ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Interesting! Porsche and other European manufacturers are using Mobile 0-40 quite a bit. The Porsche 997.2 has that as the preferred oil.

We'll have to see how this pans out but it's intriguing.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #24
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Just a word of caution to those who want to change oil viscosities: You should do so while monitoring oil pressure to make sure that it doesn't thin too much at higher temps (that it keeps a minimum pressure at the bearings). I'm taking a slight risk when doing this with no oil pressure monitoring. From the research I've done and my last UOA, I'm pretty safe. I'm also kinda looking at getting a gauge or two. I also don't drive hard enough to raise oil temps above 12 o'clock on that gauge. Also, an ideal solution for people that track their cars would be to find a brand of oil that has proper viscosities for both street and racing applications so you are not switching brands just to go to the track. Also, my car does burn Mobil 1. I had to add about 700 ml between oil changes.

That being said, I'm planning to keep using Mobil 1 for street purposes. Sadly no track days are in my nearish future.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0