, Z4MC, MK7 GTI

I got a FCAB press tool of Amazon, recently used it to install my Powerflex FCAB's. Worked great! Here is the link to it :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:53 AM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post

Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27pc-Tool-Se...-/252424169860
I have that universal kit. Thats a great kit to have.
If you're just going to do the fcabs and never any other bushings, you're better off buying a kit specific for the fcab's (faster, you dont have to wind in the long threads), but if you think you'll do anything else, ever, get that universal kit.
I polybushed my complete rear axle with it, all 17 pressed bushings in less than 3,5 hours (less than 15min per bushing) so it's very versitile as theyre all different sizes and does the job. Buying the specific tool for each and every of those bushings would have cost me thousends.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_Mike View Post
I got a FCAB press tool of Amazon, recently used it to install my Powerflex FCAB's. Worked great!
Thanks. I already have this tool, but don't see how it helps press the bushing in/out of the lollipop. Did you have the bushing pre installed in the lollipop?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I have that universal kit. Thats a great kit to have.
Thanks. Addng tools to the collection...hmmmm, let me think.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
N55_Mike
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, Z4MC, MK7 GTI

Oh my bad haha, you can't push it in/out of the lollipop. I had a local shop press it in for me.

Quote:
Thanks. I already have this tool, but don't see how it helps press the bushing in/out of the lollipop. Did you have the bushing pre installed in the lollipop?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

So, ummm... having removed the old fcabs I see that the new superflex bushings are quite a bit taller than the oem bushings. I assume that the new bushings should still be centered in the lollipops? That is, equal amount of bushing sticking out of the lollipop on both sides? Or do I have the wrong bushings?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
So, ummm... having removed the old fcabs I see that the new superflex bushings are quite a bit taller than the oem bushings. I assume that the new bushings should still be centered in the lollipops? That is, equal amount of bushing sticking out of the lollipop on both sides? Or do I have the wrong bushings?
Correct, they center in the lolly
I also found that there were no index markings, so made my own index markings to align the offset properly.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

I see you bought that universal kit (if I interpret the blurry stuff in the background). So it did the job? (seeing a single used busing )
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Good eye! Yes, it worked great for pressing out the bushing, once I cut out enough of the old bushing so I could get the threaded rod down the middle. (The M has offset bushings.) Not so much luck pressing in the new bushing though. They keep slipping and getting jammed at an angle. I think I'll have to find a press or have a shop press them in.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Correct, they center in the lolly
I also found that there were no index markings, so made my own index markings to align the offset properly.
Thanks! In rereading your old post on these I take it you used a vise to press in the bushings? Can you provide more details on the technique you used?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Thanks! In rereading your old post on these I take it you used a vise to press in the bushings? Can you provide more details on the technique you used?
with a vise you still need a cup for it to push into....
Its OK for a one time job.

I have the universal kit now that Ive ended up doing a few.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Not so much luck pressing in the new bushing though. They keep slipping and getting jammed at an angle. I think I'll have to find a press or have a shop press them in.
Also if you use the cups upside down? (so that you have a flat surface to press against the bushing and lollypop).

If you then want to tighten the nut, you must either have long sockets with a hex on the end, or you put another cup inside to raise the nut.

Oh wait, it obviously has to fit with the offset center. Maybe the biggest cups?
I can imangine that the load is distrbuted unevenly because of that offset center and that that is a pain.

Maybe you can get them started in a vise.
Also to press them through with the offset center might be a challenge (the part where the bushing will come through the lollypop). Either in the vise or in a press.
You can use the cups under a press too obviously.
Having the cups is already half the challenge to press fit something under a press too.

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-31-2016 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

The superflex bushings have a removable core. The hole is large enough, even with the offset, to get the rod through, so no problems there. Clever design, and I assume it also removes any twisting load that might otherwise be placed on the bushing. I'll try with the cups reversed as you suggest and see if I have better luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:59 AM   #15
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep

Just to wrap this up. Spent a couple of hours trying to get the bushings pressed in with the cups and threaded rod. Just couldn't get them to stay straight. Would go crooked every time. I went to a local diy shop and used their press. Done in 15 minutes. All buttoned up and ready for thunderhill this weekend. Hoping the front end squirm braking for T1 is gone!
Appreciate 0